The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-24-2014, 02:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

One of our local luthiers, Chuck Baleno, has made this standard on his instruments... they play wonderfully in tune!

Warning, big pic...

Acoustic Music Works
Guitars, Banjos, Mandolins & Good Company

A top dealer for Collings, Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopp, Baleno Instruments, Eastman, Pisgah Banjos, OME and ODE Banjos, Northfield Mandolins, and more!

(412) 422-0710
www.acousticmusicworks.com

Friend us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
Check out our YouTube channel!
Old 11-24-2014, 02:29 PM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

Hi ljg,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi DA...
  • Because my guitars sound closely in-tune without them…
  • Because the guitars I've played with compensated nuts just moved the out-of-tune spots to different note locations…
  • Because I use capos a lot…(I'm pretty sure a capo would negate the compensation at the nut).
  • And the other couple million guitars sold per year?
  • Can't find any out-of-tune spots anywhere on mine
  • Seems that a capo doesn't negate the benefit (according to the theory as to why the nut 'works')
None of my guitars, that have been well made and expertly set up, sound 'bad'... but none sound quite so spot on. Even the guy that set up my other guitars (who's known as the best in town) was impressed with the intonation of the Minard.

By the way, I'm not for a second saying that slightly out is "bad"... it's not like I'm going to toss all of my other guitars out because I love them all. I'm just genuinely curious to know why compensated nuts haven't taken off more.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:34 PM

The short answer as to why a compensated nut makes sense is that when you fret the string you stretch it at both ends, so both ends need to be compensated.

Suppose you set up a string on a rigid beam, to get any complications due to top and neck motion out of the way. We'll assume you've got the action set up well, and the nut and saddle, and all the frets are exactly in the proper places by calculation. Hook up a tuner to the P/U in the saddle, and what would you see?

The notes fretted on the first fret would be slightly sharp. In pressing the string down to fret it you've stretched it, and the angle on the nut side is pretty large, so the tension changes more than you might think. All the higher notes would also be sharp. If you plot out the degree of sharpness, say in cents deviation from correct pitch, you'll get points that follow a line that rises: a few cents sharp at the first fret, and more and more sharp as you go up. That's because the strings get higher off the frets as you go up, so that have to be displaced more.

Since the fretted notes are sharp you could correct their pitch by shifting the frets back toward the nut a bit. In fact, if you shift them all back by the same distance you'll flatten the pitches of all the notes by about the same amount in cents. But, of course, shifting all the frets back is the same thing as shifting the nut forward by the same amount. If the note on the first fret is 2 cents sharp, then shifting the nut forward by the right amount should flatten all the notes on that string by 2 cents. What you've done is to shift the whole line in the 'sharpness' graph downward.

This still leaves the problem of the pitches going progressively sharp as you go up. That is dealt with by saddle compensation. Shifting the saddle back away from the nut adds proportionally more length to the strings as you go up. It changes the slope of the 'sharpness' line.

If you do the usual thing, compensating the saddle but leaving the nut in the 'theoretical' position, you can get the note to be in tune at the 12th fret (or any other you choose). However, in lower positions they will still be sharp, and above the 12th (or whichever) fret they'll be flat.

If you compensate the nut but not the saddle, the open string and the notes at the first fret (or, again, whichever fret you choose) will be right, but as you go up from the chosen fret they will go sharp.

Compensating both the nut and the saddle can get you 'arbitrarily close' to perfect intonation, at least in theory. You drop the 'sharpness line' down to the point where the notes on the first fret are in tune with nut compensation, and then flatten out the slope of the line with saddle compensation so that all the notes are correct.

A few caveats:

This only works perfectly on rigid beams. On real acoustic guitars the bridge moves more at some frequencies than others, and when the bridge is moving the string motion doesn't end at the saddle, so the pitch can be off. Every guitar will likely have one or more notes that will be hard to get in tune, and the better the guitar the more likely that is to be the case.

Every string is different. You have to set things up for the strings you use. If you use a lot of altered tunings you can't make them all perfect from one setup.

A capo, in effect, pushes the strings down in another place, sharping them a bit more than they would be from just finger pressure on one fret. I've found that there's less need to re-tune with a capo when you have a compensated nut, but it doesn't eliminate it entirely depending on how fussy you are.

'Perfect' intonation only has some meaning in reference to a standard. In the case of guitar, the standard is 12-tone Equal Temperament. Since it's mathematically impossible to construct a scheme of temperament that gives perfect 'beatless' fifths all around, all temperaments are compromises that are more or less out of tune someplace in some keys. Equal temperament is out of tune in the same way in all keys, which makes it easy to modulate from one key to another. It also allows the use of straight frets, which we luthiers really appreciate. But there's no getting around the fact that ET is off in some intervals, and once you hear that it never goes away.

Finally, Trevor Gore rightly pointed out in his chapter on the subject that once you've played a guitar that is in tune, it's hard to go back. One of my favorite guitars is out in the shop gathering dust because I haven't had the time to cut off the end of the fingerboard and make a new nut.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:54 PM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

Many thanks for that Mr Carruth, very informative.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Default Hear, Hear

I love it when someone who knows what they are talking about posts. And as for :

"Finally, Trevor Gore rightly pointed out in his chapter on the subject that once you've played a guitar that is in tune, it's hard to go back. One of my favorite guitars is out in the shop gathering dust because I haven't had the time to cut off the end of the fingerboard and make a new nut. "

I totally agree.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationAngel View Post
  • And the other couple million guitars sold per year?
  • Can't find any out-of-tune spots anywhere on mine
  • Seems that a capo doesn't negate the benefit (according to the theory as to why the nut 'works')
…I'm just genuinely curious to know why compensated nuts haven't taken off more.
Hi DA...

Pretty sure there is not unanimity on whether capos negate the effect of compensated nut even by builders…

I find that as one plays further up the neck (where I do a lot of backing guitar) there are more 'obvious' out of tune notes. When playing up there, I just bend back notes into tune with the other notes in chord inversions. Actually I'm bending the in-tune note of the triad into better tune with a slightly sharpest one, and it sounds more in tune when all three are more closely aligned.

I've heard people say they cannot find out of tune notes on their guitars, but I assure them that if they throw their guitar on a strobe tuner, and work their way fret by fret up the neck, they will discover interesting things about the intonation of their instrument.

Buzz Feiten patented a system, which he claims has by carefully compensating the nut and saddle more perfect tuning is achieved. He didn't invent this, just patented it, as luthiers have been advancing the nut into the first fret a bit for decades as well as carefully compensating saddles, and Ervana has been selling compensated nuts for electric guitars for quite a while.

I'm intrigued by intonation, have really good hearing and sensitivity toward in/out of tune-ness, and after playing guitars with all sorts of compensation systems and claims towards perfection, none of them have prompted me to have major work done on my guitars.

I'm glad you found something that moves your playing to a new level.

Why isn't it gaining more traction?
I imagine the compensated nut is something like side-ports and fanned frets (multi-scale necks). They all serve some people well, but none have enough traction that all guitar makers are using them (or even offering them).

And one can have a Feiten system installed on any acoustic guitar (which is a two pronged design compensation at both nut and saddle) for about $350 (the last time I heard a price quoted). Less money to convert an electric guitar.

I have not tried either of these, but really would like to...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-24-2014, 10:13 PM

Chap,

Quote:
[size=2]I'm glad you found something that moves your playing to a new level.
Let's not get carried away... I never claimed that
Old 11-24-2014, 11:53 PM

Location: Darwin, Australia, 12.5 degrees south of the equator

Quote:
[size=2]

Buzz Feiten patented a system, which he claims has by carefully compensating the nut and saddle more perfect tuning is achieved. He didn't invent this, just patented it, as luthiers have been advancing the nut into the first fret a bit for decades as well as carefully compensating saddles, and Ervana has been selling compensated nuts for electric guitars for quite a while.

Do you have any idea what it was that Buzz actually patented Larry. Seems his patent may be on the method. Leaves me wondering if it is as accurate as Trevor Gores published method (which is there for anyone who buys his books)

Jim
If I chose car racing instead.
Jim Schofield
Old 11-25-2014, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.S View Post
Do you have any idea what it was that Buzz actually patented Larry. Seems his patent may be on the method. Leaves me wondering if it is as accurate as Trevor Gores published method (which is there for anyone who buys his books)

Jim
He holds 6 or 7 patents, several of which are related to tuning and nut compensation: the others are related to bridge designs. The patents related to nut compensation are specifically for the amount of nut compensation used for each type of guitar - electric, nylon string and steel string - and the specific "offsets" he uses for 12th fret/12th harmonic compensation. Unlike "conventional" compensation that matches the pitch of 12th fret note and 12th fret harmonic, his scheme offsets the two. This is used in conjunction with his specific application of stretch tuning. Thus, the patent covers the specific amount of nut compensation, the offsets for the 12th fret (achieved via saddle compensation) and his specific application of stretch tuning.

Mr. Gore's book provides a method for empirically deriving the amount of nut and saddle compensation that optimizes the intonation across the range of a particular guitar. He doesn't say, "Use these values", as Feiten does. If I recall correctly, Mr. Gore does not specifically detail the use of stretch tuning or 12th fret/12th fret harmonic offsets.

Feiten's patents are available on-line. Do a search and you'll find them. If you wade throughout the math preamble, you'll eventually get to the actual values, offsets and stretch tuning method.

Opinions vary on how to achieve the best intonation. Many players are satisfied with the poor intonation found on the average factory-made instrument. Thus, the subject is something of a moving target with a heavy component of subjectivity.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:20 AM

I know that my M needs a new saddle, I'll try an intonated one, it is going to the tech in a couple of weeks any way... The LR Baggs Anthem is getting pulled, but that is a different thread.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:26 AM

Quote:
That neck offends my eyes, but I bet it works...
Old 11-25-2014, 03:14 AM

I'd never heard of such a thing before. Hmm. His may warrant further investigation.
Fender Standard Stratocaster - 2000
Genz-Benz Shenandoah Jr
Old 11-25-2014, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Pretty sure there is not unanimity on whether capos negate the effect of compensated nut even by builders…
Larry, I would bet the farm that not one builder will post on here saying that a capo negates the effect of a compensated nut.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
He holds 6 or 7 patents, several of which are related to tuning and nut compensation: the others are related to bridge designs. The patents related to nut compensation are specifically for the amount of nut compensation used for each type of guitar - electric, nylon string and steel string - and the specific "offsets" he uses for 12th fret/12th harmonic compensation. Unlike "conventional" compensation that matches the pitch of 12th fret note and 12th fret harmonic, his scheme offsets the two. This is used in conjunction with his specific application of stretch tuning. Thus, the patent covers the specific amount of nut compensation, the offsets for the 12th fret (achieved via saddle compensation) and his specific application of stretch tuning.

Mr. Gore's book provides a method for empirically deriving the amount of nut and saddle compensation that optimizes the intonation across the range of a particular guitar. He doesn't say, "Use these values", as Feiten does. If I recall correctly, Mr. Gore does not specifically detail the use of stretch tuning or 12th fret/12th fret harmonic offsets.

Feiten's patents are available on-line. Do a search and you'll find them. If you wade throughout the math preamble, you'll eventually get to the actual values, offsets and stretch tuning method.

Opinions vary on how to achieve the best intonation. Many players are satisfied with the poor intonation found on the average factory-made instrument. Thus, the subject is something of a moving target with a heavy component of subjectivity.
Thanks for the info Charles, Trevor does go over a bit of stretch tuning when he talks about what the bending stiffness of the string does to the higher harmonics.

Also he gives a few methods of compensation. First empirical, then one titled "Intonation for a high performance guitar" pages of maths in that one but it looks very accurate. Then "compensation without most of the mathematics" which is pretty good. Then "compensation with even less mathematics" which he refers to as a "quick and dirty" method but it does seem that any of those methods he gives get you better intonation than standard 12th fret intonation.

I hear your last statement and I suppose it is subjective when some people just hear better than others and some even though they hear something is a bit of out of tune they put up with it as part of guitar life and just work with it, still I want to eventually tackle the "high performance" cause the "quick and dirty" has me so impressed already, next step build more jigs or "test rigs and learn more maths. Handing a player a guitar that plays so in tune is a fine thing.

Jim
Jim Schofield
Old 11-25-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
Larry, I would bet the farm that not one builder will post on here saying that a capo negates the effect of a compensated nut.
You must like popcorn Murray.

Jim
Jim Schofield

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion