The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-25-2017, 08:56 PM

Default Martin JC16WE issues

My Martin jumbo has two cracks, one along the top seam below the bridge, the other on the back seam at the tail end. Both have been repaired, by luthiers, kinda. Not great jobs, either one. Also, the top bows in above the bridge, yet I can hear nor feel any braces loose.

This guitar is affected by humidity changes far more than my Larrivee, or, for that matter, any guitar I've ever owned. But it's my Martin, and it "fits" me. I tend to keep it in it's case winters, with a humidifier, checked often. My other instruments I can leave out.

Would it be a good idea to send it to TN for out of warranty repairs? Any other recommended luthier repair folks? I just don't trust the local music stores to have competent people to do good work. Any ideas to cost (without seeing the problems)?

Thanks!

Larrivee Forum I OM-03 #3 of 17
Martin JC16WE
Recording King ROS-06
Recording King RK-R20 Banjo
Home Built Mountain Banjo
Old 05-25-2017, 09:11 PM

I would find the closest Authorized Martin repair shop and talk to them. If you do have to mail it out to have it repaired I would sent it to the shop I trust the most. Why you ask about Tennessee I don't know but there are a lot of Authorized Martin shops and excellent luthiers out there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair