The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-24-2016, 09:23 AM

Hi Jimmy and welcome.
Try a Taylor 114e or ce Grand Auditorium
GC has them in stock.
Slim neck, easy to play, great tone.
Rated as one of the top 3 guitars under $1000 by this guy who is highly regarded when it comes to rating acoustic guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oARU15aZtIc
Old 08-24-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyohio75 View Post
Thanks for all of the advice thus far. I definitely need to invest some time at a few local music shops in order to play a bunch of guitars. My only gripe with places like GC, Sam Ash, etc is that the guitars on the wall (in most cases) are set up horribly which has a tendency to make you completely write off a certain model simply because it plays badly. Are there any acoustic brands that come set up fairly well from the factory so that I can get a realistic sampling of what to expect? Are there any brands that are notoriously set up badly so that I can know that in advance?
Taylor guitars have the best setup of any big name brand straight out of the box IMO. Breedlove is a close 2nd. Takamines are usually very playable too.

Keep in mind that most guitars (not all) will need a pro setup before they play the way YOU want them too. A good setup will run about 60-75 bucks depending on where you live and what needs to be done. Just remember - a good setup will make a world of difference in how one plays but a guitar that sounds like crap and plays great will always sound bad.

Like different pickups on electrics, acoustics will sound vastly different depending on: woods used for back, sides & top, bracing pattern & type, builder, etc.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 08-24-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Hi all, just registered this week. Been reading a lot, first post. I am 47 years old and have been playing guitar for over 35 years. Been in and out of bands, mostly hard rock type stuff. Believe it or not I have never owned an acoustic guitar. I have owned 10-15 Les Pauls and a few strats but no acoustics. Fast forward to today and major hearing loss has forced me to give up the electrics and I am looking to purchase my first acoustic. I will use it primarily around the house but I may get an acoustic-electric in case any gig opportunities surface in the future. Most important factor to me is sound. I want the guitar to sound great both unplugged and plugged in. I prefer a thin(ner) neck. I might prefer a small body or concert sized guitar for comfort since I am used to electrics. I don't want to sacrifice big booming sound to accommodate comfort. In other words if small bodied guitars all sound thin and weak then I will simply stick with a full sized dreadnaught guitar. I don't need bling such as mother of pearl inlays or super expensive binding. I just want the best built, best sounding guitar for the money. I would spend up to $1,000 but would be happier around $700-800. I guess this eliminates most Martin, Taylor, etc. I would appreciate any suggestions that the forum can provide. Thanks in advance.
Hello Jimmy, welcome to the acoustic world! I've been through lots of different brands of acoustics. My simple suggestion is: Try out some eastmans. The build quality for the price they have is fantastic in my opinion. I got myself a used ac412ce in a trade. In the beginning i thought: just another chinese copy. Little did i know.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
All of this advice is wrong. First acoustic guitar? Play a whole bunch of them and buy the one you like. You don't have to worry about electronics--you can always mic the guitar.

There are a gazillion choices under $1,000, including new Martins and Taylors. And lots of other used guitars that sell for over $1,000 new.

Play a bunch. Buy the one you like.
This is the best possible advice. I recently bought a new Gibson J-29 that I really love that has completely recharged my playing. This is because if you are playing something that sounds great to your ears you will be inspired to play it all the time. I, literally, grab my guitar as often as I can and only put it down when I have to.
The goal should be to try out as many as possible and buy the one you fall in love with: regardless of who makes it.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:17 PM

Also, it doesn't matter how well the guitar is set up when it leaves the factory. Don't expect much from big box stores. Find smaller, mom-and-pop stores even if they're a couple of hours away. Make it a field trip. The guitars will be setup better and probably won't have snot on the strings.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
. . . . I will use it primarily around the house but I may get an acoustic-electric in case any gig opportunities surface in the future. Most important factor to me is sound. I want the guitar to sound great both unplugged and plugged in . . .
While test driving guitars, I suggest spending as much time plugged in as not, in that case. In that price range you're unlikely to get electronics w/much in the way of great acoustic tone reproduction. Better to spend your $$ on good acoustic tone then research & install your pickup system later. There's a lot to choose from and plenty of info on this site about that subject.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:33 PM

Given my price range is it safe to say that a dreadnaught sized guitar will "almost always" sound bigger and fuller than a concert, folk or auditorium sized guitar when unplugged? Are there any exceptions to this rule? For instance would a $1,000 used Taylor (small body) sound just as loud as a full size of something cheaper like a Yamaha A3?
Old 08-24-2016, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Hi Jimmy, welcome to the other side and to the forum! I agree with most that's already been said, but will add a model to consider.

From your post I noticed lots of Lesters and only a few Fenders. Since you are so used to the short scale I suggest you look for a used Gibson J-15 to demo. Used you should be able to find one close to your price and things may feel somewhat familiar to you. A slope shoulder Eastman short scale would come a bit cheaper if you're ok with imports.

Most of us here will tell you not to stress too much over the first purchase...it may not be the last This assumption is based on "10-15 Les Pauls". Apparently GAS will not be a new phenomena in your guitar life
Old 08-24-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampix View Post
Hi Jimmy, welcome to the other side and to the forum! I agree with most that's already been said, but will add a model to consider.

From your post I noticed lots of Lesters and only a few Fenders. Since you are so used to the short scale I suggest you look for a used Gibson J-15 to demo. Used you should be able to find one close to your price and things may feel somewhat familiar to you. A slope shoulder Eastman short scale would come a bit cheaper if you're ok with imports.

Most of us here will tell you not to stress too much over the first purchase...it may not be the last This assumption is based on "10-15 Les Pauls". Apparently GAS will not be a new phenomena in your guitar life
You are absolutely correct. GAS has been part of my life for a long time. I can guarantee that once the acoustic bug gets me I will work my way through multiple guitars trying to find the one that speaks to me. Which will lead to two, three or four guitars that speak to me.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:52 PM

Since you've played electric for years, you should really just go try some out. There are some acoustics that tend to appeal to electric players more than others.

I played electric guitar professionally for many years and ended up falling in in love with an Ovation Balladeer. Still love that guitar.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Given my price range is it safe to say that a dreadnaught sized guitar will "almost always" sound bigger and fuller than a concert, folk or auditorium sized guitar when unplugged? Are there any exceptions to this rule? For instance would a $1,000 used Taylor (small body) sound just as loud as a full size of something cheaper like a Yamaha A3?
Well Jimmy, as a diehard OM guy, I would like to say that most smaller guitars can do what dreads can do. I would like to, but can't. That said, most other sizes work in almost every application well except for Bluegrass. In that instance, a dread is pretty much needed. For many people - a dread is TOO MUCH GUITAR to sing against (unless mic'ed). If you sing and play you should do both when you test drive guitars - you will quickly see what i mean. Yeah, you can power back your R hand technique some but some dreads are super responsive and LOUD. They could be too loud for some, even with a light R hand - depend on your vocal horsepower. I have a big voice and still prefer OM's.

FWIW - A really good OM or GA can easily be as loud as an average dread.

Many people consider the Taylor GA (Grand Auditorium) size kind of a swiss-army guitar. Does everything well but doesn't excel at any one thing. Others, like me, have a great affinity for OM's and smaller. For me, it's mostly due to comfort. I'm short, fat & muscular. Dreads and GA's are uncomfortable for me to play seated.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 08-24-2016, 05:50 PM

A Japanese built Takamine (Pro-Series) should suit your purpose. They are extremely reliable instruments and are exceptional value. Their NEX (mini-jumbo) body shape is a good all-rounder suitable for both fingerpicking and strumming, and it gives a balanced sound with excellent tone. Their on-board electronics are about as good as on-board electronics get and they sound a million dollars when plugged in.

While you state that you're not overly interested in how the guitar looks, Takamines are always beautifully finished to an exceptionally high standard.

You'll notice I have a Martin and a National in my signature, yet whenever I gig, it is always the Takamine I reach for first. If you don't want to take my word, you might want to ask Dave Gilmour, Nancy Wilson, Don Henley, Glen Frey, Jon Bon Jovi, Nils Lofgren...
1998 Takamine PT-508
1983 Ibanez V320
2011 Martin LX1
Old 08-24-2016, 08:54 PM

With acoustic guitars, the size of the body and bracing are what makes the bass response. If you need the bass of a big dread, you'll probably need the box to be about as big as a dread. The bracing styles and patterns can alter that somewhat as well as being a 12 fret vs a 14 fret guitar. 12 fret guitars can develop more bass. I think it has to do with the bridge being in a more central place on the body. The Grand Auditorium size is popular, because it doesn't feel as big as a dread, but are pretty deep and have a larger body than things like "OO" bodies. As someone mentioned, a good swiss army knife shape and size.

Brands and choices for under $1000 ? Lots, in the off shore market. A good number in the used market, and not as many in the made in USA market.

Besides the brands that you probably know, Taylor, Martin, Gibson, look at Breedlove, Larrivee, Guild, as well as Seagull for consistent build quality. Yamaha would be another one.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 08-24-2016, 10:09 PM

A few options in your price range:

USA built all solid wood choices
Slightly used Gibson J-15 or Gibson J-35. I have seen both of these models go as low as $950 on Craigslist and even used through GuitarCenter.com

Also look at the Martin D-1 (used mid 90s) or Martin D-1GT (used 2011-2014), these are A-braced models but all solid wood construction. Great for the money.

Foreign built
Blueridge (all solid wood guitars based on Martin and Gibson designs):
BR160A, BR160 (vintage Martin D28 copy)
BR140 (vintage Martin D18 copy)
BG140, BG160 (round shoulder inspired by the late 50s/early 60s Gibson J-45). I own a 2005 BG140 and it is probably my favorite flat-top acoustic and I own a few worth a lot more than the BG140)

Eastman (all solid wood copies based on Martin and Gibson designs)
E10SS (modern Gibson J-45 copy)
E20SS (modern Gibson J-45 Custom copy with Adirondack top)

Vintage Alvarez-Yairi (start around $600 used, exceptional value if you get one in great condition)

Alvarez Elite Masterworks series (all solid wood, excellent construction and value for the price) ($450-$600)

Epiphone Masterbuilt AJ500M, AJ500R, AJ45ME (all solid wood, good build quality, nice licensed/inspired by copies of older Gibson guitars ~$500-$650)

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 08-25-2016, 03:41 AM

You have the gift of experience so getting out there and playing a bunch of different guitars is great advice. As far as your remark about wall guitars lacking playability, use ears first. Any guitar can be set up and vastly improve its playability. Also I agree with the used market of Taylor's, Martin's, Gibson j-15 etc.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion