The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-08-2024, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Default Journey RT660 or RT661 experience?

Hey,

I've been looking at a CF guitar for a bit, have had a couple Rainsons and CA's in the past. Wanna try a Journey, possibly, but not the travel removable neck ones. They have bolt-on neck ones that seem a little more like a proper guitar and the discontinued RT660 is one and the newer RT661 is another.

Anyone have experience with either and wanna let me know what to expect? Very few videos and reviews out there on these models. The newer one appears to have an offset circle soundhole vs the arbitrary shape soundhole and the newer one has a composite fretboard vs a CF one. Countours, Manzer wedge and the rest of the specs seem the same.
Old 01-23-2024, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

bump - someone must have played one or the other.
Old 01-23-2024, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
bump - someone must have played one or the other.
I have an RT660 that I am likely to put up for sale shortly.

They are a nice guitar depending on what you are trying to do and has a decent tone for its size. It is also quite light and lighter than the OF series.

The big downside is they are on the quiet side although I work around that by carrying a spark go with it.

I have plane travelled with it a number of times where I unmounted the neck as well.
Old 01-31-2024, 06:53 PM

I have a 660 that I bought 7-8 years ago.

It did what I wanted it to do, which was to be compact enough to actually bring as carry-on while being impervious to humidity changes.

It doesn't sound particularly good, and the neck has the most uncomfortable shoulder of any guitar I've ever owned (which is a lot of guitars). I've never felt the desire to play it outside of travel scenarios, but it performs better as a travel guitar than anything else I've ever owned (including a Voyage-Air), so overall, I'm happy enough with it.
Old 02-04-2024, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Default Just to make it more confusing

I LOVED my RT660. Just sold it yesterday (here). It was my travel guitar, but now that I am retired, I did not need it. It took several sets of strings before I found the tone I liked (Daddrio Nickel Bronze Med-Lights). Easy to take on planes and also to leave in the trunk of your car. I never took the neck apart, although many do.

IMO, it was extremely comfortable to play (I have long arms and short fingers). If I was ever in the market for another portable CF guitar, I would not hesitate to buy one in a minute. Also, one of the best gig bags I've seen.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-10-2024, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Smile I bought it

I just received VJP5’s RT660. This model has the less removable neck. No big wing nut on the back of the body.

It sounds quite good, especially for its size. More woody tone than I expected!

I will remember: Daddrio Nickel Bronze Med-Lights

The neck is comfortable for my small old hands and it tunes down to D just fine. Action was low and comfy so I wondered if it would be happy down to D, but the neck didn’t seem to move with the tension decreasing.

It just fits in the NICE bag. Another inch of headstock space would be OK…

Very comfortable to hold with the bevels and wedge, and certainly sounds bigger than it appears!

I am favorably impressed

Hope this helps someone

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

Last edited by Guitars44me; 02-10-2024 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-12-2024, 11:26 AM

Shameless plug. I have Journey for sale below

come to one of our shows just east of Atlanta!
http://mikeandkayte.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber