The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-13-2014, 11:31 AM

Default Banjo Recommendations!

Hi all,

As the thread name suggests, I am looking to purchase a banjo. However, I have a fairly specific criteria for what I want. Most of my gear (acoustics, electric guitars, amps etc.) are all high end now and it's taken quite some time to get to that level. The one thing I have learned along the way is that when I am new to a new instrument I tend to buy something that is affordable but I quickly realize that I should have done some research and purchased something that's a little higher quality. That often leads to me having to then sell the cheaper instrument and basically start all over.

Anyway, I by no means want a banjo that costs thousands of dollars. What I do want is something that's affordable but that will sound good, have a nice build quality and won't need to be flipped once I learn the instrument. I also play mandolin and bouzouki so through research and purchasing I have come across brands like Trinity College and Kentucky that are made in China/Korea etc. but are excellent instruments and that are used by touring/professional bands. Even in the electric/acoustic guitar world there are brands like Reverend and Seagul that not only offer incredible value, but produce exceptionally well made and sounding instruments.

With that said,what brands are in the banjo world that would be the equivalent of the brands that I mentioned above? I know there are brands like Goldtone and Recording King that make affordable options but are there any specific brands/models that tend to be affordable and get higher praise/reviews?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-14-2014, 10:40 AM

I'd look at the Deering line of banjos. You can't go wrong there!

http://www.deeringbanjos.com/

A couple of guitars
A Merida DG16 Classical Guitar
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin
A Mountain Dulcimer that I built
A Hammered Dulcimer that I'm currently building
And a fiddle that I built!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:47 AM

Check out what Gold Tone has to offer. I have two of their resonator 5-string banjos. Very happy with them.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 04-14-2014, 12:55 PM

Go with a "used" hi-end banjo. The market is flooded with them. You get a great banjo, and since it's already been depreciated, the value stays put. Buy from a dealer that can do a good set-up.

I recently bought two banjo's. I wanted a light-weight open-back banjo as a "beater". To that end, I went with a used Deering GoodTime ("The Crow" package). I put a Deering armrest on it, and for less than $380. I got a great banjo for knocking around,,,,, something that's always at arm's reach. It also included a case,,, a tuner,,, and several books that the previous owner had bought.

http://www.elderly.com/new_instrumen...OODCROWPKG.htm

Shortly after buying the GoodTime, I came across a "mint" Deering Calico for roughly 1/2 price. That's normally a $4k. banjo. I decided to take the plunge, simply because I wanted to know what that "world" was all about.

http://www.elderly.com/new_instrumen...sh--CALICO.htm

That said; if you're looking for a "new" off-the-shelf banjo that's economically priced, you might want to have a look at the Gretsch G9420 Broadkaster® "Supreme" 5-STRING with resonator. Street price for those is roughly $899. Again,,,,, buy only from a dealer that can give you a GOOD set-up, and is willing to install capo-tacks. The hardware on that Gretsch G9240 is all nickel. The cheaper Gretsch's are "chrome".

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G9420Supreme/

From what I understand, the Recording-Kings have really dropped the ball lately, on quality control. If you can find a good one however, that should be a good way to go.

Check out the classified's at Banjohangout.com

Last edited by Bobby1note; 04-14-2014 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:02 PM

Thank you for the suggestions so far. I honestly think that I might sit back and wait for a used Deering. I don't know why I don't do this with all instruments but I can probably score a used Deering for 1/2 the price. I don't think I need a super high end model but they have some models in the Professional series that are around $2000-2500. It would be nice if I could score one at $1500.00
Old 04-14-2014, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Are you looking for a resonator banjo or open back? For $1500 you can get a new open back banjo from a number of highly rated builders.

Banjohangout.org is the place to look for advice and many great used banjos,

I have two open backs, a Cedar Mountain A2 and a Wildwood Troubadour. I bought them both used for around half the new price. Check out Mike Ramsey and Chuck Lee as well. Mandolin Brothers usually have some good banjos in stock.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com

Last edited by Yrksman; 04-14-2014 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Additions
Old 04-14-2014, 09:21 PM

Bart Reiter makes a mean open-backed banjo in that range. Also check out Kevin Enoch. I have an Enoch Tradesman and I think that it's great. Check out Elderly's selection for some ideas.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:11 AM

Check out the 12th Fret in Toronto. They do a full set-up, and they often have banjo's coming in on consignment. You can't go by what's posted on their site, because the turnover is too fast for them to keep up, so it's best to call them.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Also, of the Deering's I really like the Vega Old Tyme Wonder. Very light with s great plunky sound.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com

Last edited by Yrksman; 04-15-2014 at 11:51 AM. Reason: added info
Old 04-15-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
...As the thread name suggests, I am looking to purchase a banjo...I by no means want a banjo that costs thousands of dollars. What I do want is something that's affordable but that will sound good, have a nice build quality and won't need to be flipped once I learn the instrument...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Carey View Post
I'd look at the Deering line of banjos. You can't go wrong there!

http://www.deeringbanjos.com/
Deering Boston (I've owned two, still have one) - well-made, good-sounding/playing, 4-5 pounds lighter than a tone-ring banjo, competitively priced with many of the high-end Pac-Rim stuff, and when/if you upgrade this one'll still be a keeper for parking-lot picking/practice/anywhere you wouldn't take a $4K+ banjo...
Old 04-15-2014, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I would add Brooks Masten to the list and suggest that you check out some older used banjos. I purchased an open back 5 string made around 1900 and it is a stellar banjo in every way. The older banjos do not have the scooped fingerboards but that wasn't a deal breaker for me.

The nice thing about Deering and Gold Tone is that they have different models at different price points so lots to choose from in terms of tone and playability.

Good luck in finding the perfect one for you!

Best,
Jayne
Old 04-15-2014, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

Default lots of questions to ask yourself

i've went thru this exact journey you are starting. what i found for myself:

1) i like a wider fretboard and thicker profile, the deerings were all really small necked for me-cramped my hands and fingers.
2)i found USA made products carried better tuners and setups, and allowed better actions than most imports i encountered
3)based on how much you want to spend, and do you want open back(clawhammer/old tyme style) or bluegrass edge(resonator back)

good USA brands that can be found used:
Enoch Tradesman
Ome(the Taylor of the banjo world IMO)
Jason Mogi (luthier built under $1000, makes GREAT open back banjos)
Chanterelle(http://ramseybanjos.com/) Ramsey makes awesome wide neck open backs.

one of the most honest, down to earth, helpful places i found to buy was Zepps country Music. Donald Zepp is like a national treasure to the banjo world-on his website you can find tons of instructional material and audio of many different brands-likewise lots of youtube video.
he buys/sales new and used banjos:
http://zeppmusic.com/

for listening pleasure and instruction-for openback clawhammer, i highly advise Mary Cox-lots of video on youtube, lots of CD's and instructional songbooks to accompany those CD's

good luck
d
Old 04-15-2014, 10:57 PM
Charter Member

I have a Washburn B17 that I really like - sounds great and feels great and holds its own in my weekly bluegrass jams. Looks beautiful too.

Musicians Friend has them for about $1000 usually - but you can usually find a coupon that will knock the price down quite a bit.

-Mike
Old 04-19-2014, 07:23 PM

Might also check out thebluegrassshack.com I just bought a fiddle from them and set up all their instruments and are really good people to deal with.
Fender Kenny Wayne Shepard Strat
Old 04-20-2014, 06:12 PM

Default banjo

Funny, ALL my banjos are vintage, yet my guitars are mostly newer ones. I have been very happy with the vintage banjos and you can often get very good buys on them. Look for (in no particular order) Weymann, Bacon, Dewitt, Vega, Gibson, Farland, Ludwig, Orpheum, Paramount, & SS Stewart....

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments