The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-04-2016, 01:42 PM

Default Wood vs Plastic Binding

So I have a couple guitars that have wood binding...while falling asleep the other night I was wondering what opinions are out there on bindings. Would a wood binding help the tone in any way? Similar to bridge pins being plastic vs wood? I'm sure if it would it would be a minuscule difference, but would it make one?
'07 Seagull Artist Studio Burst 12
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 09-04-2016, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

I can't imagine binding material altering the tone. Plastic bindings may actually be a bit more functional for their intended purpose, keeping the edges of the guitar safe in minor bumps. Plastic is more resilient than wood, generally. But wood bindings can be very pretty and I like them. Honestly, binding material has never played any role in my decision to buy or pass over a guitar.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:54 PM

I can't say it was the reason for purchasing either, but I do love how it looks. Means everything except the bridge/nut are wood on them which is nice to think about. I can't imagine it would ever make a huge difference, but in my endless thinking imagined it must vibrate to some extent with the top/back?
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 09-04-2016, 04:33 PM

Default Binding

I'm going to join the "no effect" crowd, but aesthetically, it's a big improvement over any plastic binding I've seen.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisStarlight View Post
I can't say it was the reason for purchasing either, but I do love how it looks. Means everything except the bridge/nut are wood on them which is nice to think about. I can't imagine it would ever make a huge difference, but in my endless thinking imagined it must vibrate to some extent with the top/back?
I doubt the binding vibrates at all and form a node like the nut.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 09-05-2016, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Binding is installed to seal the endgrain of the top and back - the ledges that are cut to install it almost isolate the top from the sides, allowing the top/back to vibrate more freely - the material used for the binding would have no effect on the tone. The kerfing might -
Old 09-05-2016, 01:37 PM

I doubt it. To be honest, I have yet to be convinced that bridge pin materials make a tonal difference.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 09-05-2016, 01:45 PM

Nah, you won't be able to hear it, but it can be beautiful. Then again, so can a crisp white line. It's an aesthetic thing, and I think it varies from guitar to guitar.

P
Old 09-05-2016, 01:53 PM

Synthetic binding (celluloid being the earliest widely used binding material) was incorporated as tadol stated, as a way to effectively seal top and back plate end grain, with secondary "bump" protection. Since the binding ledge spans across the lining strips it does not allow the top and sides to vibrate any more than if binding were not present. The lining still effectively serves as a rigid coupler between sides and plates.

Due to the use of modern finishes it is no longer necessary as a block to humidity entering end grain, so no problem with wood binding or even no binding at all, seen on many instruments today.

Plastic binding cheapens any instrument IMHO, although if it's tasteful I don't find it a deal breaker to purchasing an instrument. There's nothing quite like stark white binding up against a beautiful figured wood.

If you're counting on plastic binding to protect edges from bumps it would probably be better to learn to treat an instrument more carefully. I'll trade a few small binding dents any day for the look of curly maple wood binding.

My larger objection is that eventually plastic shrinks, and there are many instruments with loose binding due to dissimilar materials being glued together. The plastic bindings of today are much more shrink resistant, but give it 50 years and then make judgement.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:22 PM

That was my other thoughts, that since it is also wood it will hopefully expand and contract with the rest of the body during changes.
I had no idea if it would affect tone in even the slightest or not, but figured it was an interesting theory.
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 09-05-2016, 04:21 PM

IMO ivory and tortoise colored celluloid makes a very beautiful and functional binding, which is traditional for steel string guitars. The most valuable steel string acoustics are bound with it. And Richard Hoover says that celluloid (nitrocellulose) IS wood! Win-win!
Old 09-05-2016, 04:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

When I voice my guitar tops I use a clamping system to hold the braced top while I carve and refine the braces, tapping as I go. The condition and material of the clamp makes a big difference. Binding is a big part of the glued anchoring on a finished top. Wood binding rings better than plastic does. Does it make a difference? I don't know but, I only will use wood binding

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 09-05-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
When I voice my guitar tops I use a clamping system to hold the braced top while I carve and refine the braces, tapping as I go. The condition and material of the clamp makes a big difference. Binding is a big part of the glued anchoring on a finished top. Wood binding rings better than plastic does. Does it make a difference? I don't know but, I only will use wood binding
Most (if not all) high end luthier-built guitars have wood binding. My 3 Larrivees and my Goodall all have wood binding. Not sure if it makes a sound difference, but for aesthetics, wood looks much nicer to me.
1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan
Old 09-05-2016, 06:01 PM

I prefer wood binding.

But if it's going to be "plastic", make mine ivoroid or tortoise-shell, please.

I really don't understand why Martin uses that awful WHITE binding on so many of its guitars. Just ugly!
Old 09-05-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
...There's nothing quite like stark white binding up against a beautiful figured wood...
Can't say I agree with you there.

I find this plastic against the bird's eye maple to be quite handsome.

But for the OP's question, as other have said, I believe the kerfling and top braces have more impact on how well a top vibrates. And also agree with Tadol, that the binding may actually help isolate the top from transferring vibration to the sides.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion