The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-24-2014, 04:43 AM
Charter Member

Default Rainsong Parlor versus Composite Acoustics Cargo

I'm interested in both to replace my GSM Hog. I love my GSM but I don't love the 1-11/16" nut width, amazing how that 1/16" makes such a difference.

Both of these instruments look impressive on paper but there are no dealers in my area. So if you own one or better yet if you've had the chance to play both, please let me know what you think.

Thanks!!!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 10-24-2014, 05:36 AM

I've played them both (and the Blackbird Lucky 13 too). They are all different. I wasn't looking to buy one but the moment I played the Rainsong P12, I was hooked. It has a very different neck from the others and I love it, not everyone does though. I'd strongly suggest that you plan a trip to play all of the models you are interested in. These aren't cheap guitars so the trip will be money well spent. FWIW, I had to travel about 400 miles to find a combination of dealers with all of the guitars I wanted to try.

Rainsong Shorty SG
Rainsong P12T
All the Martins, Gibsons, and others are gone.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

FWIW, I'm interested in the Studio Parlor version of the Rainsong as it is more comparable in price to the Cargo. I'll check out the Blackbird also.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 10-24-2014, 10:21 AM

The Cargo feels a lot like a Baby Taylor except that it has the 1.75 inch nut which makes a world of difference for my fat fingers. I don't have a cargo, but I have played the one in a nearby shop. I could see getting it.

I do have a Blackbird Lucky 13. It's a bit bigger scale than a GSM (body is roughly the same size) and reminds me of the old Gibson blues guitars. I use it for finger style playing when I am sitting on the couch. It has three sound holes (two on the body and one at head) and no truss. The relief is set permanently at 0.004 inches on mine and I have fairly low action that makes it a joy to play up and down the strings.

I haven't touched a Parlor, but I have played a Black Ice Wind Song that I came very close to taking home a few months ago.

My go to dread is an Emerald X20 which I got when I was looking for something like a Taylor 612. It's an incredible guitar (from ppp to fff) and I travel with it in a soft case without any problems so far.

All my guitars have to constantly be re-tuned whenever I pick them up to play because of changes in the environment except for my two carbon fibers. They are both very amazing and good sounding guitars and both have incredible sustain.

I probably didn't help you much in your quest, but that's my 2 cents.

Last edited by mot; 10-24-2014 at 10:23 AM. Reason: scale distinction
Old 10-24-2014, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Default cargo/rainsong parlor

Have played both the Rainsong Parlor and the CA Cargo. Different tone and feel.
I ended up purchasing the Cargo primarily because of the stringer bass response.
The price was a factor as well: Rainsong was several hundred dollars more.
I think they are both excellent guitars for specific purposes> for example, travel or keeping in a stand next to your TV watching chair.
For travel, they are next to perfect as they fit in airline overhead compartments and 'accept' differences in humidity, heat and cold.
For 'TV chair use, if you accidentally knock it off the stand, or bump it, it will usually not 'ding'. Great if yo have kids or pets.

The only negative of each is that the tone, when compared to wood guitars, is somewhat harsh. Not a pure sound for a purist. But NOT bad!

My most humble opinion.....
Old 10-24-2014, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Default cargo/rainsong parlor

Have played both the Rainsong Parlor and the CA Cargo. Different tone and feel.
I ended up purchasing the Cargo primarily because of the stringer bass response.
The price was a factor as well: Rainsong was several hundred dollars more.
I think they are both excellent guitars for specific purposes> for example, travel or keeping in a stand next to your TV watching chair.
For travel, they are next to perfect as they fit in airline overhead compartments and 'accept' differences in humidity, heat and cold.
For 'TV chair use, if you accidentally knock it off the stand, or bump it, it will usually not 'ding'. Great if you have kids or pets.

The only negative of each is that the tone, when compared to wood guitars, is somewhat harsh. Not a pure sound for a purist. But NOT bad!

My most humble opinion.....
Old 10-24-2014, 10:55 AM

I have a CA GX, the cargo's bigger brother. I did have a Rainsong parlor in my possession for a week and enjoyed it alot. I have briefly played a Cargo and wasn't too keen on it, although I know a lot like it.
Even though I prefer CA over Rainsong in the larger models, I'd choose a Rainsong Parlor over a cargo for a smaller guitar. But as others have mentioned, they are very different animals. My 2c.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 10-24-2014, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Something about the RainSong Parlor that surprised me...

It reminds me a bit of the Taylor GSmini in the fact that it sounds bigger than it is. I have a RainSong Shorty. I bought it with the premise that it would be my "travel guitar," taking the place of the GSmini. The Parlor was new on the scene when I bought the Shorty, and I hadn't seen one in person.

When I later had the opportunity to play a Parlor, I was surprised that it sounds as big as the Shorty. And, the Shorty sounds big. I guess I expect as a guitar gets smaller, the sound gets less and thinner. The GSmini made me reconsider that, but the RS Parlor truly surprised me... in a good way.

I have a comfortable (for me) variety of wood guitars, too. The Shorty changed my mind about "non-wood" guitars - I LOVE the sound and the way it plays. If I were looking for something smaller for travel, the Parlor would be at the top of the list. We travel a lot, but generally have our own conveyance (RV or boat) to make the miles. Dealing with an overhead compartment on an airline is a situation we avoid as much as possible.

The other consideration for those who have to do the airline thing would be the new Journey OF660.

Great to have CF options in this smaller category.

Captain Jim
Old 10-24-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
I'm interested in both to replace my GSM Hog. I love my GSM but I don't love the 1-11/16" nut width, amazing how that 1/16" makes such a difference.

Both of these instruments look impressive on paper but there are no dealers in my area. So if you own one or better yet if you've had the chance to play both, please let me know what you think.

Thanks!!!
Here is a quick CF travel guitar shootout we recorded for a client that includes both the Rainsong Parlor and the Cargo that might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i3DaD0IdRU

Old 10-24-2014, 03:17 PM

I have a GS Mini, had a Rainsong Parlor, have tried many Cargos and lastly had a Blackbird L13 for a week. Where we part company is that I like the neck of the GS Mini so take my thoughts in that context. The Kevin Michael looks very interesting to me but I have not played it. I liked the Rainsong alot buy never thought the beefy neck worked for me on this guitar. The Cargos just never did it for me. Loved the L13 with its new voicing when I had it for a week. Just stagged a used one on ebay today. I really think its my favorite of the group, but there are no wrong choices here. We will see if the L13 sticks.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 10-25-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

I have not played the Rainsong, so I'll leave that comparison to others. I have owned a Cargo Raw for almost a year... and I love it. It's a different animal from a wood guitar, but it's a super-comfortable guitar to play for hours. It has considerable bass... way more than I was expecting.

What I didn't expect was the tremendous difference between the Raw and the high gloss versions. The are very different, so if you can, play them both. I found the high gloss much more of an empty, hollow sound. The Raw was a different ballgame... much better tone, better balance and more shimmering trebles.

I don't think it will ever replace my wooden guitars, but it's a joy to have around. It's one of my travel guitars, my camp guitar and the one that sits out all year-round.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

I had a cargo and now own a rain song p 12. both are great guitars.
For me the difference is the cargo is a travel guitar, it's nice but here's some trade off for the size. The parlor is a small guitar that sounds like you expect a 0 size guitar to sound. No trade off for travel considerations.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber