The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-03-2015, 09:14 AM

Default guitar construction question re bridge

I have a sort of "guitar construction general knowledge" question regarding the bridge. Possibly in the stupid question category.

When building an acoustic guitar, I believe that the bridge is just glued to the guitar top. Similarly there's another piece of wood glued to the underside of the top (bridge block?) directly underneath the bridge which I believe helps support and strengthen the bridge.

Wouldn't it make more sense to somehow connect these two pieces directly ie have a pins or dowels or something which pass through the guitar top and bind the two pieces of the bridge together? Wouldn't that make the bridge stronger and more of a single unit? Perhaps the glue used already provides enough bonding strength and additional mechanical binding wouldn't add anything?

My Music (Guaranteed bagipe free!): https://soundcloud.com/derek_barlas
Old 12-03-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpipe View Post
Perhaps the glue used already provides enough bonding strength and additional mechanical binding wouldn't add anything?
There's your answer.

It's not a stupid question btw, it's actually a very intelligent question ... I always like to see contributions from people who think creatively, outside the box.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:45 AM

Yes, that would make the joint stronger BUT it is completely unnecessary as a good glue joint is more than sufficient to provide the needed structural integrity. Additionally, the joint should be designed with repairability in mind. Dowels or pins would make removing the joint difficult. Also, it is better for a failed joint to just fail rather than cause catastrophic damage to the soundboard region as would likely result from a failed joint that incorporated pins. This is why the use of hide glue for the bridge joint is useful. Hide glue is great for repair because fresh glue can be applied over the previous glue and achieve original strength. Other glues must be removed as they can't be applied over a previous layer of glue.

For the most part, everything you see on the guitar in terms of construction is well thought out. Very clever people have been working on the design and refining it for centuries now.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:17 PM

Some bridges were bolted together to the bridge plate. However, truth is, the strength of the wood joints is absolutely fine and the bolts don't really add to the strength much at all, if any. Hence, most guitars do not use bolts.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 12-11-2015, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpipe View Post
Wouldn't it make more sense to somehow connect these two pieces directly ie have a pins or dowels or something which pass through the guitar top and bind the two pieces of the bridge together? Wouldn't that make the bridge stronger and more of a single unit? Perhaps the glue used already provides enough bonding strength and additional mechanical binding wouldn't add anything?
As mentioned above, the addition of dowels or locating pins does not increase strength, I have found many guitars that have been fitted with them, but really they were unnecessary IMO.

Biggest thing is to make sure grain direction of the bridge plate and bridge is opposite to the sound board, think of ply wood construction.

Last, there is no such thing as a stupid question, it's the unasked question that is stupid.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 12-11-2015, 11:39 AM

not a fan of bridge bolts myself. usually seen on imported economy models and on some gibsons (tradition i assume, they know better). annoying when rusted or seized up. adds unnecessary weight to the top imo.

sometimes the bridge is pinned to the top with either shallow, small plastic dowels or traditionally with tiny brads. these usually do not go through the top and into the bridge plate. this is done to help keep the bridge in place when gluing and aids in securing bridge location. doesn't do anything to improve the perpendicular adhesion to the top but can help minimize glue creep parallel to the top over time when glues that can move are used.

Last edited by arie; 12-11-2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:02 PM

One problem with hardware, like bridge bolts, is that they concentrate the stress. They don't usually seem to keep the bridge on better, and once it starts to lift they distort the top and the bridge in ways that make it much harder to repair. In the worst case they will pull through the top and do a lot of damage. On the whole, even if you have to repair the thing sooner without the bolts, it's better to leave them out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair