The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-02-2017, 10:11 PM

Default Critique my pedalboard design (Acoustic/electric combo)

I've gone down the rabbit hole of electric guitar, but also want to stay true to my roots @ the Acoustic.

So I have come up with a dual-purpose pedal board plan.

I would love any experienced hands to give it a look and let me know if I'm going in the right direction or totally (in your opinion) out of my mind.

Playing:

1) Taylor DN7 with LR Baggs Anthem Tru-mic pick-up

2) Gibson USA Nighthawk electric (Basically a "comfort" Les Paul)

I've gone down the rabbit hole of electric guitar, but also want to stay true to my roots @ the Acoustic.

I would love any experienced hands to give it a look and let me know if I'm going in the right direction or totally (in your opinion) out of my mind.

Playing:

Order:
Polytune2
Cry Baby Wah Pedal
TC Electronics Hypergravity Compressor
TC electronics Corona Chorus
TC Electronics Flashback Mini Delay
TC Electronics Hall of Fame Reverb
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
A/B Switch
>A goes to LR Baggs Session DI> Roland AC60 Amp
>B goes straight to Roland AC60 Amp.

All housed on a Pedaltrain Jr with a Voodoo Labs power plus 2 supplying the juice.

Total cost (mostly e-bay) $750.00
Old 05-03-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma View Post

Playing:

Playing:

Order:
Polytune2
Cry Baby Wah Pedal
TC Electronics Hypergravity Compressor
TC electronics Corona Chorus
TC Electronics Flashback Mini Delay
TC Electronics Hall of Fame Reverb
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
A/B Switch
>A goes to LR Baggs Session DI> Roland AC60 Amp
>B goes straight to Roland AC60 Amp.

All housed on a Pedaltrain Jr with a Voodoo Labs power plus 2 supplying the juice.

Total cost (mostly e-bay) $750.00
The order looks fine. Are you sure you have room on a Jr. for that bottom row? If you are buying all the pedals, take a look at the Dunlop Crybaby Mini instead of the full-size one. $99 new, mine kicked a Clyde Deluxe off the board and saved space.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:26 AM

As you probably know I'm building my own pedal board recently...only suggestion I have is to add a pre-amp and a EQ pedal. Not absolutely necessary but very nice. Good luck.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 05-03-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
As you probably know I'm building my own pedal board recently...only suggestion I have is to add a pre-amp and a EQ pedal. Not absolutely necessary but very nice. Good luck.
I don't have a lot of room left for more pedals, I may be able to get half way there on the acoustic side with the addition of the LR Baggs Session DI.

Thanks,
Old 05-03-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
The order looks fine. Are you sure you have room on a Jr. for that bottom row? If you are buying all the pedals, take a look at the Dunlop Crybaby Mini instead of the full-size one. $99 new, mine kicked a Clyde Deluxe off the board and saved space.
The Delay and reverb are "mini" versions and the TC electronics are smaller than the standard Boss monsters. When it all arrives I'll know for sure if it will fit. May have to mount some pedals sideways if I run into issues.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
Well, all the pedals arrived and you are right, VERY tight fit. So much so that I just went and traded in my Dunlop Cry Baby (full size) for a Cry Baby Mini (only 5" long). Freed up enough room for the cables and boxes to hopefully fit with a little room to spare even.

I'm beginning to understand why some people pay $$ for a pro to set up their pedal boards. But the engineer in me is having fun and that's worth it to me.

When I get the last few cables in and do a test run, I'll post the finished product.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, all the pedals arrived and you are right, VERY tight fit. So much so that I just went and traded in my Dunlop Cry Baby (full size) for a Cry Baby Mini (only 5" long). Freed up enough room for the cables and boxes to hopefully fit with a little room to spare even.

I'm beginning to understand why some people pay $$ for a pro to set up their pedal boards. But the engineer in me is having fun and that's worth it to me.

When I get the last few cables in and do a test run, I'll post the finished product.
looking forward to pic of the finished board

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-07-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:

Yeah, just some trial and error and you'll be fine. Have fun 😀. Oh, check to see if when you set it up with the CB Mini whether you might accidentally engage the switch of the pedal on the row above it when you depress it to engage it (or just put it on the top row).
Old 05-12-2017, 05:40 PM

All done except I ran out of $$ for the acoustic pre-amp. There's a spot reserved in the upper left corner when the funds become available.

Replaced the full size Wah with a mini and that made it all fit.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:29 PM

Nice clean board!
Old 05-12-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
All done except I ran out of $$ for the acoustic pre-amp. There's a spot reserved in the upper left corner when the funds become available.

Replaced the full size Wah with a mini and that made it all fit.
Let us know what you think of the wah after you've used it a while. I like mine more all the time. That HOF has some history of creating a "whining" sound, just FYI in case you get that you'll know the most likely culprit.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

That's pretty niffty well done

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-12-2017, 07:49 PM

Many years ago I used separates, but it was a constant headache for live performance. I dumped it all for a Digitech RP200 and couldn't have been happier. The display was easy to see and I had presets for multiple instruments with nice, clear labels like "LAP STL", "MANDO", "ACQ GTR", "TELE", etc. The RP200 let me set levels so all the instruments were the same relative level and I even had a "MUTE" preset to kill the output to switch instruments.

I appreciate anything for performance that simplifies the process for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars