The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-24-2014, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
This year I have the fortunate chance of playing in a marching string band complete with several banjos, saxophones, drums and one National Reso-phonic guitar (me). We'll be marching in a few parades which, despite the weather should be a lot of fun.

My job is basically playing all rhythm in that chop, chop, Freddie Green jazz and Western Swing style so I get to throw in lots of chord substitutions over normally simply progressions.
A marching string band? Hmmm... I think youtubes are in order.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:30 PM

No new songs this year yet. Might give the christmas song a try this weekend
Last hear I played this. Very common christmas song here in Sweden. It is the main theme to a 70's short film that airs on tv every christmas eve.

http://youtu.be/dfYWD4hDkdw

Current:
2008 Taylor GC8
2009 Esteve 8 EIR/Romanian Spruce
2001 Fender Stratocaster vintage '62
and a hefty amount of cheap beaters to circle around the house

Sold:
2014 Lowden F25 Custom
2006 Taylor GS6e

My John Renbourn tribute
Old 11-24-2014, 02:44 PM

I'm actually a bit ahead of the curve. I just recorded a Christmas album a couple weeks ago (acoustic guitar & cello), so I have some tunes worked up already

If any of you guys would like to hear/learn my arrangements, I have the album up on iTunes and Amazon, and the tab/notation book is on Amazon.

TAB/Notation Book

Also, the CD of these arrangements can be previewed/downloaded from iTunes or Amazon at the links below...

Amazon

iTunes

Here's an example of how my book includes chord frames to show the fingerings/voicings used throughout each arrangement

I'm going to make instructional videos for these arrangements as well ASAP, but I'm not sure exactly when I'll have them up.

Last edited by 815C; 11-24-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:45 PM

Our trio (Guitar, upright bass & 2 vocals) added 4 Christmas songs to our sets this year. Kathy Matea's version of "Mary Did You Know"; the Eagles' version of "Please Come Home For Christmas"; Robert Earl Keen's "Merry Christmas From The Family" and Commander Cody's "Daddy's Drinking Up Our Christmas".

I could also throw in "We wish You A Merry Christmas" and "Christmas is All Around" (the parady of "Love is All Around from the movie Love Actually).

I want to learn a few more traditional hymns and carols. Was thinking of "Silent Night" and "Oh, Holy Night". On the secular side, John Lennon's "Happy Xmas". Maybe I will work on them this week.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:07 PM

This is only my second year attempting Christmas stuff. Right now, I play a lot of stuff out of Bruce Emery's plain and fancy. Some I play at level 1 and some at level 3. Also just started working on an arrangement of White Christmas I downloaded from sheetmusicdirect. Already have that memorized, just need to smooth a few things.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 11-25-2014, 06:05 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I usually take on one or two new carols each year (usually one, I'm lazy) as a meditation.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-26-2014, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
I'm actually a bit ahead of the curve. I just recorded a Christmas album a couple weeks ago (acoustic guitar & cello), so I have some tunes worked up already

If any of you guys would like to hear/learn my arrangements, I have the album up on iTunes and Amazon, and the tab/notation book is on Amazon.

TAB/Notation Book

Also, the CD of these arrangements can be previewed/downloaded from iTunes or Amazon at the links below...

Amazon

iTunes

Here's an example of how my book includes chord frames to show the fingerings/voicings used throughout each arrangement

I'm going to make instructional videos for these arrangements as well ASAP, but I'm not sure exactly when I'll have them up.

Thanks for the link, I'll have some listen once get back home. Have been in mobile device lately hence have not check the link. Was that in standard tuning or alternate ???

2010 VAOM-04
2012 Custom Secco Guitar

2013 Collings OM2H

2014 Cordoba Fusion 12 Natural

YouTube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/hendragunawanng
Old 11-26-2014, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendra View Post
Thanks for the link, I'll have some listen once get back home. Have been in mobile device lately hence have not check the link. Was that in standard tuning or alternate ???
All the songs were standard tuning except the medley of Joy To The World/Angels We Have Heard On High (I had the 6th string tuned down to D), and the medley of It Came Upon A Midnight Clear/The First Noel (I tuned to open D)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion