The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-11-2015, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Default MartinCEO/Waterloo/C-10

I currently own a Martin CEO-7, but I think I'd like a Waterloo and I've played a few C-10's that I liked. I have found a Collings "varnish" OM that I'm really dying for. So, if any of you own more than one of these I'd like to have your opinion on them. I know they are not that much a like. But, I'd like to hear your opinions. How they compare, how they differ. If you have a CEO and a Waterloo..which one could you live without. I haven't actually laid my hands on a Waterloo...but they are cool...If you own a Collings OM and a Waterloo or a Collings OM and a Martin CEO-7...which is your favorite and why....I could buy the Collings but I'd have to sell my CEO....and right now I'm torn....need help!!!!
Old 03-11-2015, 10:23 AM

Sell the CEO, Buy the Collings OM varnish and skip the Waterloo. How's that for a decisive answer?
Old 03-11-2015, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Default that is a good plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Sell the CEO, Buy the Collings OM varnish and skip the Waterloo. How's that for a decisive answer?
That is probably the best plan...that was the first "varnish" finish Collings I'd ever even held. It's amazing. And don't get me wrong...the CEO-7 is a really really good guitar...but not a great one.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
I currently own a Martin CEO-7, but I think I'd like a Waterloo and I've played a few C-10's that I liked. I have found a Collings "varnish" OM that I'm really dying for. So, if any of you own more than one of these I'd like to have your opinion on them. I know they are not that much a like. But, I'd like to hear your opinions. How they compare, how they differ. If you have a CEO and a Waterloo..which one could you live without. I haven't actually laid my hands on a Waterloo...but they are cool...If you own a Collings OM and a Waterloo or a Collings OM and a Martin CEO-7...which is your favorite and why....I could buy the Collings but I'd have to sell my CEO....and right now I'm torn....need help!!!!

Get your Waterloo fix for about $130... The Recording King Dirty Thirties 0, that's my take, YMMV

I dare you to A/B the two...
Old 03-11-2015, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleamp View Post
Get your Waterloo fix for about $130... The Recording King Dirty Thirties 0, that's my take, YMMV

I dare you to A/B the two...
Ok now, that's a bit of hyperbole, I used to own a RK Dirty Thirty and I really enjoyed it. And I've played a Waterloo, sort of the same concept, worlds apart in execution, quality, playability and sound.

Other than those points, sure,...
Old 03-11-2015, 11:22 AM

Could you get the Waterloo and keep the ceo. That would be my thoughts on the ideal situation. Not that I don't love the Collings its one of my favorite Collings, but I see the Waterloo and CEOs as much better values
Old 03-11-2015, 11:42 AM

Maybe this?

http://www.eastmanguitars.com/acoustic-doubleoo-e10ooss
Old 03-11-2015, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

I have a CEO-7 and a C10. I like the CEO-7 better in every way.

The C10 is loud and clear, but the CEO is much more colorful with better bass.

I also prefer the soft V neck to the Collings which is a baseball bat.

The physical balance of the C10 is a little off given the long scale neck on the L-00 shaped body.

I do prefer the C10 for gigs given that it takes full-on strumming better and can cut through the mix quite well given that clarity. The intonation is also perfect all the way up the neck on every string. Even with good luthiers I don't have that on my Martins (it's not that important in my case given my lack of nuanced technique...)

It kind of sounds like you're thinking blues here, and the C10 is no blues guitar (though you can play the blues on any guitar).

I would definitely keep my CEO over my C10 if I needed to make a choice.
My guitars include Gibsons, Martins, Fenders, and others
Old 03-11-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkgtr View Post
Ok now, that's a bit of hyperbole, I used to own a RK Dirty Thirty and I really enjoyed it. And I've played a Waterloo, sort of the same concept, worlds apart in execution, quality, playability and sound.

Other than those points, sure,...
Fair enough... Ones a Rolex, the other a Timex, both end with ex...
Old 03-11-2015, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP McD View Post
I have a CEO-7 and a C10. I like the CEO-7 better in every way.

The C10 is loud and clear, but the CEO is much more colorful with better bass.

I also prefer the soft V neck to the Collings which is a baseball bat.

The physical balance of the C10 is a little off given the long scale neck on the L-00 shaped body.

I do prefer the C10 for gigs given that it takes full-on strumming better and can cut through the mix quite well given that clarity. The intonation is also perfect all the way up the neck on every string. Even with good luthiers I don't have that on my Martins (it's not that important in my case given my lack of nuanced technique...)

It kind of sounds like you're thinking blues here, and the C10 is no blues guitar (though you can play the blues on any guitar).

I would definitely keep my CEO over my C10 if I needed to make a choice.
Thanks, that helps. I kinda like the idea of keeping the CEO and just getting the Waterloo...
Old 03-11-2015, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
Thanks, that helps. I kinda like the idea of keeping the CEO and just getting the Waterloo...
That seems like a good way to go -- not a lot of risk there, and the Waterloos seem like interesting guitars. You can always go for the Collings later if you're not satisfied.

Have fun!
My guitars include Gibsons, Martins, Fenders, and others

Last edited by JP McD; 03-11-2015 at 03:14 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 03-11-2015, 04:34 PM

I own a CEO-7 and have played the x braced Waterloo. For me CEO-7 sounds better. A fuller sound not thin. The Waterloo sounded thin to me. And the Waterloo's neck felt like a baseball bat.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Default Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000JB View Post
I own a CEO-7 and have played the x braced Waterloo. For me CEO-7 sounds better. A fuller sound not thin. The Waterloo sounded thin to me. And the Waterloo's neck felt like a baseball bat.
Thanks...that's kinda what I wondered about...I mean worried about..the CEO-7 to my ear has a "big" sound for it's small body and that's what I like about it...wish I could hear a Waterloo in person....
Old 03-11-2015, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

The Waterloo is now available with a thinner neck, I own a Collings OM and had a Waterloo for a couple days. I found the Waterloo great for fingerpicking, which I do very little of, so I returned it. No contest between it and the OM from my point of view. Never played a CEO-7, so no comment there. I just know that you'd have a heck of a time prying the Collings OM from my hands. If you go the CEO-7/Waterloo route, that varnish OM will haunt you until you go get it or someone else buys it. Save yourself the torture.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:09 PM

Buy the Collings, then sell me the CEO-7 at a substantially discounted price

In all seriousness you can't go wrong with the Collings, but go with what works best for you. There's lots of info on the Waterloo on the Collings forum that might help with your decision, in case you haven't checked there. Anyways, good luck with your decision!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion