The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-06-2014, 05:34 PM

Definitely Spruce.....and Definitely a great buy! Enjoy.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 09-06-2014, 07:41 PM

Throw a pick at it. If it dents it is cedar.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:25 PM

What a deal.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 09-06-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootch View Post
What a deal.
Absolutely. You made a great buy, Jimmy.

whm
Old 09-07-2014, 02:03 AM

Thank you for all the comments.I will definitely post the pictures soon as I get home because I still think that it's not Sitka so everyone can see what it really looks like.If you live in Los Angeles, you will find so many great deal on CL.For example, there is one going right now.It is ooo-16GT brand new for $600.So my deal is very common around here.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:44 PM

Yeah, that was a nice buy. The top on mine looks a lot like that and I am also sure that it is spruce, though I also wondered about it at first. These are really versatile for fingerstyle and for use with a pick. After not touching either this guitar or a pick for some time and then taking one to this, I am really glad I held on to mine. Congratulations!
Old 09-07-2014, 03:01 PM

jimmyboy...

Make sure to stay clear of those dreadful cheap Seagulls, hear now?

Oh, the fact that it looks like cedar to you has nothing to do with whether or not it's spuce...their appearances are often similar enough to cause confusion.

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

2006 Art & Lutherie Ami Parlor: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Black Satin Lacquer
2006 Art & Lutherie Dreadnought: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Natural Satin Lacquer

You can't change the tide with an oar. ---Nick Bracco (Gary Ponzo)
Old 09-07-2014, 03:18 PM

Jimmyboy,
If you put a space after the period at the end of each sentence, your posts would be easier to read.
Sitka spruce can have very tight grain, and that is what I see in the photo.
Martin made a few cedar-topped HD-28's (stamped 'CHD-28') around 1990, but cedar top Martins after that are very rare....and would definitely be stamped 'custom'.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:26 PM

Here is exactly what I am talking about. I believed this is cedar spruce not Sitka spruce. What*do you think? ??
Please click on the pictures for closer look.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:35 PM

Serial number is 1296086
Old 09-17-2014, 10:13 PM

Did you call Martin Customer Service with the serial number like I suggested? Instead of us squinting at your pictures, you can get a definitive answer just by calling Martin at 800-345-3103 during East Coast business hours and asking them.

And by the way, yes, even in those photos, that still looks like spruce to me. I realize that deep in your heart you're still hoping we're all wrong and you're right and it's really cedar, but - truly - it's spruce.

For one thing, that chatoyance and slight color difference of the two halves of the top in this tiny picture:

shows that it's spruce. Cedar doesn't do that, or if it does I've never seen it. But it's quite common in book-matched spruce tops.

But you clearly don't want to believe what we've all been telling you, so think what you like. I won't be expending any more energy trying to convince you of that which is obvious to the rest of us.

Sincerely,

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 09-17-2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Did you call Martin Customer Service with the serial number like I suggested? Instead of us squinting at your pictures, you can get a definitive answer just by calling Martin at 800-345-3103 during East Coast business hours and asking them.

And by the way, yes, even in those photos, that still looks like spruce to me. I realize that deep in your heart you're still hoping we're all wrong and you're right and it's really cedar, but - truly - it's spruce.

For one thing, that chatoyance and slight color difference of the two halves of the top in this tiny picture:

shows that it's spruce. Cedar doesn't do that, or if it does I've never seen it. But it's quite common in book-matched spruce tops.

But you clearly don't want to believe what we've all been telling you, so think what you like. I won't be expending any more energy trying to convince you of that which is obvious to the rest of us.

Sincerely,

Wade Hampton Miller
Sorry to make you feel that way. I am not trying to prove everyone wrong.If I know for certain, I wouldn't started this topic from the first place. Last week, someone here asked me to post some pictures so he can get a better look at it . So I did as I promised .

Sincerely,

Jimmy
Old 09-17-2014, 10:53 PM
Guest 728

Wade, if you click on the pictures, they get bigger. Your entire response was unnecessarily and uncharacteristically rude.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:17 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyboy View Post
Here is exactly what I am talking about. I believed this is cedar spruce not Sitka spruce. What*do you think?
I see nothing in the photos that makes me believe it's anything other than Sitka.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:27 PM
Charter Member

Im agreeing with the general opinions here, I think likely its 99.9% chance its Sitka.
Don't judge by the toner/coloring.

Outside of the CHD-28 model it would be extremely unlikely to be anything but Sitka Spruce. Martin are not big fans of Cedar, its simply not the tone, look or building choice for their steel string instruments.

Just be glad you got a guitar you really like for a good price.
:-)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion