The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-17-2018, 02:55 AM

Default Best crossover guitar for amplified sound??

Hi,

I'm new to posting on the forum, although I've been reading entries for a while - loads of generous sharing of good information here!

I am looking for recommendations for quality nylon string crossovers with the best quality amplified sound and tone (ones with built in electronics/pickups.)
I'm looking in the $2-4K price range.

I'm pretty new to crossovers and nylon strings, having played steel strings previously. I am in the process of trying to locate a Cervantes Signature Crossover 1 for purely acoustic use but I'd also like another quality crossover that would be used solely for amplified playing.

If anyone with more knowledge of this would be willing to make me a few recommendations I would be more than grateful! Cheers guys!
Old 01-17-2018, 04:15 AM

If I played primarily amplified, I would have purchased the Yamaha crossover guitar. But in my opinion, it sucks when played unplugged.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 01-17-2018, 05:29 AM

Are you thinking of a particular Yamaha model when you say that?
Old 01-17-2018, 05:32 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhooper View Post
Hi,

I'm new to posting on the forum, although I've been reading entries for a while - loads of generous sharing of good information here!

I am looking for recommendations for quality nylon string crossovers with the best quality amplified sound and tone (ones with built in electronics/pickups.)
I'm looking in the $2-4K price range.

I'm pretty new to crossovers and nylon strings, having played steel strings previously. I am in the process of trying to locate a Cervantes Signature Crossover 1 for purely acoustic use but I'd also like another quality crossover that would be used solely for amplified playing.

If anyone with more knowledge of this would be willing to make me a few recommendations I would be more than grateful! Cheers guys!
Dom,
I am going to assume that you're interested in a 'crossover' nylon because of their typically having a smaller neck than a traditional classic guitar, okay?

The most widely used crossover nylon strings are Kirk Sands, at least when you are looking at the higher priced spread. Takamine has made a 'crossover' model since the early 1990's, at least, and their electronics are just fine.

Here's a Cervantes for sale in case you're interested:https://www.dreamguitars.com/shop/ce...od-spruce.html

I know it's not the answer you want to hear, but I'd outfit the Cervantes with an LR Baggs system, and then get a Tonedexter to bring it to the top of its game.

You actually can have your acoustic cake, and plug it.

HE
Old 01-17-2018, 06:00 AM

Just about all of the Yamaha NCX series of guitars.

[/B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by domhooper View Post
Are you thinking of a particular Yamaha model when you say that?
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 01-17-2018, 06:32 AM

Thanks for that Howard. Yes, you're correct that it's the narrower neck that I'm after, plus radiused fretboard and cutaway. I'll investigate the Kirk Sands and Takamine options you suggest.

I had spotted that Cervantes on Dream Guitars too - I am tempted, but ideally I'd been hoping for a cedar-topped one rather than spruce. What you say about getting a Cervantes fitted with electronics is a possibility. Were I do this with the Cervantes Signature Crossover 1 that I'm hoping to acquire, do you think that the acoustic tone of the guitar would be atall compromised by the presence of the electronics in it? (You'll have to excuse my complete ignorance here - I have no experience with amplified guitars whatsoever!)

If not, then perhaps I could "kill two birds with one stone" and use the same high quality guitar for both acoustic and amplified performance. I had been assuming that I couldn't get a great sound for both acoustic and amplified play from only one guitar but it sounds like you reckon I can?

Incidentally, I've heard of the LR Baggs system but what is a Tonedexter?

With much appreciation for your input! Dom H
Old 01-17-2018, 06:34 AM

DKStott: thanks for the specifics about the Yamahas - another possibility to consider. Cheers.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:38 AM

Interested in this thread as well. I've looked hard at the Takamine 135, it has the "tube" driven preamp. Narrower nut, crossover neck. For me, price seems kind of step (1800). I like the OP would like a guitar that could sound good unplugged or plugged, and be THE nylon.
I would agree that Kirk Sands guitars are the best thing going, also take a look at a custom build Mel McCullough.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:50 AM

Thanks DD, I'll look into Kirk Sands and Mel McCullough. Very frustrating being in the UK these days with the current state of play re the CITES export/import regulations. I was just in touch with Dream Guitars asking whether they are currently shipping to the UK but they are not, due to the prohibitive extra cost and hassle of navigating the CITES restrictions. I guess most other US-based companies and luthiers will also not be doing so.

There are so many crossover models built Stateside that I would be interested in (Cervantes, Kenny Hill, Kirk Sands and so on) which barely show up on this side of the Atlantic, barring someone here selling one preowned perhaps. I believe there's possible revisions to CITES regulations in 2019? Here's hoping!
Thanks for letting me rant!

That's it! Cheers, Dom
Old 01-17-2018, 05:37 PM

All these mentioned are very good suggestions.

IN the $4Kish range, I'd add the Busscarino Starlight Nylon is an incredible guitar and has amazing tone and flexibility/adaptability. My band mate has had one 3 years I am still taken by the tone and utility.

For a bargain pawn shop guitar, the following is dear enough to me, I am protective of it because they're not that available. The older APX5NA is a good plugged in option. I found it last year at a Pawn Shop and changed the nut as I did not like the standard spacing. I also replaced the cheap $10 factory tuners with some smoother Rubners. With these very easy changes and OEM B-Band pick up, it's a nice guitar I enjoy performing with. I can get a variety of styles out of it that I often use for steel string.

I have a Cordoba Fusion 12 which has a more traditional voice and it's pretty good, but I've seen they now offer a one of their nicer models in crossover.

I'd like to try a NTX 1200, it may be a very good option. The Yamahas are very good and incredibly comfortable to play.

Last edited by Turp; 01-17-2018 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:48 AM

Thanks for that Turp. That Buscarino Starlight Nylon sounds amazing and the Yamaha model you mentioned may be worth a try.

Ironically, after bemoaning the CITES restrictions situation and how hard it seems to get top quality crossovers here in the UK, I found a US-based seller willing to ship to the UK! He has sold me a pre-owned Cervantes Crossover 1 PE (Palo Escrito back and sides with a Cedar top) for a good price. Even better, it already has an L.R Baggs Anthem-SL pickup installed.

This is pretty much what H.E. suggested early in this thread, the possibility of one guitar that (hopefully) plays well both acoustically and amplified.

Not quite sure when I'll have it but I'll let you guys know how I get on...

In the meantime, thanks for all your suggestions, and I'm still interested in hearing other thoughts on ideal crossovers for amplified play.

Best Wishes,

Dom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical