The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-24-2016, 06:50 AM

Default Let's talk advanced jumbos

I'm trading for one later this week. What do I need to know/look for?
Old 08-24-2016, 07:38 AM

The usual things - condition, playability. Good examples of Gibson Advanced Jumbos have a powerful, projective voice with a nice tonal balance between bass and treble. Another nice aspect of this model is that the notes in the chords are balanced, and you should be able to hear each note in every chord up the neck equally well.

This is in direct contrast to most square-shouldered dreadnoughts, where the low end can often dominate and the sound can get a bit muddy up the neck if you're playing chords.

I own a Gibson Advanced Jumbo and it's one of my favorite guitars. I like it so much I commissioned Howard Klepper to build me his interpretation of the same idea in black walnut instead of Indian rosewood.

So the Gibson is my AJ, and the Klepper is my KJ!

Anyway, it's one of the greatest acoustic guitar designs out there, so far as I'm concerned. It cuts through a crowd quite nicely.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-24-2016, 07:43 AM

Not much to say about the overall build, which is usually excellent. The normal caveats apply: watch out for nicks, scratches, the occasional high fret, cracks caused by abuse, etc. Other than that, keep in mind that the Advanced Jumbo is a very LOUD and very touch responsive guitar. If you play it too hard, it has a tendency to go "nasal" on you. But once you learn to control all that volume, the richness of color and complexity of the tone will really get to you and you've got a guitar you just can't put down.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
The usual things - condition, playability. Good examples of Gibson Advanced Jumbos have a powerful, projective voice with a nice tonal balance between bass and treble. Another nice aspect of this model is that the notes in the chords are balanced, and you should be able to hear each note in every chord up the neck equally well.

This is in direct contrast to most square-shouldered dreadnoughts, where the low end can often dominate and the sound can get a bit muddy up the neck if you're playing chords.

I own a Gibson Advanced Jumbo and it's one of my favorite guitars. I like it so much I commissioned Howard Klepper to build me his interpretation of the same idea in black walnut instead of Indian rosewood.

So the Gibson is my AJ, and the Klepper is my KJ!

Anyway, it's one of the greatest acoustic guitar designs out there, so far as I'm concerned. It cuts through a crowd quite nicely.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
And if you had a full scale built with mahogany back and sides, you'd have a J-35. Same body size, bracing, projection, and volume, but with a more cutting edge to it.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
And if you had a full scale built with mahogany back and sides, you'd have a J-35. Same body size, bracing, projection, and volume, but with a more cutting edge to it.

Toby, have you tried the 2016 J-35 Limited (Adirondack/sunburst)? I played one of these a few weeks ago and fell in love with it.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 08-24-2016, 01:04 PM

The pictures I've seen of them online the headstock looks a littler different than the typical Gibson shape. Is that typical or just a bad angle?
Old 08-24-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjones View Post
The pictures I've seen of them online the headstock looks a littler different than the typical Gibson shape. Is that typical or just a bad angle?
Nope. Gibson's idea in reviving the Advanced Jumbo was to make the reissues as exact copies of the legendary original 300 from the 1930s. In those days, Gibson headstocks had straight sides rather than the slight inward radius they acquired from 1941 on. Also, during the 30s, the Gibson logo went straight across the headstock, rather than at an upward angle, as it did after World War II.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
Nope. Gibson's idea in reviving the Advanced Jumbo was to make the reissues as exact copies of the legendary original 300 from the 1930s. In those days, Gibson headstocks had straight sides rather than the slight inward radius they acquired from 1941 on. Also, during the 30s, the Gibson logo went straight across the headstock, rather than at an upward angle, as it did after World War II.
Would someone mind PMing me a shot (or posting it here) of a headstock straight on if you have time?
Old 08-24-2016, 06:47 PM

What to look out for? I'd say watch out for the sheer power and volume of a real cannon! You're other guitars may be jealous and you may not play them for a while. My J45 and 000 don't get that much play now since getting my AJ and HD-28. Even though the AJ is a cannon, it's also great at low fumes where it still remains very responsive and detailed and lively with both pick or fingers. They do have (or at least mine does) slimmer necks, which can be deal breakers for some. luckily I can play pretty much any size neck, as long as it's not like a gargantuan baseball bat. Mine sounds best with 80/20's on it, which is interesting since I've never been a fan of 80/20's on any guitar in the past, but they seem to really work for this AJ. Get a good set up and you'll be loving it.

Here's a pic of my headstock. It's not straight on, but you can get the idea.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
Isn't a J35 short scale? And the bridges are different as well. Seems like the only thing they'd share is the bracing pattern (back and side woods excluded as you already mentioned).
Old 08-24-2016, 07:02 PM

Here's the difference in headstocks JR noticed:

Gibson Advanced Jumbo headstock

Gibson J-45 headstock

Good spotting there, Eagle Eye. I hadn't ever really noticed that before, but the headstock design on the AJ is an older version than what's on the J-45. The J-45's headstock is wider towards the nut.

So you're absolutely correct.

whm
Old 08-24-2016, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J45HD28 View Post
Isn't a J35 short scale? And the bridges are different as well. Seems like the only thing they'd share is the bracing pattern (back and side woods excluded as you already mentioned).
Ah, I forgot that. Yes, the J-35 is a short scale.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:12 PM

Thanks everybody, just wanted to make sure I was looking at a real Gibson. I live in the electric world most of the time where fake les Pauls are a dime a dozen so the headstock threw me for a loop.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:43 AM

Update...

Got the guitar, I absolutely LOVE it! It's the cannon I've been looking for. When I got home with it is at down and played for hours. My wife walked in and immediately commented on how great it sounds. If been hunting for "the" Gibson acoustic. Found it.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjones View Post
Update...

Got the guitar, I absolutely LOVE it! It's the cannon I've been looking for. When I got home with it is at down and played for hours. My wife walked in and immediately commented on how great it sounds. If been hunting for "the" Gibson acoustic. Found it.
To anyone else who owns an AJ this comes as no surprise.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion