The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-18-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjond56 View Post
The Classical Clef website has literally thousands of arrangements in notation and tab which are downloadable/printable for free. www.classicalclef.com

Jon
I think you mean www.classclef.com Jon.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:09 PM

Thanks to everyone for their encouragement. I'm going to give it a shot with a few lessons in the DC area and at least 30 minutes of practice each day and give myself a year.

Hoping to pick up some good habits and a few songs within a year, or this still expecting too much?
Old 11-28-2014, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Get a teacher who understands that you enjoy other styles of music.

Nothing wrong with studying classical guitar, but there are different approaches. When I think of modern classical guitar I really think of technique. Stuff like reading music or learning theory isn't exclusive to classical guitar. However, classical players have a different (maybe more deliberate) approach to things like tone production and fingering. Really studying and practicing that technique will require some serious patience and commitment.

As someone who has played for thirty years, I tried it last year. It wasn't right for me. To do it properly was too big a commitment. I wasn't willing to go back to square one. I wish I'd started that path as a kid. I still love classical guitar music.

Other people have had different results. Good luck!
Old 11-29-2014, 08:40 AM

I'm 42 and started classical guitar instruction at 40. I think it is a good choice if your willing to commit to the style for about 5 years. It's not been easy but I can clearly see the benefits already. I am looking at it long term and feel like I'm establishing a foundation with which to play other styles. I am mainly interested in finger style playing and am enjoying blues songs at the moment.

You must find the proper instructor though. One that's classically trained, say a masters degree or higher, but is also cool with newer finger style music.

As has been mentioned, classical guitar training is deliberate and specific, it's challenging too, but once you reach the other side of the journey, you'll be a far better finger style performer.

Francisco Navarro Concert Classical
Francisco Navarro Student Flamenco
Eastman AC708 Sunburst
Seagull S6
Cordoba C-5
Fender Strat MIM
Old 11-29-2014, 08:47 AM

Read this --> Time Traveling With Your Guitar

Its an article about progressing into new places with your playing.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:00 AM

Default delcamp classical guitar lessons free

I would try taking on line course from Delcamp Classical Guitar and they are free don't cost much and are informative and easy to learn from.
http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/
Old 01-04-2015, 01:01 AM

Default delcamp classical guitar lessons free

I would try taking on line course from Delcamp Classical Guitar and they are free don't cost much and are informative and easy to learn from.
http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/
Old 01-04-2015, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garthjmoore View Post
Thanks to everyone for their encouragement. I'm going to give it a shot with a few lessons in the DC area and at least 30 minutes of practice each day and give myself a year.

Hoping to pick up some good habits and a few songs within a year, or this still expecting too much?
30 minutes of practice a day isn't even enough to keep you at current levels. It's barely enough to get warmed up. It's a bigger commitment than that if you really want to learn to play classical. The biggest problem for most folks who already play is unlearning a lot of bad/incorrect habits.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garthjmoore View Post
Hi all,

I need some honest advice, not necessarily encouragement or compliments.

I've played guitar since I was 11, three years of lessons before switching to bass, which i played until I was 22. Since then, I've tried gypsy jazz, jazz, bluegrass, banjo, and mandolin. I love playing fingerstyle and DADGAD, but I'm not very smooth nor do I have an outstanding repertoire.

My wife recommended classical guitar, but I'm worried that a. my hands are too small b. I'm too old and set in my ways 3. I don't read music very well.

Is this a fool's errand or should I give it a shot? What can I expect out of lessons at my age?

Thanks.
Learning to play classical guitar with a qualified instructor will help you a) learn techniques to deal with stretches and alternate fingerings, b) teach you new approaches to learning and playing, and c) improve your ability to read music.

Enjoy
Old 01-05-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaddyT View Post
30 minutes of practice a day isn't even enough to keep you at current levels. It's barely enough to get warmed up. It's a bigger commitment than that if you really want to learn to play classical. The biggest problem for most folks who already play is unlearning a lot of bad/incorrect habits.
1/2 hour per day, if studiously undertaken, is sufficient for an amateur to work on technique and a limited amount of repertoire at a beginner's level. It's not enough to develop top musical proficiency anymore than a 1/2 hour walk will result in great athletic skills. But both will lead to measurable gains and personal satisfaction. If the interest, talent and perseverance is there, more attention will naturally result. Unless one has professional or advanced amateur ambitions, start with the 1/2 hour and see what develops.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucefulton View Post
1/2 hour per day, if studiously undertaken, is sufficient for an amateur to work on technique and a limited amount of repertoire at a beginner's level. It's not enough to develop top musical proficiency anymore than a 1/2 hour walk will result in great athletic skills. But both will lead to measurable gains and personal satisfaction. If the interest, talent and perseverance is there, more attention will naturally result. Unless one has professional or advanced amateur ambitions, start with the 1/2 hour and see what develops.
Well said! Great metaphor!

Martin D-15M
Taylor 420 Maple
Alvarez MD80
Alvarez MD80/12
Old 01-06-2015, 03:31 PM

Whether you do this depends on what you want out of playing classical, and how much you want to put into it.

A good classical teacher will help you with dynamic and string playing technique that will widen the breadth of your playing depending on how many sounds you can now get out of the guitar. It is pretty amazing how much difference strategic alternating between loud and soft playing, and alternating between close to fingerboard vs. close to bridge playing makes in a piece. Such variances are not specific to classical playing, but I think classical playing puts more emphasis on this and will make one more mindful of it...

A good classical teacher will also help you with posture and left and right hand placement, which will likely increase the ease with which you play the guitar over time.

With some patience, you'll learn to read music, etc...

I am 49, and for the past 4 years or so I have taken Hawaiian Slack Key guitar lessons. My instructors have been / are Hawaiian, but have also been trained (and taught others) in the classical approach. I say this to indicate that if classical music is not your cup of tea, you can still find those who practice the technique within the context of other musical genres...
Old 01-06-2015, 08:48 PM

Hi. I'm new to the AGF forum. I'm from the UK.

You're never too old to learn. I started classical guitar lessons last November. I'm 58 years old.

Over the years I've dabbled with the guitar but not gone anywhere fast with it. 4 years ago I bought an Ibaniz AEG10NE. The narrow neck suits my tiny hands (childs size and a very short pinky finger).

My own biggest problem is I've been playing piano and keyboards all my life and think I can just pick up the guitar and play it as well - wrong.

I can read music but it's remembering where the notes on the guitar are. There are times I find it frustrating but I know with time and patience it'll come together eventually - a bit like learning to drive. Everything is separate to begin with, steering, acceleration, gears etc. then one day it just gels into place.

I think patience and taking it bar by bar helps. I also have a good teacher. He's a jazz guitarist but also teaches classical. He's given me an introduction to jazz with a well known and beautiful tune called Autumn Leaves.

Again, I'll say it - you're never too old to learn
Old 01-08-2015, 09:33 AM

I started playing bass at 15 rock and blues. then country then jazz fusion . when the neo-classical movement hit I jumped on that not long after that I went to college on a music scholarship at age 30. I took classical guitar best thing I ever did.. Yes! you should.. ill will also add if you take flamenco guitar and dance ( need the dance to fully understand the idiom. even if you just go with your guitar to watch and play)...your finger style will amaze you............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......about reading here is how I do it. look at the key then scan the chart quickly.. example the chart is in A minor and starting the a scale on the 5th fret will cover all the notes. I position my hand there maybe play the scale one time to get it under your fingers. then finger the first note where it would be in the scale with the correct finger. after that do not think in notes think in steps. staying in the scale . you see a accidental you know you need to lower or raise a half. one note is a space next one is a line and a space go up the scale 2 steps. it gets rid of searching for the note there are to many of the same notes on a guitar it will drive you crazy.

Last edited by EoE; 01-08-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:20 PM

I don't this you should worry about age, as many have pointed out. I just picked up my first guitar at 46 last month. Everything comes in time (reading music, etc). I know that I'm probably going to need at least 5 yrs to get half way decent. I'm doing the delcamp lessons, and have been practicing about 1hr\night.\
Good luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical