The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-27-2014, 08:42 AM

That.

Is.

Amazing!
Old 01-27-2014, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

This guitar is simply stunning in every detail. It already looks like it will sound amazing!!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 01-27-2014, 02:00 PM

Thanks, everyone!!!
Old 01-27-2014, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Yes, thank you everyone for looking and your nice comments. I know that inlays are not everyone's bailiwick, but from the get-go, I had envisioned something ornate. The inspiration for this was Kevin Ryan's "Gold Rush" guitar. We had a brief discussion about that Ryan guitar, but I still wanted something that was uniquely a Stehr. This concept went out the window when I had my idea of doing a hummingbird inlay, but as I said before, that ended up getting cancelled. We had many different ideas afterward, but eventually it organically ended up going back to the ornate theme. Joel delivered. He is an artist in every sense of the word, and I am excited to soon be able revel in his creation for years many to come.

As fine as it looks now, I am eagerly awaiting to see how it looks with finish. Something tells me that I'm in for a treat
Old 01-28-2014, 03:41 PM

Very nice!
Old 01-28-2014, 04:41 PM

Joel's inlays are beautiful -- no need to look elsewhere.

Congrats on getting this build started.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Joel's inlays are beautiful -- no need to look elsewhere.

Congrats on getting this build started.
Thank you Mau. You are correct, Joel's inlays are indeed beautiful, and I am extremely happy with how things worked out. In fact, ectatic! However, when we first were conceptualizing, I was interested in puting my limited "artistic" input into the project. Joel still made me feel like I had a lot of say in the matter, but of course the results are 100% Joel (which makes it even cooler IMO).

Here are some pictures that I created that we started with. We had talked about the inlay artist coming up with his own artwork by creating a hybrid of both of my ideas. Again, while that didn't materialize, I am not the least bid saddened by it (you will see why in the next day or two.)

Old 03-20-2014, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Well the time has come! Not only does Joel make beautiful guitars, he also takes wonderful photos. Words do not express how pleased I am. Thanks Joel!

Old 03-20-2014, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Holy cow. Draw-droppingly beautiful. I keep typing, then backspacing because I can't describe it. When will it be in your hands? When do you think we can hear a sound clip?

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 03-20-2014, 10:57 AM
Guest 213

Perfection! That's a breath-taking instrument...
Old 03-20-2014, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Holy cow. Draw-droppingly beautiful. I keep typing, then backspacing because I can't describe it. When will it be in your hands? When do you think we can hear a sound clip?
Thanks Mike! I asked Joel to contact the bridge pin maker you found, and he set it all up for me, hassle free. Your curvy lines were also an inspiration as well as the rosette on my Lucky Strike GA for this build. So, another THANK YOU for that! I'm giddy just thinking about holding it in my arms!

Joel is still letting it settle in and has a little bit of set up to do, but I'm hoping to have it soon! As for sound clips: I was afraid you were going to ask that. My recording equipment consists of my iPad and an Apogee Mic, but we'll see if I can be as brave as you were!
Old 03-20-2014, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
Perfection! That's a breath-taking instrument...
Thanks Jon. Joel is a STUD!
Old 03-20-2014, 09:38 PM

Jeez. That is one of the most magnificent instruments I've ever seen. Congrats.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBE View Post
Jeez. That is one of the most magnificent instruments I've ever seen. Congrats.
Thank you! I clicked on your link and I really enjoyed your playing and creativity. Keep it up

Well I've had the guitar for a little over a week now. As my grandpa used to say, "I've been busier than a one-legged man in an A** kicking contest", so I haven't had a whole lot of time to play it. I did get in a decent session last Friday, but other than that, I've only had a few brief plucking encounters.

I had told Joel that while I have read that new guitars are "tight" and need time to open up, to my ears this guitar does feel that way. However, out of the box it is warm, has lots of headroom and sounds increadibly rich with lots of sustain. At first, having 8 strings takes a little bit getting used to, but as I continued to play, the 2 extra octave stings bring out a whole other dimension to my playing. It really is a hoot to play, and it brings out a different vibe to a lot of the songs that I like to play.

Visually, as I have mentioned before, the guitar is dark and beautiful. I have been fond of Joel's hour-glass shape small jumbo since I first discovered him, and with the rib and arm bevels, it feels even more comfortable than my GC guitars that I have. It fills me with excitement every time I open the case. While Joel's pictures are stellar, to hold and admire it in person, is something that pictures can't capture. From all angles, it's awesome to see how all the dark woods harmonize with each other, and the result is one magnificent instrument. When we were choosing the binding, I told Joel how I liked the "stripey" Macassar, and as your eye runs along all of the places where you see Macassar, it is everything that I was hoping for and more! Like the guitar, I chose a dark case: A black Ameritage case with brown trim and brown crushed velvet interior. This is my 4th Ameritage, so I already am familiar with how heavy they are, but they are nice. It also has the Stehr logo ebroidered on it.

As a very thoughtful jesture, Joel gave me a pen that his dad had made. It is made out of some scrap Macassar from my guitar. A classy jesture from a classy guy that made a classy guitar. I have plans to spend some time with it again this weekend, and if I can figure out how to post a decent soundclip, I might find the courage to actually post it.

A tip of the hat to my friend Joel... YeeHaw!!
Old 04-11-2014, 04:52 PM

Mind-boggling beauty. Just incredible workmanship and design. Can't imagine owning such a thing, compared to my humble OM-15. But maybe I will some day!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop