The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-04-2009, 12:42 PM

Default honey locust tone

Hi everyone,

I dont post often, kinda read a bit and play a lot, but was hoping to hear from locust guitar owners as to what tone, sound etc...to expect. i am working on a custom build and really like the look of the honey locust, I would post pics, but cant' seem to upload??
Does anyone have a locust back/side guitar in a slope shoulder dread rather smallerish in 24 and 9 scale, maybe a sound clip or opinion? Thanks first!!-K
Old 02-04-2009, 01:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

If you have a choice between honey locust and black locust go with the black. Black Locust is much harder, lower dampening and has a better overall tap tone. Similar in sound to Osage Orange which is about the closest "domestic" wood that we have to BRW in terms of mechanical properties and tone.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay dee View Post
Hi everyone,

I dont post often, kinda read a bit and play a lot, but was hoping to hear from locust guitar owners as to what tone, sound etc...to expect. i am working on a custom build and really like the look of the honey locust, I would post pics, but cant' seem to upload??
Does anyone have a locust back/side guitar in a slope shoulder dread rather smallerish in 24 and 9 scale, maybe a sound clip or opinion? Thanks first!!-K
Kay Dee,

Did you discover anything else about honeylocust?

Not that it has really anything to do with the substance of your question about tone, I found this in the Manual of Guitar Technology: “The medullary ray cells . . . are not equally well defined in different kinds of woods. In the places where they distinctly stand out in the sections cut in quarter they give the surface a peculiar mirror-like luster, so that the term ‘mirror-cut’ could be applied. Especially beautiful mirror-like lustre can be seen on pieces of quarter-sawn cherry, common beech, elm, honeylocust, laburnum, mahogany, oak ("silver-grain oak"), plane, plum, and sycamore."

Also FWIW, a Professor Gene Wengert, a forum technical advisor at WOODWEB, commented: "It is indeed a wonderful wood with great grain, etc. The strong red color will fade with time, a bit. Honeylocust (Gleditsia triacanthos) is not related to black locust (Robinia pseudoacacia). For that reason, perhaps, the official lumber name is spelled as one word."

Best,
Bill

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion