The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-18-2008, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Default K&K Mini with Aphex Aural Exciter

Has anyone tried this combo? Trying to hold off buying the Pure XLR preamp if I don't need to, and I already have this pre-amp. I haven't got the K&K installed yet, so I haven't been able to try.

Or, should I just bite the bullet and get the K&K preamp?

Thoughts?
Old 09-18-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almesy View Post
Has anyone tried this combo? Trying to hold off buying the Pure XLR preamp if I don't need to, and I already have this pre-amp. I haven't got the K&K installed yet, so I haven't been able to try.

Thoughts?
I think the main concern would be the impedance match-up between the K&K and the Aphex. I dont know what the impedance input is on the Aphex but if it's close to the output impedance on the K&K it should work out OK. Best bet is to install the K&K and see what you get.....
Old 09-18-2008, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Thoughts?
Hi almesy...
I usually encourage people to wait and try it first, then decide if there is more needed. It is impossible to predict what your guitar and K&K and Aural Exciter would sound like - even if we did know if you are playing through an amp, or direct to the PA and via a direct-box or just straight in.

Lots of variables - and I think the impedence issue is over-emphasized. I have 4 K&Ks which I run through three non-K&K preamps most of the time - and all without issues - (and I own a K&K preamp as a backup as well).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-18-2008, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Good points made. I was just trying to plan ahead. Hate to buy anything more if I don't need to. And incidentally, it would be through a PA system, probably by-passing the direct box if the preamp had an XLR connection.

thanks again.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:00 PM

Try it . Like Larry said the impedance may not be an issue. I've used K&K with a Baggs Padi and didnt notice a big problem with it either... Good luck.

Ryan
Old 09-18-2008, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Good points made. I was just trying to plan ahead. Hate to buy anything more if I don't need to.
Hi almesy...
Trial and error is a free method if you limit yourself to what you already own.

I'm not sure any of us in this group have the exact combination of guitar, effect, pickup, and PA you do - and even if we did, we may not play exactly like you do. Please keep us posted after all is in and working...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-18-2008, 07:16 PM

If you get the "acoustic xciter" it has a 10ohm impedance. If you get the "guitar xciter" it has a 1ohm impedance. Looks like your better off with the guitar xciter, but let me warn you I have gone through 2 acoustic xciter, and let me tell you....they are garbage! Both units footswitch failed. I just ordered a BBE sonic stomp (1ohm impedance) it has better noise to signal ratio also (70dB vs 94dB)

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48
Old 09-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

I already have the "Acoustic Aural Exciter" which is OK (I bought it a couple years ago), but doesn't really do that much, at least that my ears can hear, except the two tone controls. It's OK, but I really have found that I rarely use it. I do have the Baggs PADI, which I'll give a try, though everyone complains about the mismatch. Ultimately, my preference would be just to plug straight into the system and skip the whole additional preamp part altogether. The main thing is that I haven't installed the pickup yet, so I have yet to try any combinations at all (I do have the pickups in the box still though).
Old 09-18-2008, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
... my preference would be just to plug straight into the system and skip the whole additional preamp part altogether.
Hi Almesy...
That's quite possible and it may be satisfactory to your ear.

I prefer the preamp enough over none that I carry one, but have played without one for single song not-so-critical gigs.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 09-19-2008, 11:15 AM

I have 3 ags with the K&K mini and I use the K&K non-xlr preamp. It's smaller and less expensive than the xlr. The combo has consistently delivered, from small amps to a large auditorium pa.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
I Ultimately, my preference would be just to plug straight into the system and skip the whole additional preamp part altogether.
if that's the case, than a good DI box maybe a better option for you. Radial and countryman are known for the their DI boxes....give them a look.

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48
Old 09-22-2008, 07:36 AM

The easy fix for the impedence mixmatch with K&K pickups is to add a resistor (1 meg?) across your cable. I forget the exact details, but some searching here should bring up the results. I was having problems going into the para di - well, actually going into pretty much anything - but had a cable made up with solved the problem. Cheap and cheerful solution, but it works!
2003 McIlroy A25c
2003 Larrivee LV-19 CA (for sale)
2000 Parker NiteFly w Roland GK2A
1999 Taylor 510 (for sale)
1988 Lowden S-7
1966 Yairi classical
Old 09-25-2008, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

I don't have the K&K, but I have a guitar exciter and found it useful ... I use it with a PADI at times with several different pu's and it helps dial in some nice shimmer and bottom end, but ... Since it doesn't have volume control or a lot of tone control, I consider it an add-on to a decent preamp.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification