The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-15-2013, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhalbert View Post
...I am not even sure we are all talking about the same thing when we say "knuckle" vs. "finger joint". When I said "first knuckle", I meant the joint where the finger meets the back of the hand. In the picture below, that's the "MCP" joint. Which do you mean when you say knuckle and middle joint?
Hi dh

It sounded like Jackknifegypsy was suggesting we should move the knuckle at the base of the finger where it joins the hand, and not move the finger below the knuckle at mid-finger to pick/pluck a string.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackknifegypsy
..have recently learned that the fingers must move at the joint where the fingers meet the hand, not where I've been moving from, at the next joint on fingers or at both joints.
I don't see that as even possible...hence I think I'm not understanding what he's referring to.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-17-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhalbert View Post
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knuckle:
The knuckles at the base of the fingers may be referred to as the 1st or major knuckles while the knuckles at the midfinger are known as the 2nd and 3rd, or minor, knuckles.
I am not even sure we are all talking about the same thing when we say "knuckle" vs. "finger joint". When I said "first knuckle", I meant the joint where the finger meets the back of the hand. In the picture below, that's the "MCP" joint. Which do you mean when you say knuckle and middle joint?

the fingers should move from proximal phalanges according to this picture and the thumb from carpometacarpal (basilar joint)
to achieve this we should move the hand away from strings

Last edited by Paikon; 05-17-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
...I don't see that as even possible...hence I think I'm not understanding what he's referring to.
hi lj,

i think if you partially splay your fingers by flattened your hand at the knuckle (proximal phalanges), like trying to touch the tip of your finger to the palm side your proximal phalanges, you can move the tips in and out with very little movement at the proximal phalanges. as paikon infers, this could happen with one's hand to close to the strings.

i've seen people play like that, sometimes pulling their whole hand up to sound chords.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write