The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Did you put any arc on the top? What humidity level are you building in?
There is a very small arc, about 3 mm. I don`t have a device to measure humidity. The carbon doesnt require it, but the cedar will be affected if it is to moist. I like to seal the wood on both sides to prevent moisture getting in and possibly leading to cracking in the future.

I keep my wood in a metal server cabinet, and then put it in that room a few weeks to aclimatise before using it. The room can never be cold.

I guess i should pick up one of those devices to be sure, but the budget is a bit tight right now. I only build and invent new stuff and i have never sold anything. ^_^

That is why i have to do a kickstarter soon for 8 units, being an inventor and never selling anything is not economical.

I could also try to sell this prototype instead of crowdfunding and buy materials from that, but i need to buy a big roll of carbon to get a price reduction per square meter (100m is almost 40% cheaper per m2 then 1 m2).

I like the ideas of leveling in quality with the money from a crowdfunding, but building 8 guitars to order is s responsibility not to be taken lightly. I really like to have creative freedom in deciding what to do.

Last edited by littlesmith; 03-31-2015 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:04 PM

Gluing the cedar headplate :

This ebony is not glued, this is only to spread the pressure without damaging the delicate cedar.

The round sticks are to support the weight of the clamps, so it does not put strain on the neck to head transition.

Cut the soundhole :

Old 03-31-2015, 05:54 PM

This is extremely cool - I admire your initiative, creativity and talent! I look forward to seeing and hearing this guitar when you've finished.

On a related note, I also look forward to the day when we can design custom CF guitars ourselves using software designed for this purpose and then simply "print" them out with one of those CF 3D printers.

Best of luck to you!
Old 04-01-2015, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterX View Post
This is extremely cool - I admire your initiative, creativity and talent! I look forward to seeing and hearing this guitar when you've finished.

On a related note, I also look forward to the day when we can design custom CF guitars ourselves using software designed for this purpose and then simply "print" them out with one of those CF 3D printers.

Best of luck to you!
Thank you!!

That carbon printer that uses a continues strand to print, but its $5000, hehe.

You wont have the twill weave then, so it will be weaker then this method. But it would be phenominal if i could print a carbon bracing system straight onto the soundboard from 1 strand. I better buy a lottery ticket, hehe.

Last edited by littlesmith; 04-01-2015 at 02:38 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:50 AM

Headstock plate dry (cut it out with the bandsaw,if you cut if before gluing you might compress the edges and make dents) :

Route the edge with ball bearing routerbit :

Nice and flush :

Drill holes :

Bigger holes and routing directions :

Routing :

There was paper tape under there so i would not have to get glue remnants off :

Cutting where the router can not come due to the slope :

Cleaning it up :

Not too shabby!

Last edited by littlesmith; 04-01-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:29 AM

Routed the headstock binding channel :

Glueing the side strips :

Fretted the fingerboard off the guitar. Its a bit unconventional, but my supplyer only had a fingerboard that was not wide enough, i had to add bindings. This way i could file the bottoms of the frets that stick out in 1 line, so the frets feet are not visible from the side. The neck was super flat and the bottom of the fretboards as well, so there should be no problems. I have thought of a better method for the next guitar.

Gluing the fingerboard on (the wooden strips are pushing the bindings inward, i am glugin the fingerboard and bindings in 1 go) :

Last edited by littlesmith; 04-02-2015 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:16 AM

Old 04-05-2015, 08:16 PM

Location: Darwin, Australia, 12.5 degrees south of the equator

Interesting thread. I quite like the way the headstock slots don't continue right through and have never seen a feature like it before. I am making a headstock at the moment that has sort of fake slots that I will put "Pegheds" in from the back, mainly cause I thought the way those Pegheds are made was so cool I just had to buy a set to see what they were like. Chuck was very helpful and put up with my back and fourth email questions till he offered me a custom peg (well sort of, all he had to do was to add a taller post to his 8mm ukulele Pegheds to get me what I wanted).
If I chose car racing instead.
Jim Schofield
Old 04-06-2015, 07:24 AM

Do you mean like this? (not my guitar)
Old 04-06-2015, 11:40 PM

Yep, those style tuners but I put fake headstock slots in. Your closed back slots reminded me of it.
Jim Schofield
Old 04-08-2015, 11:43 AM

This will be the next prototype :

White carbon fiber / fyberglass hybrid fabric with blackwash soundboard. ooooowie! This will be a customshop guitar (customers will be able to choose everything with a customshop guitar, materials, colors, rosette, tuners...
Old 04-08-2015, 08:18 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Really interesting build - probably our first CF/hybrid. The next prototype sounds interesting too. I always wondered why builders didn't use colored CF material. I asked CA once and they said something about stability and strength.... Emerald guitars does something interesting - tinting the epoxy somehow to get their different colors.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesmith View Post
customers will be able to choose everything with a customshop guitar, materials, colors, rosette, tuners...
When you say choice of colours does that mean choice of colours for the back and the neck, if so how do you colour it. Will you use a gel coat? Also do you know of any reason why you could not use a aramid fibre mat as it has that sort of tanish neutralish colour already rather than black?
Jim Schofield
Old 04-09-2015, 06:04 AM

Before you think of offering different colors it might be best to concentrate on how the guitar sounds.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:50 AM

I agree with printer 2 that sound is very important. It also might be a good move on a prototype to put it in the hands of a musician for a year or so and see how the construction holds up. You certainly would not want to get them back with problems after investing all the time and money you have. I did two prototypes with a different side bevel a while back and plan on waiting a few years to see if problems develop. One is in the hands of a musician and the other I play every day. So far things are good although I found out that a bevel on the back is not always a good thing if you play classical style as the guitar has a tendency to slip forward like the Ovations use to do. I guess that is why they put a pad on the bottom. Might have to do the same.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
tools vs craftsmanship