The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-30-2024, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantex View Post
What would be a noticeable step up in quality?
Not that you haven't read this kind of thing on these forums before, but... the most noticeable difference in sound quality, just about always, is when you start working in a good-sounding space. Or at least one that isn't hurting you.

I've got stuff I've recorded in a good space with my iPhone that sounds... well, I'll let you be the judge if you'd like me to post a link. I have a friend who's a "studio tourist" and has sent me phone recordings from Sun in Memphis and Abbey Road, and guess what they sound like?

In the meantime, even if your recording space is just what it is, good arrangements and decent playing and singing will be plenty to teach your players the songs -- the song and the feel will still be there. Get that right and your players will be more motivated to do their best.

Couch Standards
Old 03-30-2024, 12:37 PM

The texassongwriteru.com songwriting contest is any genre. My stuff falls in that singer-songwriter space between country and rock.

The Revive Audio modification sounds very interesting. Thanks for the info @ACOUSTICDEWD

Room is 12' 10" x 14' 2" x 9'
Old 03-30-2024, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Room is 12' 10" x 14' 2" x 9'
Okay, not a huge room so the advice given on adding room treatment is spot on. If you haven't done so already, the stickied thread has a section on room treatment on post 18. The videos included are worth watching. There's also a template that might be helpful.

AGF MEMBERS GEAR LIST, TUTORIAL VIDEOS, PODCASTS, & COMPREHENSIVE BEGINNERS GUIDE
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 03-30-2024, 06:07 PM

I use a Focusrite 2i2. It is ok for plugging in instruments, but the best "upgrade" I found for it with microphones is to go analog as the first link in the signal chain. Specifically for me, an Allen&Heath console with the (I believe) D series preamps. The overall sound quality of the signal, the clarity of sound in particular, is plainly audibly superior with the A&H preamps. But, the units they offer containing that circuitry will take some coin to procure, which was worth it to me at the time and in the circumstance. I still use it here in my home studio, but would probably not have acquired it for what I do now. But it is a good feeling to know that I can produce release-quality material if I want to, without fretting over my gear.

However, the rabbit hole you are peeking into can be nearly as bad as the acoustic guitar rabbit hole. Case in point; I got my computer guy building me a new computer for my DAW with an octo-processor and over-the-moon-graphics package. My rationalization is that I've decided to keep my current project in-house and play nearly everything myself, which will likely involve many more tracks open than with a band and overdubs. Yes...my quad package would likely do the job and I will probably never cause the octo beast to break a sweat but...it's got the clear sides and lights and stuff and will look marvelous! And never causing it to break a sweat is the whole point.

Don't say you were never warned...
Old 03-30-2024, 08:07 PM

Quote:
I bought an SM57 to try instead of the Focusrite mic but the interface doesn't have enough juice to power it.
I don't understand this. An SM57 is a dynamic mic and should work well with any interface with a mic preamp. It does not require the interface to provide any power, nor should it require additional amplification.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 03-30-2024, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
I don't understand this. An SM57 is a dynamic mic and should work well with any interface with a mic preamp. It does not require the interface to provide any power, nor should it require additional amplification.
I actually did get it to work by turning the gain way up. I haven't tried it in a while - I'll give it another go.
Old 03-30-2024, 08:53 PM

Quote:
I actually did get it to work by turning the gain way up. I haven't tried it in a while - I'll give it another go.
You didn't say what generation of Focusrite Solo you have. On my Gen 3, which has 56db of preamp gain, I need to turn up to around 9:00 on the knob for an SM58, which isn't a particularly "hot" mic. If you've got an older Gen 2, it only has 50db, so you'll need to crank it a notch more. That's totally fine, though. Just crank it until you get the green LED flashing consistently and you'll be fine.
Old 03-31-2024, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post

The SM57 is a dynamic mic and doesn't need phantom power. If you mean that the Solo doesn't have the *gain* to turn it up loud enough... it ought to. Don't be afraid to crank the gain knob on the interface until you get the LED ring to flash green, that's plenty. It doesn't need to go to yellow or red. I've used an SM57 with my Focusrite 2i2 and it records fine.
Agree with that, and the other advice in his reply.

The SM57, as you probably know already, is a workhorse, industry standard around the world, and for good reason. When used as it was intended, you shouldn't have a gain problem. One option though, is a in-line boost device, and the Cloudlifter is another industry standard piece of gear to boost dynamic mic's gain, (by using phantom power). But they also boost noise, so a mic not designed for distant high gain settings will likely not make you happy merely by a boost in gain. Plus, for the price of a cloudlifter, there are several very respectable condenser mics that would likely get you more of what you're looking for
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 03-31-2024, 06:11 AM

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...lett-do-I-have

I have a 3rd generation.
Old 03-31-2024, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
OK So if you are good with the one mic pre and DI. for your recording method
At this point I don't see a lot sound quality improvement to be had by upgrading the interface to simply a Claret. Again I would focus on some type of portable acoustic panels and or maybe a mic upgrade

While Solo's 56 db of gain should be adequate and for a dynamic mic like the Shure 57 I would suspect you will have to use much or most of that gain.

Where as a Condenser mic with phantom power will need less preamp gain and will ultimately mean less self noise BUT in general may also pick up room reflections more readily than a dynamic especially in an untreated environment

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-31-2024, 01:22 PM

SM57 worked pretty good today after turning the gain almost all the way up.

Ok, I'll look into a mic upgrade and maybe some new headphones, room treatment and work on EQing.
Old 03-31-2024, 01:30 PM

Quote:
I bought an SM57 to try instead of the Focusrite mic but the interface doesn't have enough juice to power it. Is there a better reasonably priced mic for guitar and vocals?
I did just think of one more thing. Dynamic mics like the SM58 are less sensitive than condenser mics. So they are fine for things like vocals where you are singing with some volume and you are close--within a couple inches--to the mic.

However, if you are trying to record the guitar through the SM58, that lack of sensitivity is more of an issue. One, it's difficult to get the mic as close without it getting in the way. If you have a stand with a boom, you can get it around 6-8" away. And then if you're playing soft, fingerstyle-type stuff, the guitar volume may just not be as loud as it could be. It's less of an issue if you are strumming hard. But it may be another part why you have to crank the gain so much.

The sensitivity issue is one reason that condensers are used for recording, plus that sensitive diaphragm is typically able to capture more transients and "detailed" sound. If the issue is recording the guitar, I'd suggest you try that Focusrite condenser that came with the kit again. Compare it to the SM58 and see which you prefer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD