The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-23-2013, 05:36 AM

Default Opinions on the Kremona Solea?

I have found a store with a Kremona Solea in stock near me. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this guitar, or how it measures up to others in it's price range? I have read a couple threads on here, but have not found too much info on the solea...
Old 03-24-2013, 10:54 PM

For the price I think it's pretty good. It's a better deal if you can get a 15% discount. I had my eyes on one at the Guitar Center in Hollywood. Beautiful woods. Decent sound. Better than most guitars in the price range. Needed a bit of a setup tho. My favorite in the $1k - $1.5k range tho, is the Cordoba C10. Wonderfully consistent. And you might be interested in the new Cordoba C12:

http://www.cordobaguitars.com/p/c12

Played it at NAMM. Couldn't really hear it but it had stellar build quality. It streets at $1499 which is the same as the Solea. A/B them if you get a chance, but I think the Cordoba would be better bang for your buck.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:30 PM

Thank you for the recommendation. I like those guitars too. I really like the cedar c9s and c10s better than their spruce.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:53 PM

Well I bought one of these today. Already hate it, haha. Made a rushed buy, thinking I could return it if it doesn't work out for me. It is a nice guitar by all means, it just doesn't have a very attractive tone. The guitar sounds quite metallic. It has a nice sustain, and it pretty loud and powerful. Not very responsive for cedar. Sounds "ok". I got a deal for it, about 1355.00 including tax. It just is not really doing it for me. Not alot of overtones. For being a cedar top, it sure has a harsh sound to it. Very sharp, harsh, metallic, and loud. Alot like spruce, but without good separation. It is very cold, absolutely zero cedar warmth. I figure I will change strings and try it out for a couple days, but if I still feel the same way in a couple days, I will return it. The guitar I really want is a ramirez 130 anos, which sounds great, with beautiful overtones and a spanishy flavor to it, very smooth sustain, beautiful sounding guitar. Very dark, which is what I am wanting for sure. But it is 2000 (after talking the salesman down ) and that is still quite expensive for me after figuring out my little budget I am trying to follow. I also played some Brent Benfield guitars today, which were just great. Fantastic in fact. I played a Dauphin Model 40 too, which was verrryyy good, considering it was only 600.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:58 PM

Ah that's a shame. I really wanted to like the one that GC Hollywood had, but I too couldn't get along w/ the tone. I wound up getting an '85 Larrivee LS-35 for the same price and it's a much better guitar in all regards. Did you try new strings yet? Hopefully that will help?
Old 04-02-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronius View Post
Ah that's a shame. I really wanted to like the one that GC Hollywood had, but I too couldn't get along w/ the tone. I wound up getting an '85 Larrivee LS-35 for the same price and it's a much better guitar in all regards. Did you try new strings yet? Hopefully that will help?
Ya, I tried some diadario normal tension (I think that is how you spell it, haha). It helped a little, but It still was very cold and just lacked the pretty overtones a warm cedar should have. In it's defense, it was very loud and resonant, just very focused on the fundamental. It was so loud it gave me a headache to play, no joke. My wife commented on it's volume as well. I just value the beautiful voice of a good guitar over it's projection though, as I play generally in a small area for, (sadly) only my own pleasure. Did you find the kremona you played equally loud and resonant?
Old 04-05-2013, 02:06 PM

Like you I'm only playing for my own pleasure. Voice is the primary concern over loudness. The Solea I played, if I recall correctly, was strong in the fundamental as well. It wasn't obnoxiously loud, but it wasn't exactly engaging to listen to. Could've done with a set up and some new strings, tho.

Overall I'm happy with my decision to pass on the Solea and get my Larrivee instead.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:53 PM

I am thinking either ramirez 125 anos or 130 anos, or a loriente clarita. I like both, but I really liked a 130 I played recently. The clarita is cheaper though.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:14 PM

I just got a Solea model via Musicians Friend with a 17% off coupon. It is certainly a nice guitar for $1300 approximately. The intonation is solid and it projects nicely and balanced. I play it with low tension Augustine strings which makes it easier to fret. It's pretty versatile in that you can use it for classical, bossa nova, and jazz. Now I just need to get a wireless pickup for it Overall, good deal for an experienced player. I'd say the next step up in terms of price and craftsmanship would be to get a custom made guitar from a luthier, i.e. a guitar you cannot find in guitar center. If nylon guitar is your thing, I would recommend Kremona guitars.

Last edited by laguitarista; 01-21-2018 at 02:17 PM. Reason: additional comments

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical