The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Awesome playing. It sounds great, even through my phone speakers. I assume it has a glorious bass response? Congratulations. Hand delivered, even.
Thanks Juston.

The bass is clear and warm.

I'm especially taken by the sound when I lightly strum a chord.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Jeez - Great sounding guitar, great recording and - most importantly - great chops! What's not to like?

Very difficult to play a "simple" tune like this and stand out from the crowd - you did. Great timing and touch. I'm very jealous.

The guitar definitely seems to have that sparkling and sustaining top end that the best Somogyi apprentices manage. I imagine that will "soften" a little as the guitar settles in, making it even more appealing. Also surprised by how deep the bass goes (on good headphones here) for an OM. Due to the fanning? Also, very dry and clear, perhaps the influence of the BRW there?

Congratulations! It sounds every bit as good as the BRW looks.

Incidentally, what did you use to record it and (importantly), where? Just a room in the house?

Cheers,
Steve
Thanks for your kind words, Steve.

The guitar is strung up with mediums and tuned down one full step from DADGAD.

I've recorded this from my couch using an Apogee microphone straight into an iPad. I live in an open space so it's one big room with bare concrete everywhere.

I'm still learning to tame the beast but I'm already quite pleased with the results.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:22 AM

Do you find the string tension much better given that its a multiscale?

As opposed to tuning one step below dadgad with medium gauge strings on a standard fret guitar?
Old 09-03-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHeatley View Post
Do you find the string tension much better given that its a multiscale?

As opposed to tuning one step below dadgad with medium gauge strings on a standard fret guitar?
I think it helps a little bit in maintaining tension in the bass strings. I was also able to lower everything to CGCFGC without further adjustment, which is very cool.

The difference between 26" (the scale length on the bass side) and a regular long scale (25.5") isn't so dramatic.

I think fanned frets play a more important role on more drastic designs -- but in the case of my OM, it's rather subtle.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
I've recorded this from my couch using an Apogee microphone straight into an iPad. I live in an open space so it's one big room with bare concrete everywhere.
I just cannot believe that, and neither will others from the many positive comments about the great recording!

Where did you position/aim the Apogee? iPad software? Any post-processing? I'm hearing a touch of reverb but that could easily be the big room?

Sorry for all of the questions, but it's such a great sound, guitar notwithstanding...and I have an iPad, and you're giving me ideas!

cheers,
Steve
Old 09-03-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
I just cannot believe that, and neither will others from the many positive comments about the great recording!

Where did you position/aim the Apogee? iPad software? Any post-processing? I'm hearing a touch of reverb but that could easily be the big room?

Sorry for all of the questions, but it's such a great sound, guitar notwithstanding...and I have an iPad, and you're giving me ideas!

cheers,
Steve
I use a very basic setup which I can deploy just about anywhere. I positioned the Apogee microphone on a kitchen chair, about two feet away from the soundhole.

It all goes straight into GarageBand for iPad. And yes there is reverb added on that track -- but no other post-processing, no EQing, no doubling of tracks, etc.

I'm just barely touching the strings for the most part (with fairly long nails) as the guitar is very responsive indeed.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
I use a very basic setup which I can deploy just about anywhere. I positioned the Apogee microphone on a kitchen chair, about two feet away from the soundhole.

It all goes straight into GarageBand for iPad. And yes there is reverb added on that track -- but no other post-processing, no EQing, no doubling of tracks, etc.

I'm just barely touching the strings for the most part (with fairly long nails) as the guitar is very responsive indeed.
Thanks ++.

It's a great sound for such a "basic" setup; I guess that's down to a great player and guitar...as ever.

Anyway, I now know what I want for Christmas (Apogee mic that is; can't afford the guitar!).

Cheers,
Steve
Old 09-03-2012, 06:57 PM

Joe, You really make your Kraut sing, and I knew you would when I saw it at Ray's on the 25th. What a beautiful guitar! And, just think, as you play it over time it will just get better...thanks for sharing your playing with us...exquisite!
Old 09-03-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks ++.

It's a great sound for such a "basic" setup; I guess that's down to a great player and guitar...as ever.

Anyway, I now know what I want for Christmas (Apogee mic that is; can't afford the guitar!).

Cheers,
Steve
I really appreciate your comments, Steve.

Due to work, I don't have as much time as I'd like to polish my playing but it's always fun to share music with real guitar enthusiasts like yourself.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:44 PM

Wonderful Joe and Ray...

I'm now imagining one of those fingerstyle acoustic albums where each song is recorded using a different guitar (like the AGF Hand Made Music CD). With your beautiful playing and impressive line up of guitars Joe I'd pick up a copy toute suite.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Boy View Post
Joe, You really make your Kraut sing, and I knew you would when I saw it at Ray's on the 25th. What a beautiful guitar! And, just think, as you play it over time it will just get better...thanks for sharing your playing with us...exquisite!
Thanks for taking the time to listen, Billy!

The guitar sounds so good that I've been playing it all day and have already gone through the set of John Pearse that were on it.

Here is the Kraut OM again, this time in an improvised piece, mistakes included:

http://soundcloud.com/syndicatedarts...5-kraut-om-brw
Old 09-03-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berf View Post
Wonderful Joe and Ray...

I'm now imagining one of those fingerstyle acoustic albums where each song is recorded using a different guitar (like the AGF Hand Made Music CD). With your beautiful playing and impressive line up of guitars Joe I'd pick up a copy toute suite.
Thank you so much for posting.

I use a number of different guitars for what I call "modern fingerstyle" purposes but I must say none of them have all the qualities of this Kraut OM.

It's very inspiring to play and feels like an old glove despite being just a few days old.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:22 PM

Great guitar Joe and wonderful playing...I really enjoy the tunes. I also been messing around in that tuning tonight and I really like it. Thanks for sharing and keep the tunes coming
Old 09-04-2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Doerr View Post
Great guitar Joe and wonderful playing...I really enjoy the tunes. I also been messing around in that tuning tonight and I really like it. Thanks for sharing and keep the tunes coming
Thanks, Tom!

I think this tuning allows the guitar to sound like a "complete" instrument, with plenty of support for the bass line. Besides, I had to find a reason to justify those fanned frets...

Here are some more pictures:

Last edited by JoeCharter; 09-04-2012 at 01:06 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:30 AM

Joe, your guitar sounds delightful, doesn't look too bad either
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop