The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-06-2016, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheyjeff2 View Post
I had the same problem with my om28v. The luthier I go to with all of guitars found the nut was cut incorrectly. He put in a new nut for me and the problem was gone. The original nut was only slightly off, but it was enough to give me occasional trouble. I bought the guitar used so I didn't raise it with Martin. My guitar has remarkable tone and the fix was pretty inexpensive. We'll worth it to me.

Jeff
I had this exact same experience. A new nut solved the problem for me too. In the end, I didn't bond with the OM-28, but at least it had been corrected for the next guy who owned it.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:47 AM

Seems to me that if you have taken it to a Martin tech and it is still slipping, Martin would be my next call.
Breedlove Passport All-Hog Parlor 2014
Larrivee OM-02 2004
Guild GAD F-130
Seagull Entourage Rustic Mini Jumbo 2011
Zager ZAD 20 2004
Takamine GS430S
Martin LXM
3 Antique Classics

Good Things Come in Small Packages
Old 06-06-2016, 12:19 PM

I really can't believe how many members are willing to make excuses for Martin. Over here in the UK if something is not fit for purpose it is a good reason to return the goods and ask for you money back. "Well I know it's a brand new car but it slips out of gear, I will just have to get used to it. It never happens with other cars but it is a (insert big name brand here). Jeeesusss! Are Martin that special that they can do no wrong? If the e string slips off the fret board and it is the only guitar you own that does that, it's a bad guitar, badly designed, badly QI'd. Send it back.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
hi; just got my om28 martin brand new. does anyone have problem with the high E string slipping off the fret board ,up the neck a little? Martin says it is speced correctly.my other guitars don't do this. have 12's on it now.action is correct. i guess i just have to get used to it.
I have a 2014 Martin om28. The high e does slip off but only when I'm doing a bend where I pull away from the center of the fretboard or when I am doing some vibrato type stuff.

It does not slip when playing normal chords.

The fret ends are quite high i guess and the taper is steep. So when you bend towards the edge or vibrato too aggressively the string tends to slip.

I'll either cut a new nut or ease the taper of the edge with a bit of an edge fret dress. Or a combo of both those things.

Usually happens down in the first 2 or 3 frets. Kind of the open bluesy area where that kind of attack to a string can be common.

Certainly no slipping for normal chording.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:40 AM

I just bought a brand spanking new OM28 yesterday that had been at the store less than a week. I have not noticed high string slipping yet but I've only played a couple hours.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:44 AM

Well the brand new ones apparently have been made to address the issue. So you probably won't notice anything. I bet you can make them slip of you try.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:57 AM

I've had this happen to a GC while I was playing a Martin. I can't remember if it was an OM28 or a 00028 though. Because I was not interesting to buy anything, I just did not ask the employees about that at all. In your case you should send it back because you are the original owner and you are covered by the warranty.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:30 AM

Under what circumstances is the string slipping? When a normal open D is played? Like that? Or when the string is bent toward the edge? If it's slipping off when playing a simple open D chord then, yeah, something is weird for sure.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
this guitar is less than 6 months old. why would martin let guitars leave the factory like this ? i took it to them and the repair guy said that they are all like this.i guess it is a radius neck .my larrivee is flat too. i'll just keep playing the larrivee at my gigs until i can get someone else to look at it.
Martin lets them leave the factory like this because that is the way Martin makes them. What you are experiencing is the change from a flat fretboard to a fretboard with a radius. I like the Martin neck designs and play several variations from 1 11/16" to 1 7/8". I do not like flat fretboards. You won't find me complaining on a forum about Larrivee guitars leaving the factory with flat fretboards.

................Mike
Old 08-24-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orfeas View Post
I've had this happen to a GC while I was playing a Martin. I can't remember if it was an OM28 or a 00028 though. Because I was not interesting to buy anything, I just did not ask the employees about that at all. In your case you should send it back because you are the original owner and you are covered by the warranty.
I've been playing my 000-28 with Custom Lights on it every day for the last 6 years and it's never happened to me.

Sounds a bit disconcerting . . .

I don't believe 'this is how Martin makes them', otherwise they'd all do it - and they don't.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
i'd gladly pay to have it perfect; but why won't Martin take of it ? they say it is correct .not to you guys; not to me! i hope someone from Martin reads this thread.i paid an awful lot of money for this beatiful guitar!
It's a battle of wills. You should of returned it promptly. You could have a new nut cut ($60), cheapest way out, that will help with hopefully no intonation issues. My experience with Martin is when they decree their opinion it's futile to argue.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:30 PM

I had a similar problem with my brand-new Larrivee L-10 Custom. On close inspection it was a simple matter...whomever dressed the frets just went way overboard in dressing the ends, so that the bevel at the edge was too steep...went right over into the playing surface of the frets (it was like this the whole way up the board).

I tried to work with it for about a month and couldn't take it anymore, so I took a bunch of close up pics and sent them in to Larrivee. Long story short, I asked them to re-fret the guitar, which they did.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 08-24-2016, 07:56 PM

i've had three guitar techs look at it. they do not see a problem. i guess i am kinda getting used to it now[kinda]. if i play an Fmaj7 chord [up by the 9th fret] the high E string will definetly slip off the fretboard. if i play a barred C chord ,it feels like it will slip.i guess i like the flat fretboard better . my martin sounds better thru the fishman but my larrivee is more fun to play.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:02 PM

Return asap

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2016, 09:13 PM

The high-e fret ends on my D28 and on my 000-15M have too much filed off the end. They are angled in toward the strings, not leaving enough room. I kinda just adjusted my playing to get used to it but I still can't do a pull-off the way I can do with my Yairi. The fret ends of the Yairi are softly rounded off, leaving plenty of room. I sent a D15 back for the same problem except the fret end gouge on it was unacceptable. The slightest wiggle of the string sent it over the end and ... ping. I love my Martins but was disappointed in the fret work. Surely they know how to inspect fret work by now. Since I don't have any options around here (that I feel safe with) for refret/nut work, I just live with it.

I'd return it and get a guitar that works. Believe me, you don't just 'get used to it'. Every time it slips off, you'll regret not doing something about it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion