The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 07:06 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Arrow SOLD:R Taylor Style 2 Englemann/EIR **Amazing guitar**

R Taylor Style 2 Englemann/EIR

I bought this a while back and I love it. But, with the addition of my most recent build I find myself again with more guitars than I can play in the limited time I have. As such, I need to sell this one.

It has a very full tone more like a larger guitar, with the comfort of a smaller guitar. You would truly think you're playing a much larger guitar. The wood combination is extremely nice as Englemann is my favorite top wood for it's ability to "round" the tone, while the EIR is excellent on this one in providing that definitively solid low end.

It plays beautifully and is in virtually mint condition as I can't find a mark on it anywhere. The size of the guitar makes it really comfortable to play, and the short scale length at 24 7/8makes it easy. The string height is "perfect Taylor"...low and fast. It has a small amount of fret wear but it is not even close to needing any fret work. The case is mint as well. It has the built in no controls Expression system which sounds awesome. I am only the second owner and I humidify and take great care of my instruments. Style 2 guitars rarely come up for sale and it is clear to anyone who has played them why they don't...limited supply and stellar guitars!!

As everyone knows, the R Taylor brand isn't built these days, but is well known for having not only the finest woods, but also the caring hands of master luthiers to tune each guitar tonally to the highest standards of custom built instruments.

Here's what R Taylor said about these:

"After experimenting with body shape and dimension, bracing size and placement, scale lengths, bridge size and peghead design, the R. Taylor Style 2 was born. The body measures 15 inches wide at the lower bout (Style 1 being 16-1/4 inches), and 4-3/16 inches deep at the lower bout (compared to 4-7/16 inches for Style 1).

While the Style 2 will certainly appeal to fingerstyle players, guitarists of every ilk will find inspiration in their hands. As a result of the carefully thinned back, sides and top, and the light scalloped bracing, it takes very little energy to make the entire guitar body come alive. The sound is signature R. Taylor, offering superb note definition over the entire fingerboard, exquisite sustain, and chords that bloom as a finely balanced palette of expression. Together these tonal traits translate the player’s intentions into what we all ultimately seek: musicality.

Departing slightly from the Style 1 options, Style 2 features just one bracing pattern/top geometry: light, forward-shifted X bracing, with a 65-foot radius top."

Specifications:

Build Date: 2008
Body Size: Style 2
Back and Sides: East Indian Rosewood
Top: Englemann Spruce
Top Geometry: 65' Radius
Top Bracing: Style 2- Adirondack Spruce
Scale Length: 24 7/8"
Neck: Tropical Mahogany
Headstock Overlay: Ebony
Nut Width: 1 3/4"
Neck Shape: RT Standard Carve
Binding: Ebony
Fretboard Inlay: None
Case: Custom Ameritage R Taylor Signature Case

SOLD. Includes case and ground shipping via Fedex. Paypal fees are not included, and I'll accept a check or you can choose F&F method if you prefer. I'm open to trades plus cash or to reasonable offers.

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!

Last edited by invguy921; 08-25-2016 at 07:30 AM.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Smile Ooooohhhhh.....

Woody is a wonderful seller, and a swell guy. As many will no doubt chime in here ! He takes super care of his guitars, and knows how to ship!!!

And of course the all RTs are awesome, but the style 2s are so comfy...

Can't go wrong here, folks!!!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 08-23-2016, 03:06 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Woody is a wonderful seller, and a swell guy. As many will no doubt chime in here ! He takes super care of his guitars, and knows how to ship!!!

And of course the all RTs are awesome, but the style 2s are so comfy...

Can't go wrong here, folks!!!

Cheers

Paul
Paul, Thank you! You better than anyone know how great these guitars are since you've owned a bunch of them.

I personally think that the Style 2 is a perfect guitar. The size is...as you said...very comfy to play with the short scale length and the smaller body size. And yet, these absolutely blow Taylor GC's away. This one has the tone of a much larger body. I shouldn't sell it, but I can't own everything.

Someone will love this guitar!

Old 08-24-2016, 07:14 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Bump to allow trades plus cash and reasonable offers.

Get with me and get one of the finest smaller body guitars built for the money!

Old 08-25-2016, 05:30 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Thanks to those of you who have inquired recently about this guitar.

A person this morning asked about how these guitars compare in size to an "OM", here was my response:

"Thanks for the interest and the question. First, as a point of reference, here are the "standard sizes" of guitars' lower bout with most manufacturers:

Historically:

0 = Concert = 13-1/2" lower bout
00 = Grand Concert = 14-1/2"
000 = OM = Auditorium = 15"
0000 = M = Grand Auditorium = 16"

So, typically a "parlor" is in the 13 1/2 range, although I've seen some bigger and smaller. That said, an "OM" is almost always a 15" lower bout and typically they are on the thinner side in depth (around 4" at the butt end"). Your Dread is likely in the 16" range and slightly deeper (possibly 4 1/2 or more) than an OM. I've found there are few absolutes in guitar building but these are the typical ranges.

So, coming around to the "Style 2" in the R Taylor guitar, this is what R Taylor said about these guitars:

"After experimenting with body shape and dimension, bracing size and placement, scale lengths, bridge size and peghead design, the R. Taylor Style 2 was born. The body measures 15 inches wide at the lower bout (Style 1 being 16-1/4 inches), and 4-3/16 inches deep at the lower bout (compared to 4-7/16 inches for Style 1)."

So, you can see that the Style 2 is almost exactly like the OM size guitar. I think the Style 2 may be 1/8 inch deeper than most OM's, and the body shape is slightly different as most OM's have a more "pinched waist". They feel like a mid sized guitar when you play them...the best of all worlds is what I think you're seeking...the more comfortable size of the smaller guitar with more tonal depth. Voila...the Style 2 R Taylor .

If you haven't read about how R Taylors were built, you should. They were the cadillac of Bob Taylor's guitars and each were hand built by his very best luthiers and each have individual bracing strategies that were hand carved for optimal tone. These are not production guitars, but highly customized.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:29 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Consider it SOLD AGF! Thanks to all who inquired. Style 2's never last long at this price.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:02 AM

Just saw this now and I'm not surprised at all that it sold this fast. Congrats on the sale Mike!
Old 08-25-2016, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Smile Congrats

Congratulations to the new owner! You will be stoked.

Mikes guitars are superlative!!!

And all RTs are soooo good...

Cheers. Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 08-25-2016, 01:07 PM

Wink Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chedeng88 View Post
Just saw this now and I'm not surprised at all that it sold this fast. Congrats on the sale Mike!
I had just wrote Mike last night! Oh well...
Old 08-25-2016, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

hot dang it! i snooze, i lose...again. this work thing is getting in the way of curing my gas problem .
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars