The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-24-2014, 10:16 AM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
6 pages of responses because of a youtube comment. Yikes!
The thread on Neil Young vs Starbucks is up to 21 pages... but it's no longer about Neil Young or Starbucks...
Old 11-24-2014, 11:35 AM

Smile

people fail to recognize that pros like clapton and taylor have a full time guitar tech that does all of their alternate tunings and maintain all the guitars they have been sponsered....i play bluegrass and southern gospel and have to do my own maintenance....not complaining but i play bluegrass and alot of the sound is attained from capoing the same as other players and being consistent with other players.......some forms of g arent right for every song and what works for one singer doesnt work for another especially the voicing of the chords.... just my 1 cent....my wife got the other.lol
Old 11-24-2014, 11:48 AM

A capo is an absolute necessity for a singer songwriter...from James Taylor, Eric Clapton, Cat Stevens, and too many more to list, all use a capo as needed. Who ever made that comment on the video you heard must be a piano player not a guitarist!
Old 11-24-2014, 12:05 PM

I think capos are great. However, while they do have their place, sometimes, they shouldn't be used. A primary example of what I think really causes the knee jerk reaction against capos is what I will now term the "cowboy chord curse" since not sure if there is another term for this. Let's say a song is in the key of E. Now, this dictates using bar chords for the B (V chord). There is also a F#m too, also a bar chord. Some people dislike playing these chords and choose instead to just capo the 4th fret and play it with "C" fingering because it's easier for them to play.

What often is the result... everything they play sounds the same because they use the exact same voicing for every chord. The player has avoided learning anything beyond the cowboy chord shapes and has made a song that might have once been interesting due to some unique chord voicings, more mundane.

There is nothing wrong with cowboy chords. They are great. However, when a capo is used to avoid playing anything but... well, that is where I think a capo is a detriment.

However, if they song needs the open chord voicings... yet the singer wants it in a different register. That's a perfect place for a capo. Also, when multiple guitars are playing and want to avoid playing identical voicings, one can use a capo. Ultimately, it is a great tool. It can be overused though.

Just one man's opinion.

Last edited by J.acoustic; 11-24-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:13 PM
Guest4562

The only thing that matters is the sound I produce with the instrument. How I do it is my business.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1 View Post
Some songs only sound right if you use a capo on them
And those songs were recorded with a capo. So if you want to sound like the recording, you have to use a capo.

You can play any Stones song that Keith played in Open G in Standard tuning. It will sound the same in terms of pitch, but it will never sound and feel the same as the recording. I've tried really hard. And I come up with different things in Open G that would never happen in standard. Is that cheating?

I don't personally think it's necessary to use one when writing my own new song. But if you are going for the same feel as a song you know that doesn't sound right without one? If that sound you can't get without it inspires, or naturally leads you to write differently? How is that shady?
Old 11-24-2014, 02:15 PM

Wow, I have been playing awhile and never heard anyone have any issue with using a capo. To me it is invaluable to make open string arrangements playable in any key. I will go ahead and say i think having an issue with capo use is idiotic.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:58 PM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

I've been furiously capo-ing since this thread came up, in protest...
Old 11-24-2014, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Default capo

I fully agree that using a capo is NOT in any way cheating, nor does it make the player 'lesser'.
In fact, many professional artists, particularly singer/players, use a capo when singing as it allows the player to concentrate on singing and not 'stretching' to make some unusual chords.
My suggestion: Tell the person who disparaged the capo to (in the British parlance) BUGGER OFF!!
Old 11-24-2014, 04:28 PM

Andy McKee is such a cheater - I never use a capo when I play Rylynn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsD6uEZsIsU
2006 Martin D28
1992 Yamaha LL35
1976 Gibson Les Paul
1966 Magnatone Tornado
Old 11-24-2014, 04:45 PM

I'm pretty sure I watched my dad playing when I was a young kid and asked him what that thing was he put on the neck of his guitar. That's a cheater son. Then asking my uncle how a certain part was played and him saying, oh that guy is using a cheater. I'm also pretty sure the first time I bought one, I walked in the store and said I need a cheater and the salesman pulled out a couple for me to try. Now what is a capo?

Get my drift?

hunter
Old 11-24-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettil View Post
Andy McKee is such a cheater - I never use a capo when I play Rylynn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsD6uEZsIsU
That is a partial capo....he is only partly cheating.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 11-24-2014, 05:49 PM

I remember my aunt calling it a cheater as opposed to a capo when I was a kid. I don't remember knowing it as anything else until I decided to learn to play guitar less than two years ago.

My sister in law has a guitar playing fiancé. I mentioned my learning and somehow a capo came up in conversation. He said with very clear disgust that he'd either learn to play correctly or not bother trying. I thought that seemed a little bit silly.

I'm to the point now where I can play most of what I've learned "cheating" with a capo without using one. I find in some cases that I prefer the sound with the capo and some without. I let my ear decide and can't say that I have any concern about what others think. I think it's very likely that I'll be a lifelong beginner and the capo is way low on my list of things to worry about.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.acoustic View Post
Let's say a song is in the key of E. Now, this dictates using bar chords for the B (V chord). There is also a F#m too, also a bar chord. Some people dislike playing these chords and choose instead to just capo the 4th fret and play it with "C" fingering because it's easier for them to play.
Not to nitpick, but in the key of E, the basic chords will be E, A, and B7, all of which can be played using all 6 strings without using barre chords.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:32 PM

I've got nothing against them but they seem to negatively affect the sound of my guitars when I use them. I suspect that I'm using them incorrectly.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion