The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-23-2014, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

It's a tool. Using a tool isn't cheating, it's a sign of advanced intelligence. I played guitar for 45 years before I bought a capo... took me a while to advance, I guess.

Captain Jim
Old 11-23-2014, 09:18 AM

Reminds me of a joke ... if you want to legally park your car in a handicap space in Nashville, just throw a capo on the dashboard.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

I use a capo a ton in our acoustic music duo to get to the keys that best suit my wife's vocal range for the covers we perform...

And since I'm 53 and not 12, I really don't care what anyone thinks about anything I do!

Last edited by Glennwillow; 11-23-2014 at 10:51 AM. Reason: language
Old 11-23-2014, 09:44 AM

Musicians use capos, hack players complain because they don't know any better, that simple............

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 11-23-2014, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Capos are an essential tool for a guitar player. I have a couple of those partial capos too and they are fun to fool around with.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:09 AM

Well, the ones who I find are totally anti-capo are usually classical guitarists, who also are typically opposed to alternate tunings. I heard one classical guitarist remark that non-classical guitarists rely heavily on capos as a way to "avoid mastering the fretboard." Quite frankly I think most of us on here can name every note on every string of the fretboard in a number of different tunings (it ain't that hard!) so I strongly disagree with that sentiment.

Capos are a useful tool. I use a capo a lot. Makes transposition easy and I just don't really like playing barre chords as they cramp me up in short order, even after all these years. Not to mention barre chords have significantly less resonance than open position chords, played either at the nut or with a capo. I also find that on many songs playing in a higher register on the neck actually works better when singing along (not that I'm really that great of a singer) as I have a very low voice, so they kind of complement one another.

There's nothing wrong with using capos. Don't sweat it.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:23 AM

They can be used as cheaters no argument there.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1 View Post
I was watching a you tube video in which Neil Finn of Crowded House plays an acoustic version of ' Fall At Your Feet ' ( great song, and great version too ) but in the comments section below the video screen someone had commented that he was using a capo to play the song, and seemed surprised and maybe a little disappointed.
I used to play with some other guys, and one ( an electric guitar enthusiast ) used to habitually make derogatory comments about my using a capo on certain songs. He seemed to regard it as some kind of cheat, like I couldn't really play the song properly, so I resorted to the devil's device.
Some songs only sound right if you use a capo on them, and I think that using it is not cheating at all, but utilizing a tool to achieve a sound that I am looking for.
I have seen people watching live acts also making remarks about performers using capos like they are just second class musicians, and it bothers me.
Is the capo a device of the Devil ?
Some people are just full of it. Ignore them and use your capo. For most significant styles of music, I can find top of their game professionals who will happily condescend to use a capo.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:35 AM

I use a capo so it must be ok.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:41 AM

My pride and I admit I am a snob about being a musician I would not be caught dead with a capo...but the best acoustic player I know has a acoustic tuned to each key. the short scales are tuned high . his b flat is a long scale fan fret , his c guitar is like a child's guitar except it cost over 1000.00. he is a studio musician and I understand the sound the producers are looking for. so I understand why the capo. but I would have to have a acoustic tuned to each key I wanted I just could not bring myself to use a capo. I do not do a lot of open cords anyway. just not my sound. acoustic is a small part of my show just to show off my flamenco and classical skills.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I use a capo a ton in our acoustic music duo to get to the keys that best suit my wife's vocal range for the covers we perform...

And since I'm 53 and not 12, I really don't care what anyone thinks about anything I do!
I love this answer! I use a capo and am a two-finger finger-picker.

Last edited by Glennwillow; 11-23-2014 at 10:53 AM. Reason: edited quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:47 AM

What a bunch of no-talent hacks, lazily using those darn capos!!! Take away their guitar player's card!!

Old 11-23-2014, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

About 25 years ago when my family and I were performing as a group (several instruments) and I was playing either acoustic or electric guitar in the stage show, I did not use a capo during the show because I did not dare take the time to retune. Capos are so much better today and so are tuners, and today I would probably use a capo since the original songs performed were often written with a capo on. In fact, the recordings were made with the capo on because the voicings were more appealing to me. It's not like I couldn't play these songs without a capo, it's that they sounded better with the capo on.

As so many here have already pointed out, some of the best players out there are using a capo on a regular basis. So many so-called experts love to have something to criticize other players about. I suppose it makes them feel superior.

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 11-23-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:03 AM

Dont see why anyone should be funny about using a capo. As others have said before a great tool to use to help with keys that entail difficult fingering and great when you are in a duo to differentiate the sound from your partner ( as I do a lot). Great example is Norwegian Wood where i play capo'd at 2 and my partner just plays open E. The blend works really well
Old 11-23-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1 View Post
Some songs only sound right if you use a capo on them, and I think that using it is not cheating at all, but utilizing a tool to achieve a sound that I am looking for.
I have seen people watching live acts also making remarks about performers using capos like they are just second class musicians, and it bothers me.
Is the capo a device of the Devil ?
In point of fact the guitar is a "lazy" persons instrument.
You don't have to know how to read music. Tab makes it "simple"

A capo is for those that can transpose. If you can play every key, and hit those five fret stretches, more power to Ya.

I've finally learned to transpose in a fashion that allows me to use a capo.
I'm lazy enough to love to play open chords,,

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion