The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-26-2017, 01:45 PM

Default Please help Dave, he's a digital recording noob.

Hi Folks,

I've got a long weekend ahead of me, and I intend to do nothing productive. Yay! Wife and kids are out of the house for a few days. (*refrains from celebrating, because you never know who's reading this*) :-)

That means, between gigs, I want to finally do some home recording.

But, I have no idea what I'm doing.

I have two hardware options:

I've got my QSC TouchMix8 setup with dynamic and condenser mic. I also have a Focusrite iPad recording interface. The iPad has Auria software and Garage Band. I have several nice PC Laptops with touchscreens. My PC laptops have no DAW software.

My dilemma is that the iPad software looks inviting, and easy to use, but my audio interface is cheap, and not as nice as the TouchMix. I also think my new iPad Pro might be too big to fit in the cradle. On the other hand, I have no PC DAW software.

So, my gut is telling me to record with the full multi track recording features of the TouchMix to USB 3.0 drive using the "pre" option, and transfer the files to the iPad or laptop and edit there. Otherwise, I've probably got to invest in a new digital audio interface. Seems like redundant hardware to me.

Has anyone transferred recordings from the TouchMix to Garage Band or Auria DAW on the iPad?

Otherwise, what is a good, easy to use, DAW software that I should purchase for the PC?
Old 05-26-2017, 01:47 PM

Not from a Touchmix, but files are files. Auria is great, too.

Try Reaper as a DAW on your PC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2017, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

I am not familier with either of those units ( I'm guessing you are referring to the Focusrite iTrack Dock) ?

It's probably a toss up sound quality wise for the mic pre sections (just a guess based on one in the iTrack and 4 in the QVC) , but if the Ipad Pro won't fit the dock then obviously it's the QSC
As long as it will export WAV files your are good to go to computer and mix there . The question is whether it will export all the tracks as individual tracks or if it will only export a single "Interleaved stereo" track.
Info should be in the manual for the QVC.
If it will export multiple mono or stereo tracks then you can take advantage of mixing in the DAW environment. If it only exports a single stereo track then you be will limited to mixing and any FX that are in the QSC software (which may be just fine)

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 05-27-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I am not familier with either of those units ( I'm guessing you are referring to the Focusrite iTrack Dock) ?

It's probably a toss up sound quality wise for the mic pre sections (just a guess based on one in the iTrack and 4 in the QVC) , but if the Ipad Pro won't fit the dock then obviously it's the QSC

As long as it will export WAV files your are good to go to computer and mix there . The question is whether it will export all the tracks as individual tracks or if it will only export a single "Interleaved stereo" track.

Info should be in the manual for the QVC

Hi Kevin, the QSC will do individual tracks, so that's probably the best bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-27-2017, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Hi Kevin, the QSC will do individual tracks, so that's probably the best bet.

Probably .... the other advantage of being able to record multiple tracks (2 or more) IS.... If you play guitar only you can record in stereo.... and if you play and sing you can record "live performance" style, at least until you get comfortable recording and then possibly venture into overdubbing later, as you comfort and knowledge increase

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-29-2017, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
Not from a Touchmix, but files are files. Auria is great, too.

Try Reaper as a DAW on your PC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey Dave, I'm just starting out recording too. I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I was using Audacity DAW software because it's free. I was having latency problems with it that I couldn't adjust out. A friend recommended Reaper. It costs $60 but you can evaluate it for 60 days. I'm going to pop for it long before the 60 days is up. I have successfully created a track starting with a click track from an iPad. Next added a drum pattern and line it up with the click track. Added four different guitar tracks and a bass. I need to work on the guitar solo track a little more then render it down to a MP3 or WMA file.

Very easy to record with. A little more daunting to edit the tracks. But lots of good tutorials on Youtube. Check Reaper out. Give yourself sometime. DAW software is intimidating!

Good luck,
Terry
Old 05-30-2017, 09:21 AM

Reaper is definitely worth checking out because you can access the full version for free. Many DAWs only offer limited versions for the free trials.
Reaper has all the pro features you are ever likely to need in a DAW. The user manual is huge, and there is a help forum, and tons of YT help videos too.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-30-2017, 09:49 AM

Thanks folks. I will be downloading reaper to try on the PC, and possibly the iPad, this week. I found the license key for CubaseLE that came with a Zoom H1 I was gifted a few years back. I downloaded and installed that already.

I did manage to record a few test tracks onto a USB 3.0 thumb drive from the QSC TouchMix 8. I wasn't sure this minuscule 128GB drive would work, but it did! Amazing how technology has progressed.

Then next step is to setup a different music room to get a better recording. The area in my basement won't work due to noisy (intermittent) mechanical equipment. It's fine for rehearsal, but not recording. The music room upstairs is not a good place to store electronics. I just keep guitars and a music stand in there. So, I need to consult the wife and see which space in the house I will be allotted to blight with wires and mess. [emoji3]

Then, I will try a few different DAW software titles.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:26 AM

I used Audacity on a PC, then Auria on an iPad, and now I'm using Reaper on my iMac.

I can hardly believe how good Reaper is for the price. The YouTube vids here http://www.reaper.fm/videos.php are some of the best produced for any DAW.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
I used Audacity on a PC, then Auria on an iPad, and now I'm using Reaper on my iMac.

I can hardly believe how good Reaper is for the price. The YouTube vids here http://www.reaper.fm/videos.php are some of the best produced for any DAW.

You're endorsement is making this an easy decision. I'll focus on Reaper for now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD