The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-18-2014, 04:05 AM

Hey jimmyboy, it's Cedar. The 2008 JC-16RE Aura was a Cedar topped model. Don't bother with calling Martin's customer service, because they usually get it wrong (their record keeping isn't very good) and they'll probably tell you Sitka because it's what they usually use on all their other models, but this one was a special edition (175th Anniversary).

Ignore people like Todd Yates, who doesn't own any Martins and has very little to do with Martins in fact, and the same goes for Wade Hampton Miller, who has a terrible reputation on this forum for being very unknowledgeable. I note that John Arnold has also made a post attacking your format of posting instead of addressing the issue, he probably fancies himself a luthier. They're all probably just jealous that they couldn't find a Cedar topped Martin like you. You are absolutely correct when you say that it is Cedar because you simply cannot get Sitka that is so beautifully grained.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:29 AM

Thank you everyone again for your responding to my post. I already got the answer . And yes, it is spruce like everyone said. And again just to clarify. I am not trying to prove that anyone wrong here . If this post disturbing someone. Please accept my apologies . The reason I re-post pictures because someone here asked me last week to post some pictures and I did . I guess sometime communication through keyword can make people misunderstood . I'll be more careful next time.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Clearly a cetka top.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-18-2014, 09:20 AM

Default sitka or cedar?

Here's a simple test - smell it. Cedar has a distinctive aroma. Sitka has little. My first Martin, a 1969 or so 0018, was sold to me as mahoghany/sitka, but later I decided it was really cedar. It was dark from the beginning and the grain looked more like cedar as well. And every time I opened the cardboard case which came with it, that cedar aroma flooded the air.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyboy View Post
Thank you everyone again for your responding to my post. I already got the answer . And yes, it is spruce like everyone said. And again just to clarify. I am not trying to prove that anyone wrong here . If this post disturbing someone. Please accept my apologies . The reason I re-post pictures because someone here asked me last week to post some pictures and I did . I guess sometime communication through keyword can make people misunderstood . I'll be more careful next time.
That's a classy, humble post. We don't see a lot of apologies or admissions of being wrong around here. You seem like a nice guy, and I hope you'll enjoy both the guitar and the forum.

You got a heck of a good deal. Maybe experiment with strings and a good set-up. There is a chance you'll find the tones you're looking for in that guitar.

Be well.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:06 PM

Jimmyboy and Willie, my apologies for being cranky. I posted when I was tired, and obviously shouldn't have.

Wade Hampton Miller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion