The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-26-2017, 05:35 PM

Default 5 reasons why AGF should create a Euro/Rest of World Classifieds subsection

In my opinion.

I PM'd a moderator about this over a year ago and never heard back. But here are a few reasons why I still think it would be a good idea:

1. Lots of classified ads are listed as "CONUS only". I'm not denying the vast majority of forum users appear to be based in the CONUS. However, it would be much easier for non-CONUS members to refer to a subsection that listed items available to them, rather than trawl through all classifieds listings.

2. Related to #1, its almost always uneconomical for CONUS members to buy guitars/equipment from members based in Europe(/elsewhere) anyway. The simple fact is that most gear costs less in the CONUS. So the current classified subsections would, de facto, cover CONUS listings, while the new subsection would cover the rest of the world.

3. Shipping costs and shipping considerations, predominantly CITES regulations.

4. Traffic. The "AGF Classifieds - Guitars" subsection has 16,172 threads. By contrast (and not to pick on the harp guitar guys!) the "Harp Guitar" subsection has just 29 threads, spanning 2017 back to 2011 on just one page. My guess - which is based partly on my recollection of the success of the European sales subsection on the old Harmony Central forums (years ago) - is that a dedicated Euro/Rest of World subsection would see a lot more traffic.

5. One subsection could probably cover both guitar classifieds and "other" classifieds. It seems it would be easy to implement. AGF isn't involved in private classifieds sales anyway so there's no obvious additional burden.

There are further reasons; the possibility of increasing forum sponsorship, for example. And, to be clear, nothing would stop e.g. a forum member based in the US from listing a guitar for sale to be shipped worldwide (and indeed I have bought a guitar from a US-based forum member and had it shipped to France). My suggestion would simply streamline the classifieds sections and possibly save some people some time.

What do you think? Has this been tried before on the AGF? Any downsides I'm missing?

Last edited by RustNeverSleeps; 09-26-2017 at 05:37 PM. Reason: bolded numbers
Old 09-26-2017, 05:59 PM

Sounds good to me Patrick. I'll second your proposal.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:17 PM

It makes sense.

However, we all know that many things that make sense don't get implemented...especially if the burdens of implementation fall on someone else's plate, and don't yield any benefits to then organization and/or the implementor. Do you see some benefit to AGF for doing this work (ifbot can be done without excessive effort), or is this change something that would benefit a part of the community (but not directly benefit AGF and its owner)?
Old 09-26-2017, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

Why don't you PM AGF Owner J.R. Rogers directly with your idea???
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-26-2017, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustNeverSleeps View Post
I PM'd a moderator about this over a year ago and never heard back.
Gosh, I hope I wasn't the mod you PM'ed and didn't get back to you.

This is really a question for JR... it's his choice. I'm only guessing, but I imagine it hasn't been done because the AGF doesn't consider itself a transactional place. JR set up the classifieds to be kind of like a bulletin board, but we're not set up to be an eBay or CL. It would take more of a moderating staff to make the classifieds much bigger. Maybe JR will weigh in here and give you better answers than I can.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

I think it’s a sound suggestion worthy of serious consideration.
Way to nail it Rust.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 09-26-2017, 06:36 PM

Would you include guitars/items for sale in the USA where the sellers ARE willing to ship worldwide?

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-26-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Would you include guitars/items for sale in the USA where the sellers ARE willing to ship worldwide?
It would be up to a seller where he chooses to list.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:11 AM

If not a new sub-forum for Euro/Rest of the World, then perhaps Sellers themselves could begin their posts with "International:" thereby alerting readers that their items are not limited to buyers from the US. This would include items currently residing both in and outside the US.

cotten
Old 09-27-2017, 11:33 AM

I have noticed previously where UK sellers have prefaced their ad title with "UK", which helps.
I know if I was selling a guitar here (agf) I would do that.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Labeling posts is great but it's not a filter. I think this would be a meaningful change in support of our international members. Great idea.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:58 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Thank you for bringing this up again. We can try it for awhile and see how many people will use it and if it's something we want to keep going. Jeremy got the forum set up today and so we'll see what happens.

JR
Old 09-27-2017, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Awesome to see such a quick response on this! Great job.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Wow... it's up! Have at it...

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...75#post5489275
Old 09-27-2017, 04:06 PM

... Wow!

Thank you very much JR. Thank you to others for a positive response in this thread. I really hope it takes off as I think the AGF is somewhat uniquely positioned as possibly the biggest acoustic guitar forum on the web (the clue is in the name!). It won't be overnight, but this is a great opportunity for forum members.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic