The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-31-2012, 07:39 PM

Except on my oud and when I need flat wounds (on one of my arch tops) I use Elixirs. I explain why here...

http://proguitarsecrets.blogspot.com...r-strings.html

Acoustics: Martin D-35, 1924 Martin 0-28k, Taylor 814-ce, Gibson Dove, Lowden F-22, 60's Gibson Folksinger, Taylor 655, Martin Baritone (prototype), Larrivee Parlor (tuned high-strung)
Old 11-01-2012, 09:30 AM

Strings are strings to me... Like motor oil; just brands to choose from. I care about gauges and price, but that's about it.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbdeweese View Post
Strings are strings to me... Like motor oil; just brands to choose from. I care about gauges and price, but that's about it.
Good thing about this statement is that you have at least one more thing to learn in this life - - - - -
Old 11-01-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landru View Post
Good thing about this statement is that you have at least one more thing to learn in this life - - - - -
Hehe; I like that... I'm not trying to trivialize everyone's opinions. I'm sure there are subtle differences between brand x and brand y; I'm just saying that I think people get too caught up in this. I don't think you can go wrong with whatever goes with your setup. I've tried a lot of brands (staying away from the very cheapest because I do generally believe you get what you pay for), and I've never had a set that made a good guitar sound bad, or a bad one sound good. They just don't make that much of a difference to me. The coated ones seem to last longer, but I'm not sure that they do if your vigilant about keeping them clean. Even if they do last longer they're not that cost effective. Stings have just never been a detrimental factor in my own experiences.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:34 AM

Default Godin A6 Ultra

Hi !

I am writing from Croatia. I just got my new Godin A6 Ultra. Before I played Cort CJ10X and as normal used phosphor bronze strings but with Godin A6 Ultra is different story. >This is hybrid guitar that can produce electric and acoustic sound.It just sounds great. The recommend strings for electric guitar with G string WOUNDED??!!! Any clues which strings should I get.Of course talking about .012 ...

Thank you,

Tom
Old 11-16-2012, 03:28 AM

Question for the gurus amongst you:

I have a little hand built instrument (well, not a parlour, but not a dread - sort of a wide bodied/thin waisted OOO), that, while it is the most beaituful guitar I own (almost - I own too many guitars), its sound was very disappointing... UNTIL I dropped the D -then it was better. Then I tuned it down to DADGAD, and it was amazing. Regular tuning base D rather than E, still amazing. It is NOT a Bari instrument, it just seems the wood was tuned to a D.

SOOOOO, I am wondering if perhaps a medium guage rather than a light guage would be better tuned down like this?

As far as BRAND - that's a whole 'nother can of worms for me. Sometimes it seems my ears change day-to-day...

Thanks for your opinions!
Old 11-16-2012, 03:31 AM

These days, depending on the guitar I use three brands:

DR Sunbeams
Pyramid PB's
Martin SP 80/20's (for rosewood guitars)
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 11-16-2012, 03:48 AM
Guest 429

Elixir 80/20 Nanoweb lights

Last edited by Guest 429; 03-25-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:39 AM

I use the strings that the manufacturer fits to the guitars, so that is:

On the Yamahas I use Yamaha FS50BT strings

On the Taylors I use Elixir 80/20s.

The FS50BTs are a touch expensive, but I really like them and the Elixirs 80/20s I quite like as well.

I have tried Elixir PBs but found them too slippery; Newtones which I quite liked but aren't always easy to get hold of; D'Addario EJ16s which I found OK as well. I also tried some old style Yamaha strings that were pretty bad.
Yamaha SLG100S
Illegitimi non carborundum
Old 11-16-2012, 10:29 AM

Your environment has a lot to do with strings. Humidity isn't good for them. That being said, when I play outside on a really hot day Elixir Nano Custom lights. I love Martins, but for some reason they don't last long for me. I have owned a lot of great guitars and the strings you put on them can drastically change the sound. The same string doesn't sound great on every guitar. I am not a string snob. Mediums don't always sound better and just because they came on your guitar, doesn't mean they're the best string for it and you. Right now I have Elixir CL Nano's on my Martin. If I'm going to play bluegrass, I put medium Martin Marquis on them. The type of music and whether or not you are amplified has a lot to do with how you sound. I've found that my acoustics played electrically can be EQ'd to sound the same regardless of the string. I've played for 40+ years and I have noticed that your choice of guitar pick makes more difference than your strings. Try a V Pick sometime. Incredible. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for everyone.

1979 Martin D-35, 1978 Yamaha G230 classical, Yamaha A3R VS, Yamaha AC3R VS, Yamaha LS16 ARE sunburst, Yamaha NCX1200R Classical, Wechter TO-8418, Wechter DN 8128, Takamine EG334C.][/COLOR]
Old 11-16-2012, 03:24 PM

John Pearse strings on my D18
Old 11-17-2012, 12:41 AM

Default Strings

John Pearse Phospher/Bronze. The only way to go.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:42 AM

I am currently using Dean Markley Alchemy Gold bronze that I bought in bulk for a steal, but they seem to lose their brightness rather quickly even though they are coated. I am expirimenting with Dean Markley Helix strings also, so far not bad but nothing to really write home about. I like DR Dragonskins a lot, and I'm back and forth with D'Addario EXP's. My "go-to" string for a quick fix are Martin SP's or Dean Markley Formula 82/R's.

Martin GPC 11E
Guild CV-1
Gibson L-00 Studio
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 11-17-2012, 08:19 AM

martin sp's, 80-20, light.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

My preference is D'addarios on all of my acoustics.Previously have placed Dean Markelys(awful),Ernie Ball(too neutral),various Martins(short-lived).Elixirs(don't like shredded look,too much treble).

Recently tried these:John Pearse 610LM Silk Phos Bronze

Very nice feel and sound up to the Daddario standard.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion