The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-22-2017, 03:13 PM

i hope the topical products work great, but just in case they don't I'd like to recommend Fred Kelly Freedom Picks. Not inexpensive ($15 for a set of 3) but work well in my experience as substitute fingernails.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:10 PM

i bought Hard as Hoof about two months ago because of this thread about this stuff. didn't make a bit of difference ;except makes my nails smell pretty . my daughter likes the smell.; but it is useless to me!i think i've tried every product out there. nothing. just bought biotin ,but don't wanna get my hopes up.sometimes i put superglue on my nails and let a little go onto my fingertips. THAT does the trick ;but it wears of while i'mplaying for a few hours.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:07 PM

Got some in January, been using it once or twice a day since. My hands are in water a lot, plus gardening, woodworking etc., puts a strain on the nails. I play some finger style, mostly hybrid style ... so far, it's seemed to help, but I'm taking gelatin also, so hard to tell where one leaves off and the other begins. Side benefit, though, is it's toughened up the callouses on my left hand.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:17 AM

I play fingerstyle exclusively. I can't tell you how many times I've broke a nail. I finally just gave up on nails and keep them short and use the flesh of my digits. Found that I could play just as well without the nails. Anyway, a lot of people swear that drinking one glass of water with food quality Diatomaceous earth (about 1 tablespoon mixed in a glass of water) per day will drastically help your fingernails.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkgtr View Post
I play flesh and nail on acoustics around the house and use a hybrid style, flat pick and flesh/nail on electrics when I play out.

At 65 seems my nails have changed and they are much easier to break, broke all my nails
Talkgtr, I have THE solution for you, I had the worst nails ever, thin, snapped off, always grew wrong, broken...So I went to Walgreen's a long long time ago and went to the female department. I asked the young lady what to do, she went right to a product that saved my picking career. This is different, because it is not only hardener but it has pure nail protein and it adds it to your nail as it grows. There is nothing like it. My nails have not had a problem for years now. Here it is, I use formula 2. You can get it from Amazon too. I swear by this stuff.

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/na...b-4824a03f0e25
Old 05-25-2017, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
actually, I paid $8.99 USD and that included tax and free shipping (Amazon Prime). It lasts about 2 months for me
2 months?? Fazool, what are you doing with it? My jar is going to last me at minimum 2 YEARS!!
2015 Taylor 914ce First Edition
2014 Taylor 812ce 12 fret First Edition
2014 Taylor 324ce FLTD Koa
2009 Taylor 954ce 12 string
1966 Gretsch Country Gentleman
Old 05-25-2017, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkitman View Post
2 months?? Fazool, what are you doing with it? My jar is going to last me at minimum 2 YEARS!!
I put a tiny dab on (like the size of a Q-tip end) and spread it around all five nails. I do that 2-3 times a day. First jar lasted me 2 months. Second jar is almost 2 months and almost empty.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 05-25-2017, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Wow! For the first two weeks, I just used the "spill over" amount that was on the inside of the lid; then started on the product in the jar itself!

ONE of use is certainly doing something wrong... (and it could be me)
2015 Taylor 914ce First Edition
2014 Taylor 812ce 12 fret First Edition
2014 Taylor 324ce FLTD Koa
2009 Taylor 954ce 12 string
1966 Gretsch Country Gentleman
Old 05-27-2017, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Follow up after a couple months:

I noticed yesterday that I had to file my nails again! I had just done it a couple days earlier. Then I started thinking and realized that I've been filing my nails super frequently.

This convinced me that my nails really are growing faster than ever before and not wearing themselves down.

I'm convinced this stuff is helping considerably.

For an added improvement I bought a bottle of Nailtiques Formula 2 protein and absolutely hate it. It's nothing more than a top coat nail polish - which is exactly what I am trying to get away from.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 08-18-2017, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

More Fun With HAH.

I've been using this stuff, twice a day, for about 2 weeks. Today two nails broke (again). It was strenuous work, though, I think I was wiping off the table or something. The third broke last week. Every flippin' time this happens, I gotta pull out the Alaskapiks and relearn to use them instead of nails. Yes, they do work extremely well, I trim/file them so they are really just a tad beyond my fingers....but they ain't nails.

Then when I want to try nails again (after a week or two, when I work up the courage), I gotta relearn fingerstyle WITHOUT Alaskapiks.

So I do that for a few days, and a nail breaks from pressing the remote button or some other Herculean task, and I repeat the whole, unfortunate cycle (with some bourbon this time).

I am beginning to think the hype about HAH is fake news.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:32 PM

Hey Superfluidity,
Do you really want to be putting something on/in you with those ingredients?
Old 08-18-2017, 02:38 PM

Well all this talk about magic creams promoting strong nails conjures up some thoughts. Could it be that massaging the nails/fingers is the actual strengthening catalyst? Similar to the wind and it's effect on making trees strong and resilient. I'm thinking the cream acts only as a lubricant to facilitate the massage. So when it comes to hard nails I have a notion that it's the motion not the lotion that's causes the promotion?

Last edited by fngrpck; 08-18-2017 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fngrpck View Post
Well all this talk about magic creams promoting strong nails conjures up some thoughts. Could it be that massaging the nails/fingers is the actual strengthening catalyst? Similar to the wind and it's effect on making trees strong and resilient. I'm thinking the cream acts only as a lubricant to facilitate the massage. So when it comes to hard nails could one assume that it's the motion not the lotion that's causes the promotion?
That's crossed my mind as well... hold on a minute, I gotta chew up this garlic clove....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion