The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-24-2014, 02:22 PM

Default Thinking about getting a Martin 000-18E Retro - First Post

This is my first post on here. I've been looking at the Martin 000-18E Retro. I like the size and the short scale length. I have been also looking at possibly getting a Collings. Could someone tell me which Collings guitar(s) would be the closest to the Martin as far as size, short scale length, mahogany back and sides etc.? Thanks!!
Old 11-24-2014, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Hi Robert,

Welcome to the AGF!

The Martin 000-18 Retro would be a very nice guitar. You might also check out the Martin 000-18GE.

From Collings, try this link: http://www.collingsguitars.com/Instruments/?ID=15

- Glenn
Old 11-24-2014, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Greetings, Robert.

Glad you joined the crew. I'm a self-confessed admirer of 000 18s, having owned three of them. (I now have two.)

I see that Glenn has posted the link to Collings; if you go that route, make sure you find a SS (short scale).

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849
Old 11-24-2014, 02:56 PM

Greetings!

You do realize the 000-81e Retro is an acoustic/electric, do you need a stage guitar?

Food for thought. I have owned 3 Martin acoustic/electrics (DC-Aura, OMC Aura, GPCPA1), strictly as performance guitars, and the electronics change about every 3-4 years, and so far there has not been an upgrade path.

Point being, down the road there will be better electronics and outdated electronics do not help resale value. Most folks are better served adding removable electronics if/when needed rather than buying onboard electronics.

I am not dissing Martin/Fishman electronics, the Aura systems are excellent, that's why I've used them over 12 years, but onboard electronics are forever, and IMO really only practical for a heavy gigger who can justify a acoustic electric, and if not buy the guitar you want and add a system.

Just my .02 speaking from experience and the potential costs to keep up. Martin already has had the original Aura, Aura+ (Performing Artist 1 and 2 series) and Retro series in just the last decade.

Personally I would find a used 000-18GE and add removable electronics. Best of Luck!!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 11-24-2014, 02:58 PM

Hey guys thanks for the responses. I am going to try to find a Martin 000-18 to try out soon! As far as the Collings, it looks like the Collings 01 is the closest (Mahogany back & sides and short scale length). I got a Taylor 712ce Grand Concert last year and I loved the smaller size and short scale length so much that I am thinking about selling my 2007 Martin Dreadnought (Adirondack spruce top, solid rosewood back and sides, rosewood fingerboard) which was a Musicians Friend Custom model at the time.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
Greetings!

You do realize the 000-81e Retro is an acoustic/electric, do you need a stage guitar?
I do know it's A/E and I think I may want this because my Taylor GC is also A/E and I often enjoy playing through my PA, however I would consider a non-electric version.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:52 PM

And you also should realize that a 000-18 is not the same as a 000-18GE.
Two different animals. Go find the GE!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion