The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-29-2015, 09:43 PM

Default Help Identifying Guitar maker

Hi Everyone, I recently acquired this vintage classical but there was no paper label inside or other marks. Does anyone recognize the maker? Also, can you tell what woods were used in construction. My first thought was spruce over mahogany, but the back wood doesn't match the mahogany backs on my other guitars. All the woods are solid.
Thanks for your help!
http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/akkorn57/library/
Harmony H-165 1969
Rosewood & Spruce Dread-Maker unknown
Epiphone Joe Pass Pro II
Old 11-29-2015, 09:48 PM

The cosmetics look like one of the makers in Mexico or Central America. Action looks like its a mile high. The neck heel almost looks like 3 pieces. Probably not the type of guitar that would be signed.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:06 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

THe fretbrd extension cutout is a bit odd, maybe someone will have seen that style before. Some makers stamp a number or a brand on the heel inside the guitar, you might try craning your neck up that way. As the above comment suggests, if nobody has bothered to take credit for the work, then all you can really do is enjoy the heck out of a new old instrument!

Last edited by dosland; 11-30-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:57 PM

There were remains of the the paper label, and glue traces along the inner back strip. I'm taking it in to a local luthier early next year to deal with the action. I was told it might be from the sixties so the neck bow is to be expected. Even so, it sounds wonderful.
Harmony H-165 1969
Epiphone Joe Pass Pro II
Old 11-30-2015, 01:32 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkorn View Post
There were remains of the the paper label, and glue traces along the inner back strip. I'm taking it in to a local luthier early next year to deal with the action. I was told it might be from the sixties so the neck bow is to be expected. Even so, it sounds wonderful.
And the plot thickens! Hopefully your luthier or someone else on here has some good ideas to offer. Meanwhile, is there any particular reason you're using the strings you have on there? You might get some loosey-goosey strings and see how those settle in and maybe give you some freedom with the neck. The only reason I suggest this is that there's someone on here with the closely-held religious belief that ball-end strings exert more tension on a guitar than standard tie down strings. I don't know anything about the physics that come up in such a discussion, but might be worth a relatively cheap experiment. Also, I can't make out any specific detail on the saddle, but you might be able to fiddle with that or replace it to improve playability a bit without going to the expense of a full neck adjustment. Not sure how much a neck adjustment would cost, or if they can even do that, but just another thought to throw into the mix. Good luck!
Old 11-30-2015, 03:31 PM

Looks like a cool guitar to me, hand made with decent materials. Looks like rosewood back and sides with spruce top and mahogany neck and rosewood fretboard and bridge.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:15 PM

Thanks for the replies!
dosland- I will try regular nylon strings without the ball end. These were just handy. There is a decent amount of saddle & see if I can get it sanded down.
Redar- I thought the back might be rosewood, but wasn't sure. It's definately handmade and looks better in person than in photos!
Harmony H-165 1969
Epiphone Joe Pass Pro II
Old 11-30-2015, 06:21 PM

Hi, It definitely looks like Mexican guitar made in Paracho, Mexico. The
body bindings are their style, Good Luck, Regards
Norman2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical