The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-20-2014, 05:23 PM

Default New (first) Banjo Day!

Howdy folks,

Recording King RK-R36 five-string resonator. I'm already attempting Fireball Mail.

A little more expensive than I'd hoped, but it's all checked, set-up and spiked as well as with a case so I'm very happy, especially since the case is pretty cool and the set-up is flawless.

Since I'm new to the banjo - yes it's hella loud and yes it's crazy heavy and yes my jam buddies are gonna hate me if I show up with this.

Ain't she pretty?

CZ
Old 03-20-2014, 05:51 PM

Awesome!!! I want one badly.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:48 AM

Welcome to the dark side!

A couple of guitars
A Merida DG16 Classical Guitar
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin
A Mountain Dulcimer that I built
A Hammered Dulcimer that I'm currently building
And a fiddle that I built!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

Growing up my brothers and their friends played guitars and were my early teachers.

One of my strong influences played banjo and took banjo lessons.

I would mess around on his banjo and I was a big Steve Martin fan.

Nice banjo - congrats!

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-21-2014, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations! I have an RK35 and an RK-OT25. Great banjos!

Todd
Old 03-21-2014, 11:59 AM

What is it about the sound of a 5-string banjo, that just automatically puts a smile on your face.

Congratulations Cue Zephyr, it's a beauty.

I just bought two 5-string banjo's myself; a Deering GoodTime, and a Deering Calico. I've got a lot to learn when it comes to doing proper Bluegrass finger-rolls, but it sure didn't take long to figure out a few chords and start playing and having fun.

I've been wanting to play banjo ever since I saw Steve Martin on TV back in the early '70's. (Smothers Bros. Show ? Glen Campbell Show? John Hartford Show?) Steve walked out from behind the curtain, with a fake arrow through his head, doing some wicked Bluegrass rolls, and with his inimitable grin, he said "You ain't laughing now,,, are you." I was hoooooooked.

Oddly enough, the song that finally pushed me over the top to getting a banjo, wasn't a bluegrass song at all, it was Allison Krauss' and Union Stations' haunting version of the old Beatles classic "I Will".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmNs9...=RDBmNs9q1NPxI
Old 03-22-2014, 12:28 PM

Thanks all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Congratulations! I have an RK35 and an RK-OT25. Great banjos!
I was set on a 35 myself, until somebody convinced me that the 36 was really worth it. Through clips I decided this was true - throatier, warmer and meatier tone, very punchy. As well as that, the gloss finish on this instrument is really sweet, even on the neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby1note View Post
What is it about the sound of a 5-string banjo, that just automatically puts a smile on your face.

I just bought two 5-string banjo's myself; a Deering GoodTime, and a Deering Calico. I've got a lot to learn when it comes to doing proper Bluegrass finger-rolls, but it sure didn't take long to figure out a few chords and start playing and having fun.

Oddly enough, the song that finally pushed me over the top to getting a banjo, wasn't a bluegrass song at all, it was Allison Krauss' and Union Stations' haunting version of the old Beatles classic "I Will".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmNs9...=RDBmNs9q1NPxI
The banjo is a very special instrument to me. I found it to be really sticking it's neck out among other instruments because of it's sound. It's also capable of a lot more than it's given credit for, which also appeals a lot to me. Think of the pieces Béla plays, I really like what he can make that banjo sound like.

You have two very nice banjos! It didn't take me very long to figure out a few chords either. I do still get my fingers tangled up because I'm trying to calculate the chord fingerings taken directly from the guitar. It works for me though.

The rolls are giving me a tought ime too, but I'll give ti some time since I've been playing for two days only.

Thanks for the link, that's some sweet picking! That's on both dorbo and banjo. I hope to learn dobro some day.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:35 PM

Congratulations, on a great looking Banjo!
Best of luck to you with your new instrument.....and your passion!!
That is what it's all about....
Old 03-25-2014, 03:42 PM

Yay. I'm a one-trick pony on the banjo now! Hope it's alright for 5 days of playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ-t...g&noredirect=1
Old 03-25-2014, 06:00 PM

You'll be ready to join the bluegrass festival in no time . Congrats! You're right in that it does stick out because of its sound. I was surprised when I went to my first bluegrass festival a couple of years ago that the banjo was the instrument I enjoyed most - those guys can really pick.

Enjoy!
Old 03-25-2014, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cue Zephyr View Post
Yay. I'm a one-trick pony on the banjo now! Hope it's alright for 5 days of playing.

WoW Cue Zephyr,,, that sounds GREAT. I think you're gonna be a natural. You've got that finger-roll sounding a heckuva lot better than mine.

Have you got bluegrass buddies to play with? I think getting in with the right bunch of people can make a world of difference. I love spending a few weeks in Nova Scotia in the summertime (Annapolis Royal). I've got a few pickin' buddies down there, and we have a ball doing Celtic, Acadian, and bluegrass. Here in southwestern Quebec unfortunately, I'm the only guy in our local group of jammin' buddies who has a banjo, or any other bluegrass instruments. There are groups who gather in Ottawa and Montreal, and I've gotta get out and find those people.

Have fun playing,,, and post more videos. Your banjo sounds really good too.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cue Zephyr View Post

Very nice! It looks like you'll be a natural on the banjo! Make sure to stop by banjohangout.com some as well. It's a great group of folks over there that love the banjo. It's the AGF of the banjo world.

Todd
Old 03-28-2014, 11:23 AM

Thank you all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
You'll be ready to join the bluegrass festival in no time . Congrats! You're right in that it does stick out because of its sound. I was surprised when I went to my first bluegrass festival a couple of years ago that the banjo was the instrument I enjoyed most - those guys can really pick.

Enjoy!
I wish those festivals were a little bit more accessible. I don't mind traveling long distances but I have to take multiple trains and buses to get where I need to be. And where I live, delays are common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby1note View Post
WoW Cue Zephyr,,, that sounds GREAT. I think you're gonna be a natural. You've got that finger-roll sounding a heckuva lot better than mine.

Have you got bluegrass buddies to play with? I think getting in with the right bunch of people can make a world of difference. I love spending a few weeks in Nova Scotia in the summertime (Annapolis Royal). I've got a few pickin' buddies down there, and we have a ball doing Celtic, Acadian, and bluegrass. Here in southwestern Quebec unfortunately, I'm the only guy in our local group of jammin' buddies who has a banjo, or any other bluegrass instruments. There are groups who gather in Ottawa and Montreal, and I've gotta get out and find those people.

Have fun playing,,, and post more videos. Your banjo sounds really good too.
Thank you so much! I wish I had bluegrass buddies to jam with. I do have buddies, but they only know about bluegrass because of me (I think). I don't really know anybody in my city (Eindhoven, The Netherlands) that plays bluegrass. I might be in luck though, there's actually a bluegrass band playing in a local cafe tonight and I'm gonna try my best to be there.

I think having played guitar has been very helpful for me. I know how to fret, I know pull-offs and hammer-ons. It's just the rolling that's an entirely new concept to me, especially with fingerpicks - not being able to feel the strings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Very nice! It looks like you'll be a natural on the banjo! Make sure to stop by banjohangout.com some as well. It's a great group of folks over there that love the banjo. It's the AGF of the banjo world.

Todd
Such a great website! I registered three years ago, but left again because I purchased a mandolin first. It took me a long time to pick up on learning that.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:56 PM

Sorry this is a little tardy but congrats on a great first banjo. I also recommend Banjo Hangout and try one of the banjo music camps this summer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments