The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-04-2014, 08:12 AM

I wouldn't bother with anything GC sells. For just a little more $$ you can get a huge step up from Kala, Lanikai, etc with Mainland or Ohana ukes. My second favorite uke I've owned was a red cedar soprano from Mainland. It's clear and loud. Just an excellent uke.

Ukuleles:
Concert KoAloha
Old 04-04-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerFoodie View Post
The only thing different I'd suggest is consider a Fluke. Don't be put off by the plastic backs, they're decent.
As someone who has both a Fluke (triangular body) and a Flea (pineapple size / shape) I actually prefer the Flea. The Fluke is a larger and thicker body, with commensurately larger sound. But the Flea holds its own sonically too, and is more comfortable to hold and play. Unless you have very small hands, spend the extra $16 to get the longer neck option. More like a tenor sized neck on a concert body that way. Another piece of advice -- also spring for the optional geared tuners. I loathe 1:1 friction pegs, especially for beginners who already have enough trouble tuning.

The nice thing about Fluke / Flea is that every example I've ever seen had a decent set-up and good intonation. That is not always a given, even at that price point. I have been playing on mine for several years and the polycarbonate fret board is showing no wear.

Last edited by Earl49; 04-04-2014 at 12:53 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments