The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-09-2017, 02:52 PM

There's plenty of reviews of the Mustang GT 40 on you tube. They go into great detail too. One guy samples out all 109 presets so you can get an idea of what to expect from the amp. I have to admit I only found a few that I liked, but I really liked them a lot. Being able to put together your own presets is a great feature of this amp.

I think it's a great habit get into to listen to the demo's on you tube of all the gear I buy. It's easy just go there and do a search, you'll be surprised at how much stuff is reviewed.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 05-10-2017, 06:35 AM

The amp is scheduled to be delivered Thursday !!! The foot switch hasn't shipped yet but they are saying it'll be here Monday- Wednesday....
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 05-10-2017, 10:36 AM

If this is like the previous versions of the Mustang, they will have simple "just the amp" presets, which is the way to start in my book. Even if you intend to use some or many of the amp's effects simulation features, try dialing in a patch or patches based on the "just the amp" models you want to use before you complicate it with the "sound like an artist" or the "wow, look at all the rack and stompbox models this thing has!" patches.

On my Mustang III v2, I use the Princeton Reverb patch more than half the time with delay and compression options. I own a "real" Princeton, but this one patch would make the amp worthwhile to me. It's a Princeton with reverb and "vibrato" that I can play at any volume level with direct out, with an adjustable level of gain and sag and without needing to hook up an external compressor or delay. That alone is worth the cost of the amp to me. Typical modeler story: playing "feel" isn't identical to the real Princeton, but it's close enough for my talent level.

The other amp emulations, particular the Fender models, are good to have too. I don't use them as much because I've always loved the general timbre of the Princeton, but I'm glad they're there for when I do use them.

I'm not immediately attracted to these new Mustang generation models, what with the increase in price and partial reliance on iOS to control them, but that's not a factor for many others, particularly those who don't own a good modeling amp already. I'll be paying attention to those who will compare the previous generation Mustang amps to this new set to see how much they've improved things.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-10-2017, 10:48 AM

Well I just got done building a 16 unit pedal board which really makes me appreciate this amp with the presets and many amp sounds and effects. This basically makes my pedal board obsolete, because I have no way to do a one button preset change, everything has to be done manually. With this amp, once you have a preset set up, you can go to it immediately with one button. Plus being able to recording into the computer directly thru the USB output means I can record with no mics or worry about room noise or disturbing the neighbors. So all in all this amp will help me to do recordings at all hours. This will be a big help to me.

I just watched Fender's video about their GT app and it looks like it's very easy to use. Plus being able to download new presets is pretty incredible.....this is one hell of an amp !!!!!!!!!
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M

Last edited by Yamaha Man; 05-10-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:56 PM

uh oh...looks like the app has to be used with an Apple device or google store device....not available for Windows or Mac os.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M

Last edited by Yamaha Man; 05-10-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:27 PM

Direct in USB recording----you must have a computer with recording software, a USB cable (not included) and download the ASIO universal Fender software from this link....https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us/...Driver-to-use-

I installed the ASIO software and now the Fender shows up in my recording programs. Yay !! So now all I have to do is plug in the USB micro to USB cable and I should be ready to record directly in.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 05-10-2017, 03:06 PM

For those who want more info on the Mustang GT series including full owner's manuals...go to the Fender website, scroll to the bottom and look for their "Forums". You will find a whole forum dedicated to the Mustang series amps with lots of info there.

My foot switch shipped out today....and yes according to Fender the old footswitch will work with the new amps.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 05-10-2017, 08:17 PM

Yay, the foot switch will be here Friday late afternoon...
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 05-11-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
For those who want more info on the Mustang GT series including full owner's manuals...go to the Fender website, scroll to the bottom and look for their "Forums". You will find a whole forum dedicated to the Mustang series amps with lots of info there.
There's also a good thread about the GT on the TDPRI forums

After spending a couple more days with the amp there's no way I'm returning it. Sounds really good and it's the perfect gigging amp for me. I went through some of the presets and tweaked them to my liking so nothing I'm using is a stock sound
Old 05-11-2017, 07:21 AM

I was reading up on the Tone software and was disappointed I won't be able to use it as I don't have a IPhone. However I also read up on the Fuse software and hooked up my Super Champ X2 amp to it. I found out I have access to 360 really cool loops of bands playing and 120 various downloadable presets for my amp's controls...I tried a couple and they sounded really good....I also had some issues with my USB cable I had to resolve, apparently there's a number of different USB connectors available and you have to have the right one. I had the wrong one, but found a short one I can use temporarily till I get the right one....just a big pain in the neck...but I was able to get the Fuse program up and running and my amp registered.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 05-11-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
I was reading up on the Tone software and was disappointed I won't be able to use it as I don't have a IPhone. However I also read up on the Fuse software and hooked up my Super Champ X2 amp to it. I found out I have access to 360 really cool loops of bands playing and 120 various downloadable presets for my amp's controls...I tried a couple and they sounded really good....I also had some issues with my USB cable I had to resolve, apparently there's a number of different USB connectors available and you have to have the right one. I had the wrong one, but found a short one I can use temporarily till I get the right one....just a big pain in the neck...but I was able to get the Fuse program up and running and my amp registered.
I think you'll like the cloud presets although I haven't played around with them much but it seemed pretty slick.

I have an xd too and I use it for certain things in the studio but for me the Mustang is way more versatile.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:51 AM

Actually I'm more interest in the band loops to jam along with. I can play them on my computer with no problem and jam along with them using the Mustang. Last night I tried loading a few loops into my Adobe Audition program and loop them and they sounded great.....They'll make nice tracks....

My Super Champ is located in my living room away from my computer, so it means I have to drag it into my computer room to download presets....or get a 20-25 foot long USB cable....
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 05-11-2017, 12:18 PM

Well the Mustang is here. I tried recording a direct in track, after a bunch of monkeying around I was able to do it....I haven't got into changing the presets yet. just want to do a direct in recording thru the USB port.....here's my first test results....I had to boost the volume 10 db to get a usable recording...but it came out nice and quiet.....
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M

Last edited by Yamaha Man; 05-16-2017 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:37 PM

Well I've been scrolling thru the presets...way too many distorted ones. The clean ones sound really good though. But my God about 80 flavors of distortion...the effects sound okay but nothing earthshattering...the speakers sound okay but my pedal board and stereo amp set up sounds richer, so I won't be selling off the pedal board anytime soon. This amp is okay for recording though, now it's all set up and ready to record at a moment's notice. For practicing and general recording it's okay. I really need to set up my own presets though. I'll get a better feel for what the effects can do. I like the idea I can get a quality sound at a low volume, perfect for practicing late at night. Because it has a small footprint and speakers, it doesn't shake the house like my Supro and Marshall amps can, that's a good thing..... for critical recordings though, I'll stick with my pedal board, amplifiers and mics.

I'm at the stage of overkill for amps now, I don't need anymore at this time.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 05-11-2017, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm at the stage of overkill for amps now, I don't need anymore at this time.
Where have I heard that before?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars