The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-24-2016, 10:57 AM

Default Fake fingernails.

I am experiencing some server fingernail damage from doing some rough work that took its toll. I am thinking of getting some glue ons and wonder what you all thought about them. Can I just buy some off the shelve, or do I need to go with something used by musicians? Do they stay on if not abused? My wife is no help, she never has used them. I will say after trying to use finger picks they do not seem to work for me, guess I am just to clumsy for them.

If a snake falls into your boat, for Gods sake, don't shoot it.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:27 AM

I had the same problem. So I tried drugstore glue-on nails. They worked well but didn't last more than a few days. So I went the nail salon my girl friend uses and had them put on one artificial nail. It cost $3. 5 weeks ago. And it works very well. (Better than my natural nails -- I'm considering having three more done.)
Old 08-24-2016, 11:33 AM
AGF Sponsor

As yellowesty says, I would recommend going to a good salon to have any artificial nails applied, especially if you haven't done it before.

Also, make sure you use the right tools for nail maintenance to keep them in the best condition. To my knowledge, my Precision : Crystal Pro nail file is the only glass nailfile in the world with a surface specifically developed for artificial nails.

Good luck with it, and I hope you can get back to playing soon.

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:54 PM

I recommend acrylics, not stick ons.

Lucky for me, my wife is a salon owner and does mine, and they last a very long time.

I only have them on my right (picking) hand on the thumb, index, middle and ring finger... I don't think it would cost very much at a salon.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

I've had very good results with Rico stick on nails and the Wolfram files work great with them.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 08-24-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram Slides View Post
As yellowesty says, I would recommend going to a good salon to have any artificial nails applied, especially if you haven't done it before.

Also, make sure you use the right tools for nail maintenance to keep them in the best condition. To my knowledge, my Precision : Crystal Pro nail file is the only glass nailfile in the world with a surface specifically developed for artificial nails.

Good luck with it, and I hope you can get back to playing soon.

Cheers,
David
I am stilling playing , its just when I finger pick, my nails are so short on the right hand even though I do have some callus on the tips of those fingers it is now just below those, and starting to dig into the meat just above the nail line, and somewhat uncomfortable at times.

If a snake falls into your boat, for Gods sake, don't shoot it.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:19 PM

Just today, I had my nail shop fill-in my acrylic nails. They are extremely durable and my wolfram file keeps them neat and smooth.

Btw, any questions about nail color are jokes. You will not be he first guitarist they've seen.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:13 PM

Be aware that long-term use of synthetic nails will greatly weaken your underlying real nails. I once used a cheap glue-on nail when I had to play a gig and had a bad break, but I removed it soon afterward. If you normally have strong nails, you may jeopardize their future health with long-term use of acrylics.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Be aware that long-term use of synthetic nails will greatly weaken your underlying real nails. I once used a cheap glue-on nail when I had to play a gig and had a bad break, but I removed it soon afterward. If you normally have strong nails, you may jeopardize their future health with long-term use of acrylics.
What is your source of this info?

Thanks,
NW
Old 08-24-2016, 09:24 PM

well respected internet source (must be right, right?)

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...s/faq-20057849

Can I harm my natural nails by wearing acrylic nails?
Answers from Lawrence E. Gibson, M.D.

Acrylic nails aren't likely to harm your natural nails but can sometimes cause problems, such as an infection.

If an acrylic nail is damaged or as your natural nails grow, a gap can develop between the acrylic nail and your natural nail. This gap provides a moist, warm environment in which a nail infection can flourish. A nail infection might also occur if acrylic nails are too long or rigid, or the nails are applied with unsanitary tools. It's also possible to have an allergic reaction to components of acrylic nails or their adhesives. Signs of a nail infection include redness, swelling and pus.

If you choose to have acrylic nails applied in a salon, take steps to minimize the risks:

Stick to salons that display a current state license, and work only with technicians also licensed by the state board.
Make sure your nail technician properly sterilizes all tools used during your treatment and washes his or her hands between customers.
Request a new nail file — or consider bringing your own — since nail files can't be sterilized.
Return to the salon every two to three weeks for maintenance.

If you apply acrylic nails at home, follow the safety precautions printed on the package. Work in a well-ventilated area, and protect the skin around your nails from the chemicals used during the application process.

Consider removing your acrylic nails and letting your natural nails breathe every two to three months. If you suspect a nail infection, consult a dermatologist for an evaluation.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:38 PM

I've used the Rico nails a few times when I had a gig and had a damaged nail or two. They worked well enough that I always have my nail kit along with a set ready. All the other alternatives I tried didn't appeal to me. At all. I like the temporary nature of them and they usually stay on, although I did have one pop off and land inside the guitar. I think they would work pretty well for some folks and poorly for others, depending on their right hand technique.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by news_watch View Post
What is your source of this info?

Thanks,
NW
Acrylics definitely damage the nail bed. As for other health effects, I don't know. But it takes my nails about 6 months to recover from having had acrylics.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
Acrylics definitely damage the nail bed. As for other health effects, I don't know. But it takes my nails about 6 months to recover from having had acrylics.
The nail bed is the skin underneath the nail ... in almost twenty years of having acrylics , on and off, I have never experienced any damage to the nail bed.

The acrylic, when removed, will remove a layer from the top of the nails, for sure , and the nail will be thinner than before the acrylic is applied, but that's the only downside. The answer is to leave the acrylic in place and not remove it.

Any suggestion that the long term application/retention of acrylic nails somehow causes adverse health problems is erroneous in the extreme, and the suggestion above by the so-called doctor that nails need to "breathe" is simply laughable. When acrylics are removed, the natural nail grows out and in a few months is exactly the same as it was before the acrylic was ever applied.

And a Wolfram file is a must for maintenance.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

I'm not an expert on the application of artificial nails - I play with natural nails - but here's a quick summary of what my customers have told me:

You get the best tone when your nail is in contact with the strings - so when acrylics extend beyond your nail to lengthen it, there's a negative impact on tone.

Acrylic can work well, and is very strong. However, it will take some nail material with it when it's removed, or lifts off the nail.

Silk wraps have a lot of proponents - but they won't lengthen your nails. I'm told they can be removed without any damage to the nail. This is what Martin Simpson uses, and it's very rare that he has a nail problem, despite hitting them very hard. It's also a great option for repairing a bad break to a nail.

Previous comments about ensuring that any artificial nails are applied properly - whether at a salon or DIY - make perfect sense, and I suspect that a lot of adverse reactions etc. may be down to misapplied products.

It is definitely the case that shaping and caring for artificial nails is a different task than for natural nails. When developing Precision : Crystal, I worked very closely with many players, both with natural and artificial nails. It became clear that, where players had artificial nails, they loved the original Precision : Crystal for final details and finishing, but still found it necessary to use a much coarser metal nail file for the rough shaping, simply because of the additional hardness of the artificial nails.

We developed Precision : Crystal Pro, with one fine surface and one special coarse surface designed specifically for shaping hard artificial nails, to fulfil our "one tool for all your nailcare" promise for players with fake nails.

It's great to hear from some of the comments here that it's fulfilling that promise and working well for people!

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram Slides View Post
You get the best tone when your nail is in contact with the strings - so when acrylics extend beyond your nail to lengthen it, there's a negative impact on tone.
David, have you made Tony McManus aware of this ?...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion