The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-13-2014, 08:57 AM

Default Schertler tuners

I have been reading some reviews on Schertler tuners at the Stew-Mac website. Serveral people had problems with them. One person stated that the Scottys winder will not fit these tuners. Anyone know of a string winder that will fit the Schertlers. Thanks.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:11 AM

I've used them for several years now and never had a problem. They are smooth and with no play in the gears. I don't know about the winder you're talking about but I have 3 different winders and they all fit.

http://www.zozomusic.com/musicstore/...nder-p1163.htm

The planet waves and this Stew-Mac one work too. http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Accessor...EZ-Winder.html

edit: I just looked at the reviews you were talking about. They have fixed the problem with the grain direction on the ebony buttons. No longer an issue.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:04 AM

Kent,Thank-you very much for your thorough respose. Looks like I'll be ok with a set on my new buy.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:03 PM

Schertlers are suitable for fine guitars. The large buttons are easy to turn--that is a plus. The fit of some winder to them is not a problem with the tuner.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Choosing a tuner to fit a winder makes little sense to me. I am a fan of the Schertler tuner. I too am unfamiliar with the device in question and have several convenience winders that do fit the Schertler. I didn't use a winder for the first 20 years of my career, I am not sure they existed. We didn't have TV remotes either, or keyless entry. Life was hard.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:28 PM

Default Winders

I've seen far more damage done by the careless use of these than the convenience could possibly justify. Just my $.02.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Choosing a tuner to fit a winder makes little sense to me. I am a fan of the Schertler tuner. I too am unfamiliar with the device in question and have several convenience winders that do fit the Schertler. I didn't use a winder for the first 20 years of my career, I am not sure they existed. We didn't have TV remotes either, or keyless entry. Life was hard.
+1

It's like not buying a house because you don't like how the walls are painted.

I've never found the need for winders. I'm pretty meticulous with how I string my guitars...so I prefer to manually wind them. But I do it so infrequently it's really not much of a hassle.

I've never used the Schertler tuners...but I love the looks of them. I'd definitely not pass on them because a certain winder won't fit.

P.S. When growing up my brother and I WERE the remote for the TV. "Change the channel. Change the channel. Change the channel." Good times.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:17 AM

The Schertlers that Mark put on my Greta are the best tuners I've ever used. Beautifully engineered and very precise. Don't worry about the winder issue....

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 04-14-2014, 10:43 AM

I have decided to have the Schertlers. Any suggestions for a string winder. I read that my old stand by ,Scottys wont fit.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop