The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-04-2014, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Default Questions re: Pavan TP-30

Wondering if anyone has first hand experience with Pavan classicals, in particular the TP-30 with spruce top. I'm interested to know their general tone (i.e. are they typically extremely lush for Romantic music or more general purpose classical tone, how are the trebles, how is the clarity), playability and responsiveness, build quality, quality of materials, etc.

Thanks,
Chuck

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 11-11-2014, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Comments, anyone?

Old 11-11-2014, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

I had a spruce 64mm TP-30 for several years. I thought I could do better and launched a long-term effort to find a nicer guitar for a good price. It took me many months of trying much more expensive guitars (several from world-renowned makers), none of which clearly surpassed the TP-30 in all areas, from top to bottom. It finally took a Kenny Hill Master Series Rodriguez (at about $4,500, I believe) to give me more overall than the TP-30 did. The Pavan was a superb guitar. Very responsive and about midway between romantic warmth and Baroque-esque clarity. Responsiveness and playability were excellent, and this from someone with hand/wrist injuries that make me very sensitive to playability. I highly recommend you give one a try, especially with Thomas's generous trial policy.
-Bob
Old 11-11-2014, 06:29 PM

I had a TP-30 spruce that was worth the cost. I highly recommend it.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesson11 View Post
I had a spruce 64mm TP-30 for several years. I thought I could do better and launched a long-term effort to find a nicer guitar for a good price. It took me many months of trying much more expensive guitars (several from world-renowned makers), none of which clearly surpassed the TP-30 in all areas, from top to bottom. It finally took a Kenny Hill Master Series Rodriguez (at about $4,500, I believe) to give me more overall than the TP-30 did. The Pavan was a superb guitar. Very responsive and about midway between romantic warmth and Baroque-esque clarity. Responsiveness and playability were excellent, and this from someone with hand/wrist injuries that make me very sensitive to playability. I highly recommend you give one a try, especially with Thomas's generous trial policy.
-Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by strings4him View Post
I had a TP-30 spruce that was worth the cost. I highly recommend it.
Thanks to both of you for the information. I did an AGF search on Pavan, and did read your prior posts, but it's nice to hear your comments are still positive even with more passage of time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical