The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-10-2014, 01:50 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychojohn View Post

Old 01-11-2014, 12:54 AM

That's RJ doing the actual work, btw....

I just watched and took pictures...
Old 01-11-2014, 04:30 PM

Interesting. I didn't realize Ed was offering options like zebra wood binding and rosette. Glad to hear it though! I'm sure you'll be pleased with the result.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:34 PM

From time to time I have bits of extra stuff around. Usually I take the bindings from the sides, but if people ask for something and I have it, I'll try to accommodate.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:26 AM

Default The Back

Here's the back. Glad I didn't opt for a "cleaner"/more monochromatic piece of primavera.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:32 AM

Default What makes this build so special ?

The Zebra wood rosette and binding. Here's the first rosette which apparently imploded vs exploded vs ?

Here is the re do:

Old 01-20-2014, 09:33 AM

Default What makes this build so special ?

duplicate post. sorry

Last edited by psychojohn; 01-20-2014 at 09:37 AM. Reason: duplicate post
Old 01-20-2014, 09:35 AM

Default Ready for Binding

All looking good to me. A happy camper.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:

All looking good to me. A happy camper.
Looks like you have a winner there. I love the colouring of that Primavera, can't wait to see what she looks like all finished up.. Then Ed will be closer to starting on mine.

Ensor ES (Sycamore/Lutz)
Halcyon (Flamed walnut/Engelmann)
Taylor 324ce
Taylor Baritone 6
Warwick Streamer
Eastman MD505

"I only drink coffee on days ending in 'y' "
Old 01-20-2014, 10:27 AM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeeaddict View Post
Looks like you have a winner there. I love the colouring of that Primavera, can't wait to see what she looks like all finished up.. Then Ed will be closer to starting on mine.
It's kinda a slow torture, isn't it ? All good things come to he that waits.

John
Old 01-20-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
It's kinda a slow torture, isn't it ? All good things come to he that waits.

John
That's why owning more than one guitar is helpful - it eases the pain of waiting.

Ensor ES (Sycamore/Lutz)
Taylor 324ce
Taylor Baritone 6
Warwick Streamer
Eastman MD505

Old 01-21-2014, 08:07 AM

Default More updates

Here is the trashed top from a sap line coming out of the rosette. Shop guitar material per Ed.

Sanding her down

Old 01-22-2014, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

I'm enjoying watching this build thread...and interested in how the primevera works out. The eves dropping on your build is kind of therapeutic for me too...I've got a twelve fret 000 with Lutz over Padauk on order...

I think its cool that Ed is interested in trying non-traditional woods on the Hacyon line.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneck View Post
I'm enjoying watching this build thread...and interested in how the primevera works out. The eves dropping on your build is kind of therapeutic for me too...I've got a twelve fret 000 with Lutz over Padauk on order...

I think its cool that Ed is interested in trying non-traditional woods on the Hacyon line.
That was my original wood combination until I went home and checked my existing acoustics and found my Martin DPAC1 had rosewood back and sides which the Padauk would have closely resembled tonally. I wanted to avoid that duplication so went with the Primavera cause it is similar to mohogony tonally and I have no hogs in my stable. I really like the multiple colors of the Padauk which make for a unique build which is why I was initially drawn to it. I was wanting to avoid the dark brown sides and back with light top combination and the reddish-orangishness of the padauk certainly fit that bill. When I saw one completed and all shined up fro the first time, I just about changed back to it but for the tonal duplication. Thus the light primavera to avoid the dark brown sides and back and get a tone unique to my stable.

Thanks for your interest. I'm sure we'll be pleased with our builds. That Padauk wood will make an awesome one of a kind looking build and look way way way more expensive than what your paying. congrats !!! Bet you the sound won't be too shabby either.

John
Old 01-22-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
That was my original wood combination until I went home and checked my existing acoustics and found my Martin DPAC1 had rosewood back and sides which the Padauk would have closely resembled tonally. I wanted to avoid that duplication so went with the Primavera cause it is similar to mohogony tonally and I have no hogs in my stable. I really like the multiple colors of the Padauk which make for a unique build which is why I was initially drawn to it. I was wanting to avoid the dark brown sides and back with light top combination and the reddish-orangishness of the padauk certainly fit that bill. When I saw one completed and all shined up fro the first time, I just about changed back to it but for the tonal duplication. Thus the light primavera to avoid the dark brown sides and back and get a tone unique to my stable.

Thanks for your interest. I'm sure we'll be pleased with our builds. That Padauk wood will make an awesome one of a kind looking build and look way way way more expensive than what your paying. congrats !!! Bet you the sound won't be too shabby either.

John
It took me a while to settle on the wood combo. I considered going with primavera but eventually settled on walnut/engelmann. Based on the photos Ed sent me of the walnut, I think there should be a good contrast on the colours. Nothing too dark or too light.

Yours is really starting to come together John, can't wait to see the finished product. Are you planning on sharing sounds clips when the time comes?

Colin

Ensor ES (Sycamore/Lutz)
Taylor 324ce
Taylor Baritone 6
Warwick Streamer
Eastman MD505

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop