The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-25-2017, 02:02 AM

I always look for topics started by you, Glenn. And, as usual, you never dissapoint :P Awesome singing & playing.

I'm also taking singing lessons. I'm not very good at the moment, but I know I will get there

Got any tips? :-D

I will upload videos on a regular basis; enjoy

Last edited by Kerbie; 05-25-2017 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Removed off-color language
Old 05-25-2017, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bickb View Post
I always look for topics started by you, Glenn. And, as usual, you never dissapoint :P Awesome singing & playing.

I'm also taking singing lessons. ... I know I will get there

Got any tips? :-D
Thanks for your thoughts and for the kind words, Rick!

I'm certainly not a voice teacher; all I know how to do is sing a lot and then record myself and then sing more and record more until I can correct the problems. It's amazing how much more negative stuff I hear on a recording compared to listening to myself when I am singing.

A good voice teacher can help you; my son and daughter-in-law are voice teachers at the local college and they have worked wonders with more than a few people.

Best of luck!

- Glenn
Old 05-25-2017, 11:20 AM
G625 mistral-k

Glenn,

Bravo!....you are hitting these covers out of the park! Once again, your voice is perfect for this cover, and the D-35 sounds fantastic. Keep them coming!
Old 05-25-2017, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt Beach View Post
Glenn,

Bravo!....you are hitting these covers out of the park! Once again, your voice is perfect for this cover, and the D-35 sounds fantastic. Keep them coming!
Thanks so much BB! You are very generous with your comments! I very much appreciate your kind words!

- Glenn
Old 05-25-2017, 01:05 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Glenn, I just want to add that I agree that the D-35 sounds great in your hands. Also, I have since asked my wife and youngest son (33) to watch/listen as well, and both expressed that you've done a remarkable job on this song. They enjoyed. Kudos!
Old 05-25-2017, 03:15 PM

I've seen this song butchered by many guitar players. I'm not a stickler for note for note arrangements, but this song is so well known that it requires an adept touch. After playing this song for years without a capo in standard tuning, about a year ago, I rearranged it in Drop D with a capo on the 8th fret. Glenn, you're a more adept fingerpicker than I am, but our arrangements are remarkably similar, almost identical. I'm pretty sure I did it all by ear without referencing any chord charts, but that may be my memory playing tricks on me.

Regardless, that is a lovely rendition of a timeless classic (and reliable crowd favourite). Kudos.

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst
Old 05-25-2017, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Glenn, I just want to add that I agree that the D-35 sounds great in your hands. Also, I have since asked my wife and youngest son (33) to watch/listen as well, and both expressed that you've done a remarkable job on this song. They enjoyed. Kudos!
Thank you again, Tom! How wonderful that your wife and son could also enjoy this song! Also, I'm glad you feel that the D-35 worked well for this song. I really don't think I have ever played a song with the capo on the 8th fret before. There is like 60% of the fretboard sticking out, completely unusable!

Thanks again for the kind words, Tom!

- Glenn
Old 05-25-2017, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughingboy68 View Post
I've seen this song butchered by many guitar players. I'm not a stickler for note for note arrangements, but this song is so well known that it requires an adept touch. After playing this song for years without a capo in standard tuning, about a year ago, I rearranged it in Drop D with a capo on the 8th fret. Glenn, you're a more adept fingerpicker than I am, but our arrangements are remarkably similar, almost identical. I'm pretty sure I did it all by ear without referencing any chord charts, but that may be my memory playing tricks on me.

Regardless, that is a lovely rendition of a timeless classic (and reliable crowd favourite). Kudos.
Hi Mike,

Thank you so much for your perspective on this song! How nice to hear from someone who knows this song so well! And how interesting that we both pretty much came up with the same arrangement!

How cool is that??!!

- Glenn
Old 05-25-2017, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Absolutely beautiful, Glenn! I really like that tune... always have. Time marches us all.

I'm always interested in your selection of guitars. Is it a gut feeling you have as to which one sounds the best? Of course, when you have 72 guitars to choose from, the decision gets complicated...

Whatever the process is, you seem to always find the one guitar in your collection that best represents the sound you want to hear. You really have a knack for making that choice.

Very nice... thank you for choosing that song and to Tom for requesting it.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Absolutely beautiful, Glenn! I really like that tune... always have. Time marches us all.

I'm always interested in your selection of guitars. Is it a gut feeling you have as to which one sounds the best? Of course, when you have 72 guitars to choose from, the decision gets complicated...

Whatever the process is, you seem to always find the one guitar in your collection that best represents the sound you want to hear. You really have a knack for making that choice.

Very nice... thank you for choosing that song and to Tom for requesting it.
Hi Kerbie,

Thank you very much for the kind words!

Now, I don't really have 72 guitars to choose from! I know you are kidding a bit! But I do have a good number.

My first reaction was, because the song was capoed so high that I needed a rosewood back guitar, so I first tried my Santa Cruz OM/PW. I used that for a while, but the smaller OM body just didn't provide enough bass coloration to keep the song from sounding way too trebley up there. I tried my Martin 000-28VS, which is an elongated body OM/000 with a 12-fret neck, and there was so little room up there on capo 8 combined with that thick mod-V neck that I learned very quickly that was not going to work.

I then decided to change the key of the song to D and play it on my Guild F512 12-string on capo 3 and at first I thought, yes, this is cool. But after playing through the song a half dozen times, I just felt that all the extra overtones from the 12-string was just too much for that song. It just didn't feel right.

So at that point I thought, well, the D-35 is sitting in its case right next to the F512, and maybe that bigger dreadnought body would help add some "body" to the song up on capo 8 without being overwhelming. And instantly when I played it, I thought -- yes, this is it. And my wife listening from the other room said the same thing.

So there was a fair amount of experimentation on this song. I thought about using the Gibson AJ, because that guitar has a lot of inherent bass, but I never got there. I just recorded it with the D-35.

And yes, thanks to Tom for recommending that I go after a Harry Chapin song. It was a very rewarding learning experience!

Thanks Kerbie for taking the time out of your busy schedule to comment here! I very much appreciate your efforts!

- Glenn
Old 05-25-2017, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

Great discussion of your decision-making process, Glenn. When you've got that many fine guitars, you gotta do something to narrow-down the choice. Ok, it's not 72, but it's a lot.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:56 PM
AGF Administrator

Very nice, Glenn. I enjoyed that. You make it look easy.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Very nice, Glenn. I enjoyed that. You make it look easy.
Thanks Jeremy!

It looks easy only because you didn't get to see any of the hard parts. I worked through them before I made anything public. All my mess-ups were in a room by myself where no one could see my process. Kind of like making sausage, I suppose. But if the end result looks easy in the final video, that's good, because a good performance shouldn't emphasize anything but the song. So thank you for that.

Very nice of you to take the time to watch and comment, Jeremy.

- Glenn
Old 05-25-2017, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Great discussion of your decision-making process, Glenn. When you've got that many fine guitars, you gotta do something to narrow-down the choice. Ok, it's not 72, but it's a lot.
Thanks Kerbie! Okay, I do have a fair number of guitars! And now you know that my process for choosing a guitar for a song is fairly random experimentation.

Thank you again for listening!

- Glenn
Old 05-26-2017, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Glenn, I don't know what rock I've been hiding under, but saw this thread and crawled out to listen. Loved it! Also really enjoying the other songs on your YT channel, a real pleasure to watch and listen to. Thanks so much for sharing! Really talented!!

Is there any way you can detail your recording setup? I'd love to set up something similar.

Thanks!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell