The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 10-16-2017, 01:38 PM

Default Compac 60 with Archtop

Anyone use a Compac 60 for your archtop. If so, how did it do. How did it sound. How was the pickup with the amp.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 10-16-2017, 03:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
Anyone use a Compac 60 for your archtop. If so, how did it do. How did it sound. How was the pickup with the amp.
I don't, but this guy is doing just that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XIuHDtoLRg

HE
Old 10-16-2017, 05:19 PM

Thanks for that YouTube. Not too impressed with that tone though. Sounds fairly flat to me. I am just now gathering info on the Compac 60 as an amp for archtops. Lots to learn.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson SJ-200
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 10-17-2017, 05:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

It's a totally different body style (hollowed out solid body) than your Peerless, which should have a fatter tone, not to mention a totally different pickup.

There are plenty of demos of the AER 60 compact, but NONE are you going to be YOU playing, which is going to absolutely affect the proceedings.

It does, however, work for magnetic pickup despite being marketed as an acoustic amplifier.

HE
Old 10-17-2017, 08:31 PM

Thanks for clarifying this for me. My Peerless has great acoustic tone as well as awesome plugged in tone. And when its plugged in, it has great acoustic tone as well but obviously its mixed with the floating Humbucker pickup and it sounds great. I am still looking for a great amp for my uses. Another AGFer said that he got a Boss Acoustic Singer and used with his archtop with the same pickup and it blew him away. Maybe thats my direction but I am leaning a little to the Roland Jazz Chorus 40. It gets great reviews from electric players and it handles stomp boxes really well.....I use them a lot.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson SJ-200
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 10-18-2017, 09:04 AM

This is exactly the rig I use. I have an LR Baggs Venue added for a little extra, but I don't know that it does much.

It works well, but I should preface that with what I'm asking it to do, which is amplify me playing solo fingerstyle jazz and blues. I have a Heritage 575 which I've modded over the years to be as clean and acoustic sounding as possible (Alumitone p/u, shaved braces, single piece bridge, and other noodling).

As far as playing in a group, this isn't the way. I was in an organ trio and also with a band with horns and used a Polytone, which was barely adequate.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops