The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-21-2017, 06:07 PM

Well yesterday I put down my first 2 coats of seal laq. I did it with a foam brush . Today I sanded it flat and actually did sand through through in a few places, but I doubt that's uncommon for only 2 coats of seal.
Today I actually wiped on 2 coats using a French polish land and wow did THAT go on sooooo much smoother. I'll let that dry over night again and see where I am after getting it level again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-21-2017, 07:02 PM

I like the idea of it and have been waiting a while and will wait longer to see how it does in the wild. I've read about Tim's experience with it before but my understanding of that is that maybe it doesn't like to be sprayed?

The desirable thing I see in it is that it can be applied with traditional FP techniques but will be more durable.

I have mixed feelings about it though because traditional FP is a darn good finish and anyone who is sold on it is typically educated enough to know not to treat their guitars like they are indestructible, that's a win win situation for a guitar maker... responsible ownership. So now when you tell them that the finish is tough and they can proceed to do what they want with it then.,.. I may as well use lacquer.

It's a sort of understanding. The understanding is part of the durability of the finish. That, and FP is really IMHO not as fragile as most think.

But I do like the idea of it, still waiting for more stories like these to decide.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:49 PM

I've been using RL for a little while in our shop. I've brushed it with great success. Great durable finish. We have just recently started to spray it and that is working well, I'm about to sand/buff to completion in the next week or so.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair