The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-01-2017, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

Default Inexpensive Mic Options

I'm looking at a couple of inexpensive microphone options to do some amateur home recording. In the short term, I want to record some home videos to upload onto YouTube and social media. But I'd also like to record some acoustic guitar / vocal demos via GarageBand.

Ultimately, I'd like to pick something that would work in a live situation on my home PA system. But since I don't perform live publicly, this is a "nice to have" for this first purchase, not a requirement.

I'm looking at a few condenser / USB options and would love some quick advice from more experienced members (inc. Amazon links for easy reference):

1. Shure MV5 ($99) - small, simple, connects to Mac or iPad/iPhone

2. Blue Yeti ($115-129) - popular, but USB only

3. Audio-Technica AT2020USB ($144) - higher recording quality?

For #1-3, are there significant differences in quality or functionality?

4. Shure SM57 ($99) - dynamic mic (not condenser), but I can run it into my laptop via my Apogee Jam and a line matching transformer ($10-20).

Is this last option more versatile because I can use it for live performances and recording? Would the recording quality (via Apogee Jam) be better/worse/same vs. the Condenser/USB options above?

Is there something else in the <$150 range that would be a better choice?

I'm actually looking to make a quick decision, so I appreciate the quick feedback.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:24 AM

I'd suggest you take a look at the Zoom video and audio recorders.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:36 AM
AGF Sponsor

Some pretty fine acoustic guitar recordings have been made with a 57. No excuses, don't blame the tool, etc. Learning how to get a decent tone with one before moving up is time well spent.

Also, it is going to be the best for PA use.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:18 AM

If you're looking for an inexpensive small diaphragm condenser then you should consider an AKG P170.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det..._-gaAnWP8P8HAQ

Although the SM57 is a great all purpose mic for live performance it will not have the sparkling high end that a SDC will provide.

Be aware that you'll need an interface with phantom power (or a self-powered mic like the AKG C1000) to use a condenser mic.

Rather than making a quick decision you might consider thinking about a strategy to reach your long-term goals. USB mics can work well, but you're tied to a computer and all the problems that entails. A good interface that will accept the balanced XLR inputs from any standard mic is a much better option as it also provides you with excellent output to whatever you choose to monitor with.

The Apogee JAM only has a 1/4" guitar input I believe, and you may want to consider a large diaphragm condenser if you're going to do vocals. The AT2020 is a fine mic, but it is a mid-size diaphragm condenser dressed in a larger case. Those points are a couple of examples of things to consider in your purchase decisions.

Last edited by Rudy4; 04-02-2017 at 06:26 AM.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:26 AM

I'll echo the thought that USB mics can limit you down the road, and you are already considering PA use, so you're down that road. Stick to standard microphones with XLR connectors.

The Shure SM57 is classic for good reasons. You can mic any instrument with it, and you can even use it for a vocal mic (some would add a pop screen). And they are as durable as they are versatile. No, it won't give you the bright high end sheen of a condenser mic, but sometimes that's not needed.

The SM58 or Beta 58 are another options. Work great with PAs and you can record very good sounding vocals with them.

The MXL condensers like the V63 are reasonably good ways to get the condenser high end for under $100. I find them sometimes overly bright sounding, but you can EQ them. You can use them on acoustic guitar and voice. Condensers are very sensitive, so they can pickup vocal and instrumental detail that way, but and they will pickup more room sound and undesirable environmental noise.

It's early days, but I'm getting surprisingly good results with the sub $100 iRig Acoustic Stage clip on mic when recording acoustic guitar.

Beware the slippery upward slope. There are a lot of good $400 to $600 microphones out there, and there are good microphones in the four figure price range too. But you can get good results without the more expensive mics.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 04-02-2017, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

I am very happy with my Zoom H1 and it works very well as a USB mic as well as a stand alone recorder.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 04-02-2017, 09:57 AM

The Blue Yetti has many fans.

I have a Zoom H2. I don't use it for guitar recording but I could do. it has a fine mic
Martin J40
Old 04-02-2017, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, everyone! I'm really just dipping my toe into the extremely big pool of recording, so I decided to try the Blue Yeti first. I wanted something clean and simple for now, and I don't mind investing $100-150 into my own education. If I get decent at recording, I can always trade up.

Also, this guy's video kinda sold it for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML5DMaoNAqA
Old 04-02-2017, 01:46 PM

If you haven't bought the Yeti yet go to ebay and buy a used CAD M179, check the reviews, they are stellar microphones! The price will be somewhere around $90 to $130. It will also work great for vocals or whatever u need it for. Or member Bonedigger has one here in our classifieds for $100!!!
Old 04-02-2017, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, rockabilly69! If the Yeti doesn't work out, I'll def give explore the CAD M179. I normally don't have anything against buying used, but since this is unchartered territory, I wanted to buy something with a favorable return policy.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Gull View Post
Thanks, rockabilly69! If the Yeti doesn't work out, I'll def give explore the CAD M179. I normally don't have anything against buying used, but since this is unchartered territory, I wanted to buy something with a favorable return policy.
Be careful on the fine print when buying mics with a return policy, as most people won't allow returns on mics because of health issues! Besides that, good luck with your project. I am a big fan of Blue mics, I own a Cactus, Kiwi, Blueberry, Dragonfly, and a Bluebird! I've found favorable uses for all of them!
Old 04-02-2017, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Well, sometimes, life has a funny way of working out. I just looked on Craigslist, and someone in my city listed a Blue Yeti with the same wind screen that I ordered, plus a nice shock mount (in addition to the original stand) for $90 total.

Time to begin learning, playing, and recording!
Old 04-03-2017, 06:53 AM

USB is not the way,

the best is combination or a condenser, a dynamic and a piezo DI

The point is for dynamic mike you need volume (or a lot of preamp gain making also high noise level)
For condenser mike you should consider that room response starts playing major role.

Yesterday I recorded this with Audio Technica AT 8471 condenser microphone:
Old 04-14-2017, 09:31 AM

Nice playing
Old 04-15-2017, 01:47 PM

Have you considered the Blue Spark? Hell of a microphone for the price. There's a brand new version called the "SL" which appears to have moved the hi-pass "Focus" button on the back to a switch on the front and added a -20dB pad switch.

But for vocals you won't need the pad, and there are lots of the older ones available at a discount. In particular they made a "sage green" special version (only the color is different). The color was apparently not very popular, so you can pick up this $200 mic for $120 in a bunch of places.

It does need +48V phantom power.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD