The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-07-2024, 03:48 AM

Default ToneDexter ii vs LR Baggs VPDI

Is the ToneDexter ii worth the investment or should I just stick with my LR Baggs VPDI?

MK
Old 05-09-2024, 02:54 AM
Charter Member

BS reply, but I’ll go ahead -

If the VPDI is doing all you need, and you are quite satisfied with it, then stick with it. If you are not, then the TD2 is well worth getting, as it is an astounding piece of gear, with a lot of advanced capabilities that may or may not be useful to you. Since backing up and restoring wavemaps is very easy, maybe someone near you would let you give it a try some time. It only takes a few minutes to get a very good idea of how it works and sounds -

But I am an absolute believer in the TD2, and have no experience with the VPDI, so season my response with that -
Old 05-09-2024, 06:50 AM

I don't own the TDII but I do have the original and also own the VP. IMO, the TD is far more natural sounding. It definitely gives you much more of that "wow" factor. The VP, although a nice unit, always just sounds like a cheaper IR. There's always a piezo quality no matter where the blend is and I find it basically enhances the low end far too much but also cuts a lot of body out of the higher strings making them seem a bit thin/tinny. I think the VP is a cool idea that just wasn't totally worked out. That's just my opinion though.

Having said that, I don't use either. The TD is great but I just found it difficult to ever truly get a great IR that would work live. I have used the blend but I just always sound distant. The newer version seems to fix a lot of this though. It's tempting but I am bad for spending tons on outboard gear and never being satisfied with it in the end.
Old 05-10-2024, 06:23 PM

Thank you!
Old 05-11-2024, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkennedy5683 View Post
Is the ToneDexter ii worth the investment or should I just stick with my LR Baggs VPDI?

MK
Hi mkennedy
I own an original ToneDexter which I’ve been using exclusively with my acoustics for nearly 6 years now. It’s amazingly realistic, and I have zero issues pulling wonderful WaveMaps (voices).

I’m sure from the reading and listening I’ve done the ToneDexterII is the way I’d go if starting from scratch…It does even more than the original, and more simply.

If you are playing out a lot, and wanting something flexible and realistic sounding, then ToneDexters do it well. If the ‘realistic’ “It sounds like MY guitar” aspect is not paramount, but you want it to sound ‘acoustic’ through amps and PA systems, there are many other choices.

Hope you find what you need…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification