The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-07-2014, 12:17 PM

Default Storing an old violin

Hey all. My mother-in-law was just given a violin that belonged to her grandmother. Before it was shipped to her it was put back in playing condition. The luthier estimated that the violin is from around 1920-1930.

My MIL asked me if I could hang it on one of her living room walls. I said I didn't think this was a good idea that it might be best to be kept in the case, possibly with a humidifier.

My question is would it be ok to keep it out in the open like that or should it be kept in a case? It is unlikely that the instrument will ever be played in a serious manner.

Thanks
Old 04-07-2014, 06:07 PM

I'd keep it in a case...humidified!
If you really want to hang it on the wall, do so just before company arrives and return it to the safety of its case when the party's over.

A couple of guitars
A Merida DG16 Classical Guitar
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin
A Mountain Dulcimer that I built
A Hammered Dulcimer that I'm currently building
And a fiddle that I built!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds22 View Post
Hey all. My mother-in-law was just given a violin that belonged to her grandmother. Before it was shipped to her it was put back in playing condition. The luthier estimated that the violin is from around 1920-1930...It is unlikely that the instrument will ever be played in a serious manner...
Perhaps not in this generation/lifetime, but if it's in playing condition someone's going to want it somewhere down the line; that's still 90-year-old wood you've got there, and you'd do right to treat it as such. IMO if Mom really must hang a fiddle on the wall, pop $90 and get her one of these:

http://www.instrumentalsavings.com/P...Fenm7AodzFQAYg

My thought is that she'll never know the difference, and you've rescued a potential family heirloom from tchotchke status...
Old 04-07-2014, 07:29 PM

It depends on the pedigree, but I'll bet money it's a trade violin from Germany. If that's the case it's never going to be highly coveted, so if your MIL wants to hang it, go ahead.
Instruments are made to bring joy to the owner, and if seeing it brings joy to your MIL then it's performing an admirable service by hanging where she can see it often. Good memories exceed the cost of replacing a trade grade violin.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
It depends on the pedigree, but I'll bet money it's a trade violin from Germany. If that's the case it's never going to be highly coveted, so if your MIL wants to hang it, go ahead.
Instruments are made to bring joy to the owner, and if seeing it brings joy to your MIL then it's performing an admirable service by hanging where she can see it often. Good memories exceed the cost of replacing a trade grade violin.
More or less this. I hate to speculate on a violin when I have essentially no information, but statistically, it is probably a German trade violin with a value of $300-400. I have art on my walls worth far more than that. Plus, well-made violins are actually pretty sturdy, and if it is a German trade, then it is probably well-made (just not very valuable), and you are unlikely to do irreversible damage to it if it is placed on a wall with a modicum of care.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:10 PM

Default Storing an old violin

Yeah, and even if it pops open, their built to reglue.

f-d
Old 04-08-2014, 01:18 AM

Violin websites seem to emphasize storage in a case for mechanical safety: it prevents damage by dropping it or sitting on it. The need to humidify may depend on your climate. People disagree on string tension for long term storage.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-08-2014, 08:47 AM

Thanks so much for the replies and information.

I had never heard of a "German trade violin" so I just did some reading about it and found it very interesting.

What I know is the family acquired this around 1920-30 in Maine. They bought it for a beginner and could not have afforded a high quality instrument.

My MIL was told that the luthier who fixed it up valued it at around $2k but now I have my doubts. I of course will not tell her this as she's just happy to have it and has no intentions of ever selling it. It will eventually be passed down to my oldest son.

Last edited by jds22; 04-08-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds22 View Post
My MIL was told that the luthier who fixed it up valued it at around $2k but now I have my doubts. I of course will not tell her this as she's just happy to have it and has no intentions of ever selling it. It will eventually be passed down to my oldest son.
It is certainly possible that it is worth that much. I would not trust my estimation based entirely on guesswork above a professional who has seen it and worked on it.

That being said, it is easy to inflate the value of older violins. Trade violins used to the only choice for beginner instruments 15-20 years ago. At the time, Chinese-made instruments barely qualified as VSOs (violin shaped objects).

The situation has changed pretty radically for beginners over the last decade or so. Eastman, Samuel Shen and others are offering excellent beginner string instruments in the under $2k market. This has driven down the price of older trade violins.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
It is certainly possible that it is worth that much. I would not trust my estimation based entirely on guesswork above a professional who has seen it and worked on it.

That being said, it is easy to inflate the value of older violins. Trade violins used to the only choice for beginner instruments 15-20 years ago. At the time, Chinese-made instruments barely qualified as VSOs (violin shaped objects).

The situation has changed pretty radically for beginners over the last decade or so. Eastman, Samuel Shen and others are offering excellent beginner string instruments in the under $2k market. This has driven down the price of older trade violins.
VSOs, now that's funny.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments