The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-25-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
I disagree with you on this, respectfully. I think you enjoy a somewhat rarefied perspective on such things. Being a luthier/builder forces you to be aware of specifics of which most players aren't aware and never consider unless the issue becomes problematic.
There is some truth to that, but I was a relatively accomplished player before I was a guitar maker. It was exactly the awareness of these subtleties as a player that lead me to believe "I could do better" than the off-the-rack options and lead me to make my own instruments. I'm not "forced" to be aware of anything anymore than anyone else is "forced" to be aware of things. For example, I could build Martin dreadnought clones, copying every detail, without knowing anything "of the specifics of which most players aren't aware". I'm not aware of these "specifics" because I build instruments. I'm aware of these specifics because I spent time to pay attention to details and subtleties and think about them. Same as anyone else does who's aware of these specifics.

For example, you, by your own statements, are aware of the issue of having strings too close to the edges of the fingerboard. Whether or not you can find an instrument that increases that distance or not is another story. But, you are aware of it. You learned of the problem through your own experience and paying attention.

Discussion of certain things is fine, but it doesn't replace hands-on experience and the direct knowledge that can be obtained from it. That's all I'm trying to say.

Last edited by charles Tauber; 10-25-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
I'm not "forced" to be aware of anything anymore than anyone else is "forced" to be aware of things.
I think every professional has little choice but to focus on the aspects of his profession that guide his work and form his reputation. That's what I mean by forced, and frankly, any professional (in any field) who fails to maintain that focus does so at his own peril.

You and I are both pretty analytical and precise in our thinking and observations. I've been playing acoustic guitar fingerstyle since the mid 1970s, but didn't feel impelled to look beyond my one guitar for the first thirty+ years...but ah ain't stoopid. I never considered (or had reason to consider) such things as "why the fretboard might widen more than the string spacing as I play up the neck". And now I'm looking into "fret wire dimensions" only because I experienced difficulty in that regard recently.

I'm just guessing, but I doubt that one acoustic guitarist in a thousand thinks seriously about such things. If your clients do, that's because you're making instruments for people who are really into this, and I'll bet most wouldn't know to ask about certain options/possibilities unless you raise the issue in the first place. And before you argue the point, think about how many guitars are bought worldwide in a year versus how many are individually spec'd and built to order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Discussion of certain things is fine, but it doesn't replace hands-on experience and the direct knowledge that can be obtained from it. That's all I'm trying to say.
I understand, and agree. Of course, for we who have less opportunity to go hands-on, an online forum such as this is a Godsend. Assuming I will step up to a pair of hand-made guitars eventually, I'll know exactly what to ask for - due in large part to my experiences here at AGF and the further research it encourages. So thanks.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:04 AM

Well then if ya go for the tall and narrow then you can always go back and get them dressed to short. It's like the whole measure once cut twice thing
Old 10-27-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Well then if ya go for the tall and narrow then you can always go back and get them dressed to short. It's like the whole measure once cut twice thing
I know it as "measure twice, cut once" but your version works just as well. HA!

And yeah, another carpenter's rule of thumb is, "We just ran out of 'Wood Stretcher' so cut large and shape it to fit."

We're out of fret stretcher, too, so I'm with you. Make them large and I can always trim 'em back a little...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair