The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-15-2014, 05:17 PM

your inlays really are superb. i'd be interested to know of all (or some of) the materials you use for different colours and how the hardness/feel factors in. how do you make them so accurate?

anyway, perhaps these are trade secrets, but they look great and colourful.

what is the round object under the b string between the 14th and 15th fret? is the scale extra long on this? inquiring minds want to know.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:11 PM

No trade secrets here!
The materials I use are primarily shell (9 types), Stone (approx 20 types), metals and occasionally legal ivories (walrus, mastadon).
The primary colours are all the stone. And the form of stone I'm using is called ReconStone, short for Reconstructed stone. The pure ore is pulverized then reassembled into blocks, in a vacuum process, with a resin (like epoxy) to hold it together. You still have 85% the original ore and 15% resin. But what this process does is break down the ore rock into a hard but brittle state, close to bone, and certainly nearer in hardness and workability to shell. Once my old pal Larry Sifel (creator of the company Pearl Works) turned me on to ReconStone back in 1993--something that carvers and knife makers had been using--my colour palette tripled overnight. Now it is a ubiquitous material in the luthier sphere.
The details such as facial features, which you see as black lines, have been slowly hand engraved, then filled in with a particular wax/stearate/dye compound formula. I sell that filler under the name Laskin's Special Blend (Stew-Mac, LMI).

Hope this answers your questions.

Your final question, about a round object under the B string, 14/15 fret, I'm unsure what you're referring to. Is it on the Darwin to DNA guitar?

Grit
Old 05-04-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grit Laskin View Post
Hope this answers your questions.

Your final question, about a round object under the B string, 14/15 fret, I'm unsure what you're referring to. Is it on the Darwin to DNA guitar?

Grit
thank you for the answers, explained a lot. fantastic looking inlays. a little while ago i heard an interview with someone who wrote a book about darwin and the voyage of the beagle prior to its arrival at the galapagos. it was fascinating. evolution really is a profoundly integrating theory.

i realize now the object is actually over the b-string, and is part of the tamco logo (i.e. part of the picture, not the guitar). d'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) UK View Post
Its here and it is truly amazing, if you think the inlay work is incredible you should here it!

Here's a couple more photos.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:01 AM

Now sold..
Old 05-08-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) UK View Post
Now sold..
Congratulations.

The close-up shots were rather persuasive indeed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop