The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-26-2017, 08:44 PM

Default Breedlove Guitars... Who owns and who likes?

I have seen quite a few listings for Breedlove guitars recently and was interested in general opinions of their range.

I owned one of their higher end guitars in 2009 that I bought sight unseen based on reviews. (I know my fault). I ended up selling it as I couldn't warm to the tone nor the neck and setup.

A friend bought one of their Korean(I think) models at about the same time and its her go to performing guitar; even though she owns a number of Martins and a Taylor.

So two very different experiences of the make

How do you feel about them?

I consider myself to be a great player;.... pity my ears and fingers disagree!!!!!!
Old 05-27-2017, 02:30 AM

I picked up a '95 Breedlove CM/MH, sounded soft, lackluster. I tightened the bridge doctor, which made an extreme difference. It's a helluva guitar. I also have a smaller sized dread, a Passport D20/FS, $250 pre-Bedell, Korean, and pretty nice itself, without a bridge doctor. Breedlove's Discovery dread and a Passport nylon were 'meh' and 'desert dry', respectively, and that's with mix/matching different saddle materials and strings.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:29 AM

I currently own an Oregon model. I have owned a Revival series. My son owns an American Series. All are/were great.

American made Breedloves have their own sound. Some like it and some do not, just like most brands. I find that Breedloves are great used buys. One frustration with Breedlove historically is that they will begin and end various models/series fairly rapidly.

Breedlove- a great guitar and a solid used buy.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:42 AM

Default Breedlove

I agree with Scotso that one of the frustrations with Breedlove is how hard it is to follow the models and series.

But, the American made guitars in general are excellent instruments.

They have always been a very underappreciated company.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

I have 2. A pretty high end American. The new legacy concerto. It's the best guitar I have ever owned. I have high 800 series Taylor's and high end martins. This guitar is special.

I also have a Korean one that got me on the map. I purchased it back in 2010. Solid top laminated sides. Sometimes I pick it up and I'm shocked at how nice even that guitar sounds.

I would say you can't go wrong. They are severely under rated. Their resale value since they aren't taylor or Martin is significantly lower that purchase price. So if you can get a used one for cheap then do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 Taylor 714ce
Old 05-27-2017, 06:25 AM

I've owned a Focus and a Masterclass and they stack up against almost any guitar.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

I have an ad25sr plus that is amazing sounding but the neck and I don't get along. I should put it in the classifieds. Someone should be playing it.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:27 AM

Really liked the Revival series. The 000 12 fretters I had the opportunity to play really appealed to me.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 05-27-2017, 08:27 AM

I've never played a bad Breedlove. Odd in appearance, some of them, but all have been respectable playing and sounding guitars.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:49 AM

I have one of these ... https://www.elderly.com/breedlove-om...ent-130557.htm ... I love it.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:53 AM

After one of my boys "misplaced" a Yamaha FG730 I owned, I recently started looking for a replacement, something good sounding and playing but not expensive.

Stopped at 2 Guitar Centers and played every new and used guitar under $500. One g chord strum was all it took to return most of them to the hanger but 2 stood out, an Alvarez Regent series and a Breedlove Concert Pursuit with a cedar top. The Breedlove was on sale for a bit more than my $500 limit but the sound and playability of that guitar were fantastic.

I decided to go home and think about it when a local sale of a Breedlove Concert engelmann and ebony popped up for under $500. I bought it and I'm really impressed at how good it sounds and plays for the money. But that cedar and mahogany model still tempts me.
Taylor GS Mini
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender Strat Pro
Fender Telecaster 52 Reissue
Old 05-27-2017, 08:59 AM

When I got my D28 and started playing a lot more a few years back, I wanted to get a decent guitar that had onboard electronics so I could plug in, budget around 1000 to 1500.

I wound up with a Breedlove, one of the korean ones, and it is a really nice guitar. Bright but not quite Taylor bright. Setup is perfect, it plays like a dream. I use it a lot and like it a lot. IT does NOT have the weird bridge device in it, it's a dead ordinary guitar in terms of build - I wasn't fond of the ones that did have the trapeze thing in there.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:59 AM

Personally I think recently they are really nice. Customer Service is top notch. I was really wowed with the pursuit concert Ebony. Engelmen top on a 700 dollar guitar?

Recently I saw this : http://breedlovemusic.com/acoustic-g...uit-concert-zc solid Zirocote for 1100...
Old 05-27-2017, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Whenever I run across a Breedlove I always pick them up to try out. They are made with a lot of attention to detail and are great looking guitars. They are a little quieter than the guitars I usually play. I played their myrtle concert last year. Quiet, but nice. I bet they record really well.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-27-2017, 09:38 AM

You said you didn't care for the tone or the neck. Are you looking for us to change your mind?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion